Trident - flimsy, cheaply made...?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Amado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m perfectly happy with all my controller parts being hardwired together. ZERO chance of loosing connection that way.
wifi can be spotty.

Wi-Fi 5 year ago was spotty. Wi-Fi now is very strong wi-if 6 is very strong. If you are going to use cables at least use water proof cables. USB C ( water proof cable) would be a better choice.
Instead of buy a proprietary cable that you have to only buy from apex (aquabus) or have it specially made.

Last edited:

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wi-Fi 5 year ago was spotty. Wi-Fi now is very strong wi-if 6 is very strong. If you are going to use cables at least use water proof cables. USB C ( water proof cable) would be a better choice.
Instead of buy a proprietary cable that you have to only buy from apex (aquabus) or have it specially made.

It’s a standard non-repeating usb cable.
It’s not hard to get and you can get them
Anywhere online for a few dollars....

Amado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a standard non-repeating usb cable.
It’s not hard to get and you can get them
Anywhere online for a few dollars....
Wouldn’t you agree that using usb- c would have been better.
I can pick up a usb c cable anywhere and it’s water proof.
Doesn’t it make sense to use a water proof cable around
A saltwater aquarium. Lol
Trident connects with a 1 link port and that’s a cable you can only get at Neptune.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn’t you agree that using usb- c would have been better.
I can pick up a usb c cable anywhere and it’s water proof.
Doesn’t it make sense to use a water proof cable around
A saltwater aquarium. Lol
Maybe it would have better, but then that would make every module and part that people had bought on previous Apex systems no longer functional.
So for the sake of keeping it accessible to the most people they chose they more basic standard option.

Amado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it would have better, but then that would make every module and part that people had bought on previous Apex systems no longer functional.
So for the sake of keeping it accessible to the most people they chose they more basic standard option.

Not true have you seen the new kessil light.
It has the original audio connector for legacy products.
It has a usb c for new products and it has wi-fi
So you can choose what connection fits your needs.
The new light is not apex compatible same thing
With ecotech their light not compatible with Neptune.
Why ? Because they feel they can do better.

Olefreebe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Th at is very strange I guess I can understand your frustration. I work for Ford as a repair tech and will tell you I work on 1-2 cars a week that have under 100 miles on them. They are all machines and they fail. Also they fail when new. Stuff happens you happen to be the lucky winner of a bad product out The box. But this does not mean the product is bad by any means.it means the one you got had issues
As someone who has worked in retail for quite a while I tend to fall in line with this post. Most of the time if there are going to be any problems or issues from the factory regarding your equipment it will be noticed immediately not six months down the road. If it is a good company and they want to keep their good record and great customer relations they should fix those issues promptly.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not true have you seen the new kessil light.
It has the original audio connector for legacy products.
It has a usb c for new products and it has wi-fi
So you can choose what connection fits your needs.
The new light is not apex compatible same thing
With ecotech their light not compatible with Neptune.
Why ? Because they feel they can do better.

isn’t that exactly what they did by keeping the old Aquabus options but then adding the 1-link as the new connection type?
Im failing to see your point other than you just don’t like Neptune or their products which is fine.

Amado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
isn’t that exactly what they did by keeping the old Aquabus options but then adding the 1-link as the new connection type?
Im failing to see your point other than you just don’t like Neptune or their products which is fine.

You are replacing one old none water proof connector (aquabus)
With another proprietary cable (1 link) that’s not water proof.
Instead of using usb c that’s water proof and I can buy it at Walmart.

Mhart032

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that thing come off the line and don’t work.
I don’t buy ford so that I personally don’t have those problems. I wouldn’t consider ford to be a premium product.
When you buy a Tesla you can see the quality immediately.
The company stands by its product. Ford uses a lot of plastic parts To cut cost. Apple makes premium products when you touch an iPhone for the 1st time you could see the difference.
If you buy a Apple computer you can feel the quality over the competitors. If you have a problem they will fix it. Apple care is amazing. I Ike I said a lot of people are happy driving fords
I am not and at a high price point I would rather something with more quality. For me it’s not the fact that they have problems but more how the company reacts.
Ecotech had problems with the new lights arriving cracked. They didn’t say it was user error or blame it on fed ex. They stood by their product and returned and fixed any problem with their lights. Eco tech is more expensive it’s a premium product. When you
Touch a ecotech pump you can feel the difference
From it’s competitors immediately.

Wait! Im not trying to get into a ticking match but.. Tesla a premium product? lol the 1 in door gap on one side and 1/2 in door gap on the other?, the unpainted panels, badly orange peel in the paint, no paint prep. the broken kick panels, headliner falling down mind you this was new cars from the factory? seat belts missing bolts. yes this was all that was wrong with my 3 Tesla S when i rejected them at the dealership, the QC is terrible. I quickly went back.. wait i ran back to BMW. and i do own a Ford F250 for work and its been a great truck. as far as not premium? Ill take my F250 Platinum over 90% of the cars made today.

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are replacing one old none water proof connector (aquabus)
With another proprietary cable (1 link) that’s not water proof.
Instead of using usb c that’s water proof and I can buy it at Walmart.

