TheGrimmReefer's rimless 120g Showcase Thread

Pappy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very beautiful setup! Thx so much for posting and looking forward to seeing more!

I've read your t5 info on line and fell over when I saw u (of all people the t5 god) running led! Jk lol it is awesome to see some of the experienced reefers happy and comfortable with LEDs (then again you DID go with the quality fixture!).

Side note....no braces on that tank and 2 mp40's has me concerned with that tank blowing! I didn't see internal braces either...maybe I missed them but if not watch those seals man!

OP
OP
TheGrimmReefer

TheGrimmReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very beautiful setup! Thx so much for posting and looking forward to seeing more!

I've read your t5 info on line and fell over when I saw u (of all people the t5 god) running led! Jk lol it is awesome to see some of the experienced reefers happy and comfortable with LEDs (then again you DID go with the quality fixture!).

Side note....no braces on that tank and 2 mp40's has me concerned with that tank blowing! I didn't see internal braces either...maybe I missed them but if not watch those seals man!

Pappy I think you may have me confused with someone else. I did run t5 on my precious tanks but by no means am I a god lol. I do absolutely love the radion pro fixtures though, they are top notch. As far as the tank bowing, I'm not overly concerned. The glass is 3/8" thick and I actually just bought another mp40 to put on the back. This tank has A LOT of flow, great for the sps which seem to thrive in this tank.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous tank!! I love the look of rimless tanks!! Thank you for sharing!!

sceia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey grim.... Very well did!! Nice to see some south la guys representing on r2r. I'm on the local boards as weel, but somehow missed your build. If you're ever around lafayette, give me a shout...we'll talk fish or somthing. I've got a little frag setup that I'm filling up (not as big as yours of course)... Congrats again, amazing how you got that thing stable in such a short time!!

Scott.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great job! Love the new tank!

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KUDOS! to a great job on your new tank reset, sweet selection of Fish and Coral. What are you running for a Controller ? And we'd like to see a pic of the new sump setup in action of course.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
TheGrimmReefer

TheGrimmReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the kind words everyone! Scecia I see you on the local boards as well, thanks for the comments. Todd I'll get some pics of the sump and plumbing today and update the thread.

As far as a controller, I'm not using one. I do use the Ecotech Reeflink, I was one of the first beta testers for the link and the iPhone app. I like it but almost never use it unless I want to show off a certain coral in the blue spectrum, in that event the Reeflink is pretty useful.

I use a bubble magus 3 stage dosing pump and a JBJ ATO.

Thanks again everyone!

This tank has been running a little over 5 months now and doing great. Unfortunately, I lost the Achilles about a month ago due to an ich outbreak I thought I could manage. Having kept tangs in the past that periodically broke out and got better, I figured I could do the same with the Achilles. This time however, the parasite got the better of me and ended up moving him to a treated QT. At this point, it was too late and he caught secondary infection once in the treated system. I blame myself for putting it off, hoping he would kick it. I've learned my lesson and removed the other fish from the system.

OP
OP
TheGrimmReefer

TheGrimmReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay here's the underneath. I am currently working on getting started on a skirt for the stand. Here's a few pics of the sump and dosing pumps and equipment.

I'm also building a custom ATO reservoir that'll run the length of the sump (42") x about 9". It'll fit under the stand and I can wrap the skirt around it.

Reef octopus 110 skimmer
JBJ ATO system
Bubble magus dosing pump
Laguna 14w UV sterilizer
Fluval s4 return pump
Chemipure carbon

Thanks for looking!

reefingnoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

His user name is grimreefer without 'the' in the "other" forum and he isn't from Louisiana our op is.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome, very well done. Great job with the move too, I'm well aware how much fun that can be.

Metal fabrication skills are something I lack, and wish I didn't. I always have to purchase my stands... steel > wood all day ;)

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful build! Going to be following this for sure.

OP
OP
TheGrimmReefer

TheGrimmReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks again for all the kind words! the skimmer is actually underrated for the tank but I find that a slightly underrated skimmer works much better than an oversized skimmer being held back. I get an excellent foam head from this skimmer and it works great for this tank. You all make me very proud of the tank, big thanks for all the love! Here are some gifs I made with recent pics, hope you all like. Tank has been running a little over 5 months now.Pink Lemonade

Acan garden

Left side

Right side

Got a FTS one too, but for some reason my photobucket is acting wetodded.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back