Torch Coral retracting

officialreefbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently my pride and joy torch has been retracting. I am not sure why because all my parameters are in line. Tank is nearing the 1 year mark.
alk 9.0, phos 0.03, salinity 1.026, calcium 450, mg 1350
I haven’t altered flow or light I have two AI primes over my 40 G breeder. If you have any ideas please share thank you!

OP
OP
officialreefbros

officialreefbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had it for about 6 months
if you have a picture of what it looked like before that might help. I don't think it looks too bad as long as you don't see the skeleton. My torches will sometimes just recede and get small. Usually its when the lights are off, but I have seen it happen every now and then.

OP
OP
officialreefbros

officialreefbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@afrokobe If you look at 4:25 on this video you can see what it used to look like before. I am not sure if it is getting too much flow and I should move it? I know torches hate to be moved so that is why I am hesitant.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It doesnt seem stressed or recessed but keep a few things in mind to keep torch happy. . . . .
If you have leather corals, this may be part of the issue. Many leather coral species produce and release toxic chemicals, called terpenes, into the water to protect themselves and to stunt the growth of other species. One of the biggest problems I have seen beginner hobbyists have is failing to account for the calcium demand for these corals. If there is insufficient calcium in your aquarium water, these corals will not be able to make their coral skeleton. You should also never lift a torch coral out of the water if you can avoid it. You could tear the polyps, and torn polyps are prone to infection followed by necrosis
Torch require typical parameters including:
Temperature 77-78 degrees
Specific gravity of about 1.025
Ph 8.1=8.3
Calcium 400-440 ppm.

Like most large polyp stony corals, a torch coral benefits from moderate water flow. The polyps will remain retracted and under-inflated if the water current is too fast because the large flowing polyps are prone to rip and tear in high or ultra-high current environments.
The torch coral is a photosynthetic coral, meaning it has a relationship with symbiotic zooxanthellae (single-cell photosynthetic organisms) that live inside its tissues that converts the light energy into sugar. In exchange for a home inside the coral, the zooxanthellae split their harvest and feed the coral. Therefore, it is possible to keep the Torch coral without any feeding at all. However, all corals are animals, and animals are meant to eat.
The best placement for a torch coral is in a location that gets moderate water flow and moderate-intensity lighting

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@afrokobe If you look at 4:25 on this video you can see what it used to look like before. I am not sure if it is getting too much flow and I should move it? I know torches hate to be moved so that is why I am hesitant.

it honestly looks fine compared to before. I would give it a day. Flow looks good, you could go higher if you want. I blast mine and they seem to love it. Very long polyp extension

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 138 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 111 34.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back