TheGrimmReefer's rimless 120g Showcase Thread

Stpatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Grimm. Great set up. I am also running 2 radions. Gen2's. Not the pros. Can you share your light schedule and %'s?

Thanks...

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be proud of this tank. You've set it up so nicely, and the corals are doing very well in a short space of time. Can I ask what is that Zeovit bottle sitting on the sump area? Can you please details what you feed the tank and what you feed the corals? Thanks.

The gifs look awesome! :D

OP
OP
TheGrimmReefer

TheGrimmReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank! I wish I could weld like you.

I have to ask is this the same Grimm from the other site?

Thanks CD, actually no lol. I realize we have the same handle, I didn't realize there was another until just a few days ago. I think his name is just "GrimReefer" .... I think.

OP
OP
TheGrimmReefer

TheGrimmReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Grimm. Great set up. I am also running 2 radions. Gen2's. Not the pros. Can you share your light schedule and %'s?

Thanks...

Thanks! I run the pros under the "high growth" template that I altered just a bit to give cooler white look. My overall percentage is 80%, which I know, is HIGH. BUT, the modules are 15" off the water line and the closest coral is 10" deep in the tank. My SPS grow like crazy and the LPS is all at the bottom of the tank closer to the sandbed and they seem to be doing great as well. The lights turn on at 11am and ramp up to full intensity by noon. They stay at the 80% intensity until 9pm and then ramp back down to 0 by 10pm.

Thanks for the compliments!

OP
OP
TheGrimmReefer

TheGrimmReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be proud of this tank. You've set it up so nicely, and the corals are doing very well in a short space of time. Can I ask what is that Zeovit bottle sitting on the sump area? Can you please details what you feed the tank and what you feed the corals? Thanks.

The gifs look awesome! :D

The zeovit bottle is KZ FlatwormStop and feed the tank twice a day with sustainable aquatics pellets and once a day with Julian Sprung purple seaweed. About once a week I will put a little Rods Original in the tank for the lps and fish to get some meaty food. That's about it!

Thanks for the kind words!

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks CD, actually no lol. I realize we have the same handle, I didn't realize there was another until just a few days ago. I think his name is just "GrimReefer" .... I think.

Cool! I saw LEDs and he is a T-5 guy if I remember correctly. However I have not followed his threads in a long time. You are going to confuse me though ;).

OP
OP
TheGrimmReefer

TheGrimmReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool! I saw LEDs and he is a T-5 guy if I remember correctly. However I have not followed his threads in a long time. You are going to confuse me though ;).

You're right there, I've read through his t5 threads over the last few days. I started with t5 and have always loved the output/growth/look of the t5 combinations but wanting to be more eco-efficient, produce less heat, have controllability, and that awesome shimmer effect, I chose to go with what is, IMHO, the best LED fixture on the market in the Radion Pros.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read through the whole thread. This build is very nice. Congratz!

I just upgraded recently to a 120 and really love the dimensions. Not to much to handle....just right.

I had a steel stand made for my tank as well, and kinda wish I had left out the center bar in the front like you did. But my hesitance was on how I would skin it later. Do you have plans on you will skin yours or are you just going to keep it open?

OP
OP
TheGrimmReefer

TheGrimmReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read through the whole thread. This build is very nice. Congratz!

I just upgraded recently to a 120 and really love the dimensions. Not to much to handle....just right.

I had a steel stand made for my tank as well, and kinda wish I had left out the center bar in the front like you did. But my hesitance was on how I would skin it later. Do you have plans on you will skin yours or are you just going to keep it open?

Thanks for the compliments Chris. I do plan on skirting the stand and thought about the same thing you mentioned above. However, I was able to figure a way around it. The entire front of the skirt will be one long piece, spanning the entire length/height of the stand (50"long x 40" tall). The piece will have recessed magnets in the four corners as well as one in the middle on the top and on the bottom.. So six magnets total. Each side of the skirt (3 total- front and two sides) will be a separate piece that not only magnetizes to the steel stand but also clips into the adjacent piece. Hope this helps explain my thinking!

Stpatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I run the pros under the "high growth" template that I altered just a bit to give cooler white look. My overall percentage is 80%, which I know, is HIGH. BUT, the modules are 15" off the water line and the closest coral is 10" deep in the tank. My SPS grow like crazy and the LPS is all at the bottom of the tank closer to the sandbed and they seem to be doing great as well. The lights turn on at 11am and ramp up to full intensity by noon. They stay at the 80% intensity until 9pm and then ramp back down to 0 by 10pm.

Thanks for the compliments!

Hi Grimm. Thanks for the schedule. Thats really amazing your able to run that high of % If I run mine over 35% I fry everything. I wonder if it is because I am running two on a 24x24x24 cube :) What color spectrum are you running? I have mine set to around the 16-18 k spectrum I think. I also run 4 24" t5s. ATI bulbs.

Thanks

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the compliments Chris. I do plan on skirting the stand and thought about the same thing you mentioned above. However, I was able to figure a way around it. The entire front of the skirt will be one long piece, spanning the entire length/height of the stand (50"long x 40" tall). The piece will have recessed magnets in the four corners as well as one in the middle on the top and on the bottom.. So six magnets total. Each side of the skirt (3 total- front and two sides) will be a separate piece that not only magnetizes to the steel stand but also clips into the adjacent piece. Hope this helps explain my thinking!

I totally get what you are planning. I am planning on using magnets as well. Just can't decide on what to use for the skin. I'm looking at using polycarbonate. Its like acrylic but won't bow.

OP
OP
TheGrimmReefer

TheGrimmReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally get what you are planning. I am planning on using magnets as well. Just can't decide on what to use for the skin. I'm looking at using polycarbonate. Its like acrylic but won't bow.

I should also mention that the front panel will have cabinet doors built in to the entire piece. So, I can easily access the sump though the cabinet doors in the front or totally remove the front panel to really have room to work.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks nice!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back