Trident FAQ (official)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing is mandatory, but they recommend a max of 0.4 for the best results.

Even though you recently calibrated the DOS, I still recommend running the calibration simply to rule out the possibility that a line has come loose or a head is faulty and the DOS is inaccurate as a result. Otherwise, we are just guessing at what the problem may be. I'm retired after 30 years of IT work, and I learned the hard way that overlooking the simple things can lead you down incorrect paths when troubleshooting. Rule things out one by one to arrive at a logical solution.
@SuncrestReef so I used Hanna to test the Alk last night and interestingly I got 8.9dkh at 10 pm. Last Trident test at 9pm showed 8.66 dkh. Now I suspect the Trident that gives odd result. Is this kind of test discrepancy between Hanna and Trident within the normal tolerance?

U

User1

View Badges
@SuncrestReef so I used Hanna to test the Alk last night and interestingly I got 8.9dkh at 10 pm. Last Trident test at 9pm showed 8.66 dkh. Now I suspect the Trident that gives odd result. Is this kind of test discrepancy between Hanna and Trident within the normal tolerance?

You are chasing numbers. You can get accuracy from Neptune on the Trident FAQ page. Hanna same.

Trident:
  1. Alkalinity: +/- 0.05 dKH
  2. Calcium: +/- 15 ppm
  3. Magnesium: +/- 15 ppm

Hanna Alk:
  1. Specification Name Detail
  2. Accuracy @ 25°C/77°F ±0.3 dKH ±5% of reading

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are chasing numbers. You can get accuracy from Neptune on the Trident FAQ page. Hanna same.

Trident:
  1. Alkalinity: +/- 0.05 dKH
  2. Calcium: +/- 15 ppm
  3. Magnesium: +/- 15 ppm

Hanna Alk:
  1. Specification Name Detail
  2. Accuracy @ 25°C/77°F ±0.3 dKH ±5% of reading
I am not. It is related to my posts started on post #1089.

U

User1

View Badges
I am not. It is related to my posts started on post #1089.

Ok - post 1,101 you are comparing results between two different kits at two different times.

I understand the original post. I am just pointing out the numbers are close enough and will never be an exact match.

Last edited by a moderator:

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok - post 1,101 you are comparing results between two different kits at two different times.

I understand the original post. I am just pointing out the numbers are close enough and will never be an exact match.
No I know but it because related to post #1089 and the declining Alk test results. Suncrestreef suggested to check DOS but then I found out that the Hanna and Trident is about 0.3 dkh different. So if the Hanna is right then technically Trident’s 9 dkh goal that I set for is actually 9.3 dkh and the current level at 8.66 is actually 8.9 dkh as per Hanna and I have nothing to worry about.
Whether Trident is right or Hanna is right, the trend is still going down.

This is actually my very first time testing Alk using Hanna against my Trident. Only because the down trending. Otherwise, I only use Trident test result. So I am not chasing the number. Only due to this down trending anomaly that never happened before and I didn’t add new coral.

I am going to calibrate the DOS as he suggested to see if there is an issue.

U

User1

View Badges
No I know but it because related to post #1089 and the declining Alk test results. Suncrestreef suggested to check DOS but then I found out that the Hanna and Trident is about 0.3 dkh different. So if the Hanna is right then technically Trident’s 9 dkh goal that I set for is actually 9.3 dkh and the current level at 8.66 is actually 8.9 dkh as per Hanna and I have nothing to worry about.
Whether Trident is right or Hanna is right, the trend is still going down.

This is actually my very first time testing Alk using Hanna against my Trident. Only because the down trending. Otherwise, I only use Trident test result. So I am not chasing the number. Only due to this down trending anomaly that never happened before and I didn’t add new coral.

I am going to calibrate the DOS as he suggested to see if there is an issue.

Right. I understand. I'm just keying in on:

"So if the Hanna is right"

Both have a level of accuracy as I posted above from the vendor's FAQ or documents. I'm just suggesting not going down the rabbit hole of which one is right or closer. I believe the only way to do this is to use a new bottle of Neptunes Calibration fluid, open it, fill the vile for Hanna, and the rest let the Trident calibrate. Once done you can note Hanna's results to the fluid and when the Trident is done compare it. Even then I'd wager there will be a difference.

I believe @SuncrestReef was suggesting or recommending a recalibration of the DOS. Prime the lines, use the calibration DOS task, and confirm it is adding the proper amount. Sounds like you are doing that which is good. I completely understand, and agree, that you want to get it right. First part is to obviously understand the daily consumption and you have the trident to give you the readings.

Hang in there - you are doing great.

Jrainey312

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed a trodent on my tank yesterday. I jave placed it on a cabinet next to my tank about 2.5ft higher than my sump. Im just wondering if its to high or is that okay thanks

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed a trodent on my tank yesterday. I jave placed it on a cabinet next to my tank about 2.5ft higher than my sump. Im just wondering if its to high or is that okay thanks
Yes it will be OK that’s about where I have mine

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this Alk fluctuations normal?
4A35C194-7EBE-490A-990D-65E91881C556.png
799290AD-4CD5-4300-8E94-D6974A40E964.png

Jrainey312

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should i wait to calibrate before using the trident readings instead of my hanna and salifert readings. Alk on hanna is 8.0 on trident its 8.6 and cal is higher and mag is lower. Thanks in advance

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should i wait to calibrate before using the trident readings instead of my hanna and salifert readings. Alk on hanna is 8.0 on trident its 8.6 and cal is higher and mag is lower. Thanks in advance

I would calibrate after 3 consecutive days of testing

Try'nNotToKillStuff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, I apologize if Neptune has already answered this question. There are 56 pages. On KH, Salifert and Trident are very far apart. I am not a noob for doing the Salifert tests. I am doing the tests at the same time that the Trident performs the tests. In one, Salifert was reading KH at 10, whereas Trident reported 11.71. In the next test, done more than 24 hours later, Salifert test showed 9.2 whereas Trident reported 11.56. The CA report was roughly equal. But Mg was 1200 with Salifert and 1306 on Trident. On the next test, Salfert showed 1290 and Trident 1354. I am not too worried about the Mg reports, but the KH seems farther off than it should be. I calibrated the Trident a week ago. Thoughts?

Mkeller088

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are thinking of the clear waste line. Not the black sample line- it cannot be cut or extended. The FAQ touches on this:
upload_2019-5-7_22-5-35.png
Is it a good sealed fit, or should glue or nylon tie be used? My intention will be to tee the waste line into my auto water change DOS. WASTE LINE. The water out side of course.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a good sealed fit, or should glue or nylon tie be used? My intention will be to tee the waste line into my auto water change DOS. WASTE LINE. The water out side of course.
Don’t do it. It’s gunna cause back pressure. And possibly blow line off inside trident. Dos is very strong

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really no need, the amount waste water is pretty nominal assuming you have a reasonable amount of space for a waste container.

Here’s a 5 gallon jug after a year

Attachments

• 9926E2C5-FF4B-4114-B874-92F713A393EB.jpeg
    9926E2C5-FF4B-4114-B874-92F713A393EB.jpeg
    154.5 KB · Views: 64

john90009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, it’s prob been a long time since you guys set your apexes and tridents up but how long do you think it took you
To install everything?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back