Things Growing on Acanthophyllia skeleton - could it be a sponge?

FishyHotel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I got a deal on an acanthophyllia and it was looking pretty happy, but after putting it in my main tank it started getting nipped and it turns out there was some damage I hadn’t seen when it was inflated. I have tried to scrape the algae off the skeleton that is exposed on the top when it’s retracted, but I’ve noticed some growths from the side of the skeleton that I would love to know what to do with (hopefully it’s not worry about it). I am posting pictures, any help would be appreciated!

IMG_9478.jpeg
IMG_9442.jpeg
IMG_9483.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pinkish things in this pic are benthic foraminiferans - harmless filter feeders (great pic of those by the way, you can see a bit of the texture on them when you zoom in on the pic).

The red bit in the bottom right looks like either cyano or sponge, neither would concern me at this point.

The other pic is pretty blue, but it looks like it might show a pineapple sponge and some spirorbid worms - both are harmless filter feeders.

Personally, I don't see anything concerning.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Indeed foraminiferans and often confused with sponge. Nice close-ups you took of them. This substance is made up of spheres and best removal (while some people keep them and are harmless ) is to take rock out of the tank and place in container of water. You can try to press it down with thumb pressure and peel it back and remove otherwise scrub with firm brushes like below from Harbor freight.

detail brush.png

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 89 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 14 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back