Trident FAQ (official)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize that in order for the Trident to run "properly" it needs to do 4 Alk, 2 Cal, and 2 Mag, tests a da
That is why I said they should have went back to the drawing board.

Nah. I am thrilled to have the instrument, and was thrilled when I got it, it has made a huge difference. If another version is developed, that will also be great. I certainly am happy I didn't have to wait for it and that it is available as is.

Did anyone test their Alk 4 times a day; Cal 2 times a day, and Mag 2 times a day - before getting the Trident? :)
That's kinda the point though, this is doing something people don't do on their own. I had a prototype for a year or two and it only did Alk (I was running it 4 or 6 times a day), and that made a big difference. Having the Trident control the CaRx is fabulous and 4 times a day seems perfect for stability. Less would be less stable. I don't care so much about the Ca and Mg because those parameters are not volatile, but it is nice to have those numbers. The cost of reagents is small and well worth it.

I think what happens with tech like this is that everyone thinks they need it. They don't. Personally, I would hate to run a SPS tank without one. :D

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those of you who runs the minimum daily test only. How big is your waste container and how often it gets full?

U

User1

View Badges
Those of you who runs the minimum daily test only. How big is your waste container and how often it gets full?

I run the lowest tests @ 4/2/2 and use a 375 ml Voss Glass Water bottle. It lasts about a week I guess? Maybe more - but I empty it at least once a week before I forget and need the reminder to warn me. I one one laying around that I was using to dose something. It has a 1/4 or 1/8" John Guest valve on it for the tubing. I just put the waste line in there and let it go. Works well for me.

Not really sure I guess because I've never run into it being full...

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I use a 2 liter container, an old 2-part bottle. Empty it monthly when I change regent A (or all).

"The exact amount of waste varies depending on your parameter levels and the amount of reagent the Trident uses. On average a 1L waste container would only need to be emptied every 2 weeks or so"

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can Trident be placed higher than the sump as long as the lines are not extended or cut?

I am planning to add a shelf with a bracket inside my tank cabinet and place Trident on shelf. It is a bit higher than the sump.

U

User1

View Badges
Can Trident be placed higher than the sump as long as the lines are not extended or cut?

I am planning to add a shelf with a bracket inside my tank cabinet and place Trident on shelf. It is a bit higher than the sump.

Hmm, you know I do not have a 100% answer other than to say that I believe it can be, yes. Darn good question though so I went to the docs to check. All I found via the FAQ and setup page...

1595465079940.png

or

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I wonder if @Terence from Neptune can answer this question

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its all very well documented if you look on their site, see #4. The trident should be higher than the sump to prevent any potential siphon.

Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 9.29.26 PM.png
It is not that well documented. It does not clearly say how high one can place Trident above sump. I guess as long as the sample line is not higher than Trident and the lines are not extended or cut?

U

User1

View Badges
is it worth it to buy a trident for 25g tank?

Worth is up to the hobbyist. I would not though, no. Why? Probably because I could easily control the levels by a daily does of tropic marin all for reef. However, if the demand is such anything is possible.

I'm strictly looking at it from a overall use space for the corals.

Jamezanity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Worth is up to the hobbyist. I would not though, no. Why? Probably because I could easily control the levels by a daily does of tropic marin all for reef. However, if the demand is such anything is possible.

I'm strictly looking at it from a overall use space for the corals.
Thanks for the response. I was thinking same thing but i was wondering hows the DOS and Trident works ? because im planning to do dosing on my frag tank.

U

User1

View Badges
Thanks for the response. I was thinking same thing but i was wondering hows the DOS and Trident works ? because im planning to do dosing on my frag tank.

Dosing and frag tanks do change things a bit. I guess it would depend then on total water volume or if connected together, etc. I can't really explain it other than to say it works pretty well and it has a built in fail safe which makes it so popular. You already have your dosing parameter set up or limits if you will. The task for trident control allows a min and max. If something happens and it goes over then it falls back. Something like that. Below is a link that may help explain it more or how it is set up.

In my head I have a value and the trident lets it float a bit to try and make it more stable. It will not go above the limit no matter what so I don't worry about it. Anyway sorry for not being exact :) Docs may be a better place. Hope all is well.

Jamezanity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Dosing and frag tanks do change things a bit. I guess it would depend then on total water volume or if connected together, etc. I can't really explain it other than to say it works pretty well and it has a built in fail safe which makes it so popular. You already have your dosing parameter set up or limits if you will. The task for trident control allows a min and max. If something happens and it goes over then it falls back. Something like that. Below is a link that may help explain it more or how it is set up.

In my head I have a value and the trident lets it float a bit to try and make it more stable. It will not go above the limit no matter what so I don't worry about it. Anyway sorry for not being exact :) Docs may be a better place. Hope all is well.

Thank you. I think i will try the trident it will make more easy to me to do the tests rather than doing it manually. lol

haitian_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I think i will try the trident it will make more easy to me to do the tests rather than doing it manually. lol
You'll love it! I've had mine for about 8 months now. One thing to know is that reagents were scarce when states were shutdown. For some time it was pretty difficult to get reagents. You'll notice even after states are open again 6 months supply is not available for purchase.

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happens when you ignore the Reagent B empty alarm? The alarm has been on for a few days, but I still had over 25% of Reagent A left, so I was going to let it keep testing Alk, but I can't figure out what the alk testing schedule will be. Here is what has happened to me under the 4/2/2 automatic combined testing schedule.

8/25 - 00:00 all 3 tests
8/25 - 12:00 - Reagent B alarm - no more Ca or Mg tests - alk test still done
8/25 - 6:00 - alk test
8/25 - 12:00 alk test
8/25 - 18:00 - alk test
8:26 - 00:00 - alk test
8/26 - 6:00 - alk test
8/26 - 12:00 alk test
8/26 - 18:00 - No alk test
8/27 - 00:00 - alk test
8/27 - 6:00 - No alk test - Reagent B alarm turned itself off

Last edited:

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happens when you ignore the Reagent B empty alarm? The alarm has been on for a few days, but I still had over 25% of Reagent A left, so I was going to let it keep testing Alk, but I can't figure out what the alk testing schedule will be.
It will still keep testing Alk (w/ reagent A) on the same 4x/day schedule.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 29 33.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 18.4%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back