Tiny funny reef on budget

EzraZamir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice!!! Is a skimmer even needed on such a small tank? I tried one on my 10 gallon and weekly water changes were fine without it. The skimmer didn't pull much out either. The smallest nano I had was 2.5 and it was an absolute NIGHTMARE to keep the params steady and I gave it up. Maybe the glass top will help with the evaporation? I never thought to do that...

OP
OP
sikorskys

sikorskys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice!!! Is a skimmer even needed on such a small tank? I tried one on my 10 gallon and weekly water changes were fine without it. The skimmer didn't pull much out either. The smallest nano I had was 2.5 and it was an absolute NIGHTMARE to keep the params steady and I gave it up. Maybe the glass top will help with the evaporation? I never thought to do that...

Thank you very much.

It's definitely possible to do it without skimmer, but I don't want to. I'm building this pico for my office desktop, so I'd like to cut down water changes/top off's to a minimum. I hope, skimmer and cover glass will help with that.

EzraZamir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much.

It's definitely possible to do it without skimmer, but I don't want to. I'm building this pico for my office desktop, so I'd like to cut down water changes/top off's to a minimum. I hope, skimmer and cover glass will help with that.

This has inspired me to try again! What's next, lighting?

OP
OP
sikorskys

sikorskys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now, there is my rockwork in place:

The purpose of this DIY rock is to make the most of the volume, but not to be sharp-looking itself. There is not much volume in 3g to make something more exciting. One day I'm going to make this tank SPS-dominated, so I need the proper scape to hold all those horned frags in right directions.

Sure, those flat surfaces and sharp edges look too artificial. But I'm ok with that, because all of the rock is going to be covered with frags. In the end, I'd like to get something like a mountain overgrown with trees.

The rock is made of some "superwhite" cement (not sure about the brand, sorry) and cheap aragonite sand. That's it, no coarse salt, oyster shell or any other additives were used. I was going to make the rock surface intentionally flat, so no coarse salt was needed.

Then, it has been soaked in tap water for 3-4 weeks. Now I'm going to soak it in saltwater for few weeks more. Don't know if this is really needed, but that's definitely won't hurt :)

That's it for the rockscape. Next post will be about the lighting, stay tuned :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking great!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back