The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Wrassenaround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall, they’re just harder to find in the hobby. If you look for them you’ll find them but it’s one of the harder species to just stumble across.

The way to tell the difference is all in the anal fin - solid yellow is a flavianalis but if it’s like this it’s a carpenteri.
9AD05741-EF09-4596-ABF1-0F5F7CD3E5DF.jpeg

That is my Carpenteri, a lesser noticeable difference is in the striping. That photo shows this difference better as you can clearly see the stripes, this is a fish which the striping is easily missed.
Thats awesome, I purchased all of these from Reef Beauties. First time I've ordered from them. I had some concerns when they first arrived but it seems like they are all doing well.
It seems like I really did get lucky because the photo online doesn't show a solid yellow anal fin.
This particular one was around $60.00

Would it be safe to say its a Yellow Fin Flasher or is it still a carpenters?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure. That does not look like a baby Diamond Tail Flasher. I had several and here are pictures of mine. The vertical bars is not right. Maybe a closer better pictures of your wrasse will help ID her. My juveniles Diamond Tail Flasher with a few progressive pictures. I really hope you got the correct wrasse.
Maybe your fish has stressed pattern, but I did not remember mine look like that on arrival.
P attenuatus2020021606S - Copy.jpg
P attenuatus2020021609SResized - Copy.jpg
P attenuatus2020021801B - Copy.jpg
P attenuatus2020022102S - Copy.jpg
P attenuatus2020022105L - Copy.jpg
P attenuatus2020022901LResized - Copy.jpg
P attenuatus2020042705L - Copy.jpg

Ross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How bad are radiant wrasses to ship? Like, what are chances of success?

The one I’m looking at will have been through a full 30 day quarantine, eating frozen well. But I’m still very nervous to risk several hundred bucks.

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The one I’m looking at will have been through a full 30 day quarantine, eating frozen well. But I’m still very nervous to risk several hundred bucks.
I would ask the shipper to put a couple of inches of new sand in the shipping bag and make sure it's bagged well.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I got mine from Petco. I asked them to get one for me and she call whenever she got one in for me. I did not have a lot of problem with mine

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure. That does not look like a baby Diamond Tail Flasher. I had several and here are pictures of mine. The vertical bars is not right. Maybe a closer better pictures of your wrasse will help ID her. My juveniles Diamond Tail Flasher with a few progressive pictures. I really hope you got the correct wrasse.
Maybe your fish has stressed pattern, but I did not remember mine look like that on arrival.
P attenuatus2020021606S - Copy.jpg
P attenuatus2020021609SResized - Copy.jpg
P attenuatus2020021801B - Copy.jpg
P attenuatus2020022102S - Copy.jpg
P attenuatus2020022105L - Copy.jpg
P attenuatus2020022901LResized - Copy.jpg
P attenuatus2020042705L - Copy.jpg
She looked vey close to yours at store., Will try an get better pics

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If it’s healthy, acclimated and boxed proper it should ship fine if the shipper doesn’t mess up. Healthy wrasse that have been acclimated proper ship fine. Proper handling of wrasse they all ship fine

Ross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well guys I made a move today. Been on the “wait list” email on several sites for radiants and they popped up this morning on saltwaterfish.com.

I got 2 radiants and 2 leopards, free shipping plus I had an email for $50 off. So $307 bucks for all of them. Plus the radiants have an 8 day guarantee.

I have spent a bunch of time thinking about a quarantine plan. Here’s where I’m at

-I have a well establish 25g with sand and rock that has been fallow for several weeks, and currently full of pods. It was my old display before I upgraded, and I’ve just left it running. This should be perfect to get them acclimated to tank life and hopefully settled in.

-if I can get them settled and eating I will just observe for a week or two. Once they are settled I’ll run 2 or 3 courses of prazi pro through this tank.

Once we are through that I’ll pull them out to a proper quarantine and do either hybrid TTM with h2o2 dips, or copper +metro.

I would love to hear any thoughts or better ideas!

IMG_5863.png

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well guys I made a move today. Been on the “wait list” email on several sites for radiants and they popped up this morning on saltwaterfish.com.

I got 2 radiants and 2 leopards, free shipping plus I had an email for $50 off. So $307 bucks for all of them. Plus the radiants have an 8 day guarantee.

I have spent a bunch of time thinking about a quarantine plan. Here’s where I’m at

-I have a well establish 25g with sand and rock that has been fallow for several weeks, and currently full of pods. It was my old display before I upgraded, and I’ve just left it running. This should be perfect to get them acclimated to tank life and hopefully settled in.

-if I can get them settled and eating I will just observe for a week or two. Once they are settled I’ll run 2 or 3 courses of prazi pro through this tank.

Once we are through that I’ll pull them out to a proper quarantine and do either hybrid TTM with h2o2 dips, or copper +metro.

I would love to hear any thoughts or better ideas!

IMG_5863.png
Looks like two different leopards which is good. You won’t be able to keep both radiants together if they are both male. If they aren’t eventually they will be and they will not live long term or at all in a tank together

Ross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like two different leopards which is good. You won’t be able to keep both radiants together if they are both male. If they aren’t eventually they will be and they will not live long term or at all in a tank together
I bought 2 of each just hoping I can get one of each through quarantine. I may be building this up in my head to be way harder than it is…
But I’m expecting it to be tough

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 2 of each just hoping I can get one of each through quarantine. I may be building this up in my head to be way harder than it is…
But I’m expecting it to be tough
Qt doesn’t need to be hard or complicated. If using copper use copper power. I let the wrasse most of the time settle and eat for a few weeks before copper. That is a good time to treat any infections or for flukes as those meds are safer to use. I recommend watching around the 3 week mark when in copper. Of a wrasse has a problem it’s at 3 week or so.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 133 42.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back