Time to build a 120g

Mrfresh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which salt brand do u use?
Red Sea pro has kh around 12 and with small water changes it won't take it to 12 but will help keep it up
If u plan on doing sps invest in either dosing pumps or reactor.

Good luck

OP
OP
Zero Nitrates

Zero Nitrates

I love chalices
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Coralife salt. Red Sea pro sounds like a good way to help me. Thank you.
I have also been thinking about a dosing pump.
photo.jpg

Our new hawkfish. "Hawk"

OP
OP
Zero Nitrates

Zero Nitrates

I love chalices
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
photo.jpg

Maroon Clown pair. Got really lucky with them. I bought them at different times. It's nice that they decided to get along.

OP
OP
Zero Nitrates

Zero Nitrates

I love chalices
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been thinking about adding a refugium to my sump. My skimmer will not fit in the first chamber, so if I add a refuge it has to be in the first chamber where the socks are located. So the sump will be first chamber- socks and refuge, second chamber- skimmer, third chamber- return pump and auto topoff. Has anyone used a set up like this?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think it will make much of a difference. I say go for it!

OP
OP
Zero Nitrates

Zero Nitrates

I love chalices
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still trying to get my dkh under control. I am planning on trying new salt mix but, I still have to use up what I have stocked up. So I followed a link from a thread here to Chemistry And The Aquarium: Solving Calcium And Alkalinity Problems ? Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog. This article was great in helping me understand better alkalinity. I also tried one of the solutions suggested in the article, baking soda. I have successfully raised my alkalinity slowly to 8dkh. Problem is that it drops 1dkh everyday even with me dosing reef fusion 1 and 2 everyday. Any thoughts?

clownfishbreeder101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still trying to get my dkh under control. I am planning on trying new salt mix but, I still have to use up what I have stocked up. So I followed a link from a thread here to Chemistry And The Aquarium: Solving Calcium And Alkalinity Problems ? Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog. This article was great in helping me understand better alkalinity. I also tried one of the solutions suggested in the article, baking soda. I have successfully raised my alkalinity slowly to 8dkh. Problem is that it drops 1dkh everyday even with me dosing reef fusion 1 and 2 everyday. Any thoughts?
what is your maintanance plan every day ? thank you and i love your tank and stand

OP
OP
Zero Nitrates

Zero Nitrates

I love chalices
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every day I dose 7.5 ml of reef fusion one and two. Clean the glass on the tank and feed the fish.

Twice a week I dose 1 tbsp of magnesium and 2.5 ml of iodide. Change socks and clean protein skimmer.

Once a week I do a 15 gallon water change, replace water in auto top off container, clean powerbeads and overflow.

Once a month I siphon sand bed and test all of the parameters.

OP
OP
Zero Nitrates

Zero Nitrates

I love chalices
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
photo.jpg

Tank shot and monthly parameters.
temp-79.3
salinity-35
pH-8.2
Ca-400
Mg-1150
kh-7
Nitrates- 1

I have decided against the refuge for now. Not sure I need it. I guess the thought of building it really intrigued me.
I have switched to Randy's two part from Seachem. I was not able to use the Reef Fusion to get my alkalinity up. I couldn't get it above 6. The Randy's two part is working well. I have to dose 6oz a day which brings my alkalinity up from 7 to 9. I need to invest in a dosing pump soon for more consistency.
I added a orange spot sand sifting goby last week. He is always working the sand and I have noticed the skimmer is producing twice as much. It is either him sifting the sand causing more in the skimmer or he poops a lot. I love watching my frags get bigger!

OP
OP
Zero Nitrates

Zero Nitrates

I love chalices
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen him do this. It was very cool to watch. I had just put some Rod's in the tank and BOOM he did this.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always thought that a controllable return pump with a pulse like you said would be more efficient than having powerbeads. Would be much more simple to have a programable return pump and ditch the powerbeads. Would look better too!
I have the Tunze controllable return and multicontroller 7096 for sale.

OP
OP
Zero Nitrates

Zero Nitrates

I love chalices
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0214.jpg

My Speedwave DC pump went out. I cleaned it and still nothing. Kinda disappointed, it's only 6 months old.
So while my sump is out of action until my new pump comes in, might as well clean the skimmer and sump. It's nasty!
IMG_0215.jpg

Before pic.
IMG_0216.jpg

Got an airstone and pump to keep O2 in the tank while the pump is out of action.
IMG_0217.jpg

Filthy!
IMG_0218.jpg

Disgusting!

OP
OP
Zero Nitrates

Zero Nitrates

I love chalices
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0219.jpg

Filthy!

IMG_0220.jpg

Marked the water level so I remember where to fill it back up too.

IMG_0221.jpg

Airstone.

IMG_0222.jpg

Skimmer is brown.

IMG_0223.jpg

Got the shop vac out and boom water is gone.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 126 75.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back