OP
subodhs

subodhs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ordered a white tail from @WWC and they sent me this funny specimen. Every time I come by, he acts like he's dead.
20230513_202730 (1).jpg

Like seriously?

OP
OP
subodhs

subodhs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230529_150340.jpg

I have no idea why the Whitetail is so skittish. I do have video cams on both sides so I know he's been messing around when I'm not around. Stupid Fish :D

OP
OP
subodhs

subodhs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did an ICP test and turns out I'm really low on Iron, Iodine and potassium along with a bunch of other elements. Since there is no more space left on the right side, I had to drill two more holes on the weight bearing central support. Hope its not too bad of a decision. Here's what the Red Sea doser install for ABCD colors looks like.

20230529_174107.jpg

I also moved the live rock to the back side. I'm thinking of using the front side of this sump for some Macro algae/beginning of a refugium.

OP
OP
subodhs

subodhs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seams good. Seams to me it'll hold water. Seams pretty straight forward to put together.

Plans on coral and fish besides a tang?

Hope the seams stay together
I sure hope so too, especially given all the drilling I've been doing on the supports!

I have a bunch of 1" frags right now from @WWC , will give it a month or two to stabilize before trying to add more. Or maybe I just need another sale to happen :)

Currently, I just have the two tangs, a convict and a white tail bristle tooth, 2 ORA premium osc clowns and 6 chromise. At some point I'll get some more, including some anthias, gobies and a yellow tang. Kind of trying to go back to what I had before but looks like things have changed quite a bit. I used to get yellow tangs for $15 and return them when they got too big for free. And I've been waiting for a yellow tang with $250 deposit paid for almost 4 months now!

OP
OP
subodhs

subodhs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a really bright idea! Looking good!
Bright indeed, For $37 I get more than a 6 foot LED light strip, its blindingly bright (IKEA MYRVARVLED light strip, flexible, dimmable, 6 ' 7 ")
and just $15 for the LED driver (ANSLUTALED driver with cord, white, 19 W), I think it makes a great under cabinet lighting.
And thank you!

OP
OP
subodhs

subodhs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming up on almost 4 months, it looks like my tank has probably skipped the ugly stage.
20230721_181437.jpg

In other great news, @Top_Lids delivered an exceptional great cover, so I'm heading down to my LFS to fish for some jumpers :)

20230721_185603.jpg

The cover feels exceptional, is sturdy and neatly fits the cutouts for the two automatic feeders (Neptune and Plank).

Thank you @Top_Lids I love the quality workmanship!
20230721_185609.jpg

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming up on almost 4 months, it looks like my tank has probably skipped the ugly stage.
20230721_181437.jpg

In other great news, @Top_Lids delivered an exceptional great cover, so I'm heading down to my LFS to fish for some jumpers :)

20230721_185603.jpg

The cover feels exceptional, is sturdy and neatly fits the cutouts for the two automatic feeders (Neptune and Plank).

20230721_185609.jpg
Beautiful

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230721_181437.jpg

20230721_185603.jpg

20230721_185609.jpg
Those lids look great on your tank!

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That lid is legit! I made the one for my 350 g2 with a couple feed doors but it doesnt look as good. If you dont mind me asking what did they hit you up for on price?

OP
OP
subodhs

subodhs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That lid is legit! I made the one for my 350 g2 with a couple feed doors but it doesn't look as good. If you dont mind me asking what did they hit you up for on price?
It is a sweet thing for sure. It is one of the pricey ones but the pitch I gave my wife was $99 per foot, and that includes cutouts for each of the LED lights (I have 5 of them), the auto feeders, manual feeders and anything else we may need. Seems to have worked ;)

Getting at frustration free lid that won't look flimsy, won't cut down on light and yet stay straight enough if need to take off during cleaning and maintenance isn't easy on a 7 foot tank. imho but Tyler over at @Top_Lids surely made it look easy.

Top_Lids

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230721_181437.jpg

20230721_185603.jpg

20230721_185609.jpg
Appreciate the shoutout brother this project was a lot of fun!

