therman's 12 year old SPS system...top down shot, starting to enjoy this tank again

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And this one I have been sitting on for years, quite possibly my all time favorite Acropora these days, definitely in the top 3. Absolutely stunning long branched thick granulosa, deep indigo tips on older growth with deep blue on the new growth and a creamy fluorescent yellow base in high light. Only becomes more and more of a show stopper as it grows out. Really hard for me to believe that I've grown this coral myself after all the years of wishing for it :) It almost looks like an anemone it is so smooth and knobby. I call it the

Sublime Granulosa

IMG_9265.jpeg

Bigger now...with polyps out:
IMG_0372.JPG

And from the side for the anemone effect:
IMG_0375.JPG
That’s awesome!

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally get it Tim, mine is developing the yellow contrast, shifting from greenish. It's being baked by 10xt5, lol, and I purposefully try my best to ignore it when observing my corals.
I know how special it is, too much attention might jinx things, lol.
Well done with your collection, the colors are fantastic!!!

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I totally get it Tim, mine is developing the yellow contrast, shifting from greenish. It's being baked by 10xt5, lol, and I purposefully try my best to ignore it when observing my corals.
I know how special it is, too much attention might jinx things, lol.
Well done with your collection, the colors are fantastic!!!

Awesome :D Patience and stability seem to be the key with smoothies, and not looking directly at them hahaha

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome :D Patience and stability seem to be the key with smoothies, and not looking directly at them hahaha
Dont Look Laughing GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

I feel this way about my entire tank. Everything is done by remote as if my corals are a lost south american tribe that has never had contact with the outside world and observing them will cause them irrepairable harm.

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are some of the most beautiful in home reef pictures I’ve seen in 15 years. This is what we should all be striving for, the animals deserve it.

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same with this one, though I'm reluctant to post it as it grows soooo slowly and I don't like to cut it.

JF Fantasy Island

Definitely one of the nicer granulosa/loripes types out there with kind of a golden sheen overall maroon tips and bright fluorescent yellow polyps. Sometimes gets some blue in the new growth. Seems to be one of the longer branching types too.

Not the best photo but it will be a placeholder until I get a better one :)
IMG_8807.jpeg

This color scheme is fairly close to the TGC Bugatti, just never see anyone get this piece to this glory!!!
Pretty darn nice for a placeholder, lol :)

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Here's another one I have been sitting on for a long time. I had a frag that nearly died but recovered from seriously maybe 2-3 polyps and has grown out into a colony over a few years.

Bright fluorescent golden yellow with deep red tips, red polyps, and transitioning to a vivid fluorescent green in the deeper parts of the base. I think it has the potential for blue tips in conditions with higher nitrates, still experimenting with that.

TUSI's Rainbow granulosa
IMG_0860.jpeg

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's another one I have been sitting on for a long time. I had a frag that nearly died but recovered from seriously maybe 2-3 polyps and has grown out into a colony over a few years.

Bright fluorescent golden yellow with deep red tips, red polyps, and transitioning to a vivid fluorescent green in the deeper parts of the base. I think it has the potential for blue tips in conditions with higher nitrates, still experimenting with that.

TUSI's Rainbow granulosa
IMG_0860.jpeg

Very cool, I can see how this would capture upur attention. Given it's story, I would be scared to cut, such a "Rudy" story, I am thinking you get what I am saying, lol ;)

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very cool, I can see how this would capture upur attention. Given it's story, I would be scared to cut, such a "Rudy" story, I am thinking you get what I am saying, lol ;)
Now that sounds interesting.

Darn, Tim I just picked up this Rainbow wish I knew you had it.

Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TUSI's Rainbow granulosa
IMG_0860.jpeg
Amazing.. Thanks for sharing!

alpacaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just read through all 41 pages, so many things to add to my wish list but I think the jawdropper takes the cake!

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
What’s your favorite N : P ratio? :)
It really depends on the coral and the desired outcome. It seems like some Acropora grow a lot faster under higher phosphates and lower nitrates (perhaps with ammonia as the nitrogen source), and are more resilient. However they can have a substantially different coloration under this scenario than one with higher nitrates. Other corals seem more resilient in my system with higher nitrates and grow better. It really depends on which Acropora it is. I have thought about starting a youtube channel with detailed info about almost every Acropora in my collection to consolidate all this info, but who knows when I will get around to that haha

Lowsingle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on the coral and the desired outcome. It seems like some Acropora grow a lot faster under higher phosphates and lower nitrates (perhaps with ammonia as the nitrogen source), and are more resilient. However they can have a substantially different coloration under this scenario than one with higher nitrates. Other corals seem more resilient in my system with higher nitrates and grow better. It really depends on which Acropora it is. I have thought about starting a youtube channel with detailed info about almost every Acropora in my collection to consolidate all this info, but who knows when I will get around to that haha

I would definitely tune in to watch that….especially if you talk about each individual species and your experience as you have most of the most desirable acros in the hobby

Darren

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would definitely tune in to watch that….especially if you talk about each individual species and your experience as you have most of the most desirable acros in the hobby

Darren
Agreed you would have a good following I think.

SpSDrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

Do it! I loved listening to the reef bum pod cast explaining your systems.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back