Again 1 link is not proprietary, can easily be purchased online and in stores as it is a standard non-repeating usb cable. Next who gives a flying crap USB C is water proof? when is your Trident going to be in the water? if your equipment is getting that wet that you need a water proof connector then you have other issues that need to be handled. I agree with Glassmunky, it sounds like you just don't like them or their products so you're grasping at straws, which is fine and dandy.

Amado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again 1 link is not proprietary, can easily be purchased online and in stores as it is a standard non-repeating usb cable. Next who gives a flying crap USB C is water proof? when is your Trident going to be in the water? if your equipment is getting that wet that you need a water proof connector then you have other issues that need to be handled. I agree with Glassmunky, it sounds like you just don't like them or their products so you're grasping at straws, which is fine and dandy.

The point of this tread is how the trident built quality is horrible. That’s what we are talking about.
If you want to start a tread on how Neptune apex
Products save your life go ahead.
In this we are talking about what we think of the product honestly. We can like Neptune and agree that a water proof. Connector in the aquarium hobby is a good thing.
We can have different points of view without the
Other person taking the forum personal.
We are not here to talk about cars it’s not a car forum.
The original post was about the trident being ******.

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The point of this tread is how the trident built quality is horrible. That’s what we are talking about.
In this we are talking about what we think of the product honestly. We can like Neptune and agree that a water proof. Connector in the aquarium hobby is a good thing.
I made no mention of a car, nor have I taken anything personal. But thanks for your opinion.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with the car post just to point out that even machines that cost 60-90,000 have issues brand new out the box and for the guy claiming Tesla is so great even Tesla has broken cars out the box if you worked at the dealer you would know. The plastic trident housing is just a cover for what’s inside. Which IMO is definitely good enough For the purpose it was intended for. Also as someone stated if you need a water proof cable to your trident you have way bigger problems to address. And for someone who thinks AppleCare is amazing how can you not complain about having to make an appointment to show up at the store and then still wait three hours for them to take care of you just to do a reset on your phone.Apple care and Apple stores are a joke and yes I do on an iPhone. Anyways my point is all machines fail or at least most do.

Last edited:

Amado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with the car post just to point out that even machines that cost 60-90,000 have issues brand new out the box and for the guy claiming Tesla is so great even Tesla has broken cars out the box if you worked at the dealer you would know. The plastic trident housing is just a cover for what’s inside. Which IMO is definitely good enough For the purpose it was intended for. Also as someone stated if you need a water proof cable to your trident you have way bigger problems to address. And for someone who thinks AppleCare is amazing how can you not complain about having to make an appointment to show up at the store and then still wait three hours for them to take care of you just to do a reset on your phone.Apple care and Apple stores are a joke and yes I do on an iPhone. Anyways my point is all machines fail or at least most do.

I understand that things fail. The point I am making is how the company reacts. That is what matters. I gave the ecotech light issue as an example they had a problem with the product and they made it right. Immediately
The reason you use usb C is so that if you have water
Spash on it it won’t Get damage. Kessil new light is water resistant. Our cell phone a few years back you couldn’t wet them now they removed the headphone jack and made the phones water proof.

NeptunePaul

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Amado we are sorry to hear you had some issues and were less than satisfied. I do see you reached out to us, outside working hours, and we responded, outside normal working hours, with a question and a request for a picture for more information to help solve your issue. Your next response, moments later, was that you had already returned the product. We are sorry to hear you weren't satisfied and we did not get the opportunity to make this right for you. I hope we get the opportunity to make things right for you in the future.

Amado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Amado we are sorry to hear you had some issues and were less than satisfied. I do see you reached out to us, outside working hours, and we responded, outside normal working hours, with a question and a request for a picture for more information to help solve your issue. Your next response, moments later, was that you had already returned the product. We are sorry to hear you weren't satisfied and we did not get the opportunity to make this right for you. I hope we get the opportunity to make things right for you in the future.

Yes I was very mad that it didn’t work. I was excited to install
The trident but then it was a huge disappointment.
Neptune apex help desk was very fast at responding but I was really upset to have the issue.

The only reason I even posted on this thread is because this just happened to me.

U

User1

View Badges
I understand that things fail. The point I am making is how the company reacts. That is what matters. I gave the ecotech light issue as an example they had a problem with the product and they made it right. Immediately
The reason you use usb C is so that if you have water
Spash on it it won’t Get damage. Kessil new light is water resistant. Our cell phone a few years back you couldn’t wet them now they removed the headphone jack and made the phones water proof.

What is it that Neptune needs to react to with regards to the Trident? I see you had a possible issue but it sounds like to me you didn't like their answer, threw up your hands, and said I'm out. That is your choice.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait! Im not trying to get into a ticking match but.. Tesla a premium product? lol the 1 in door gap on one side and 1/2 in door gap on the other?,

I was thinking the same thing. Tesla build quality is pretty crap compared to pretty much every luxury brand, and even some non-luxury brands.

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was one of the first users at release and I will say it’s not what I had expected build wise and have had trouble with my pull out door and the black piece above it falling out. It’s flimsy and cheap plastic. I wouldn’t mind paying more for a better quality unit. That said I still like it and use it, but the quality is subpar.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back