I'm glad that FedEx got to you within a couple days and everything is working so well for you. That black mesh looks slick...

To Your Success,
- Tyler Moon
Owner @ Top Lids

OP
OP
subodhs

subodhs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like I dropped the ball on updating here. The good news is that I still plan on keeping the tank, not calling it quits yet. The bad news is, "Argh!"

So, around three months ago, I noticed the tank showing signs of vermetid snails.

20231118_163719.jpg

There were just a couple near one of the corals I snagged from a specialty store. I figured I'd deal with it over the weekend, but I also noticed a few Aiptasia on the sand. I knew I needed to deal with Aiptasia ASAP, so I used F-Aiptasia and let it be. A week later, there were quite a few friends of the former comrade, and I added an Aiptasia-eating file fish along with some peppermint snails.

In about a week or two, there were no indications of Aiptasia in the display tank, but a few had gotten hold in the sump, and while I was dealing with them, I forgot about the Vermetid problem. Then I noticed this:

20240113_105335.jpg

Those pesky little vermetids! They are everywhere! My tank is run over by them. I have so much coraline algae growing everywhere that my tank completely skipped the nuisance algae stage. I didn't get the uglies and thought it should be easy at the 9-month mark, but then this happened. All the snails have it growing off of their backs, too. And it's very dense. I think to myself, "This will need a tank reset."

I do not think this can be done all at once. I don't have the time or patience to undertake such an adventure. I also risk shocking the entire system with such a large change. I will most likely lose all the progress made so far. But I also think I made a mistake somewhere. Either in the food or the additives.

Here's what the tank looked like just before the change.

20240127_120202.jpg

And, here's a close-up of the problem:

20240123_164616.jpg

I think it's vermetids—except I've never seen a web. Most corals have encrusted themselves well over the vermetids, so it's going to be a pain.
I started dosing KZ Coral Snow after feeding, just before the night. Doesn't seem to have helped. I stopped using KZ Coral vitalizer (just as a precaution) and the Reef Jerky auto feeder. Still feeding 2 cubes in the morning and 2 cubes in the evening from the Multi reef pack; this is the bare minimum I need to keep PO4 and NO3 levels at 5 and .03
Keeping Alk ~8.4, Ca ~425, Mg ~1430

In Dec last year, my LFS recommended bumble bee snails. I added some 30 of them. They definitely seem to have devoured all the sand-dwelling creatures, including the conches, Florida snails, and Nassarius snails. But no ding on the vermetids.

Here's another look at one of the rocks I pulled out of the aquarium:

20240128_134145.jpg

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thise are all vermitids? Jesus never seen anything like that? You feed reef roids 5 times a day or something? Thats crazy. Didnt know they could get to that level. Ive got a few in mine. Gonna get to work on them quickly.

OP
OP
subodhs

subodhs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thise are all vermitids? Jesus never seen anything like that? You feed reef roids 5 times a day or something? Thats crazy. Didnt know they could get to that level. Ive got a few in mine. Gonna get to work on them quickly.
While I can't be sure, I don't know if these could be anything else. Never added Reef roids. @AVAST Marine reef jerky may contain it. The Plank auto feeder was set to feed twice daily for about 30 seconds. I liked the fact that all fish loved whatever was in it. I've since stopped that and any kind of broadcast feed like PE Mysis or PE Calanis. I wish I could really get a handle on what caused this.

In any case, this grew out of hand really quickly.

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I can't be sure, I don't know if these could be anything else. Never added Reef roids. @AVAST Marine reef jerky may contain it. The Plank auto feeder was set to feed twice daily for about 30 seconds. I liked the fact that all fish loved whatever was in it. I've since stopped that and any kind of broadcast feed like PE Mysis or PE Calanis. I wish I could really get a handle on what caused this.

In any case, this grew out of hand really quickly.
read the ingredients what youve stopped is definitely in it.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 31 34.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 51 56.0%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 3.3%

Back