OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks a bunch. Is it normal for them to continue breathing real heavy after the dip? Once back in the quarantine?

Immediately following the dip breathing will be labored. But it should subside after that (say within an hour or so).

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning I dosed two scoops of metro, still feeding GC, and dosed one pouch of Furan 2. As of 9:00 pm my wrasse was still alive and if he makes it through the night I will FW dip also. Any other effective treatments for Uronema?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning I dosed two scoops of metro, still feeding GC, and dosed one pouch of Furan 2. As of 9:00 pm my wrasse was still alive and if he makes it through the night I will FW dip also. Any other effective treatments for Uronema?
I’d just wait it out. I know that’s hard to do but there isn’t much more you can do.

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To clarify, if caught in QT, is it reasonable to expect this disease can be eradicated completely from a fish before going to DT?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To clarify, if caught in QT, is it reasonable to expect this disease can be eradicated completely from a fish before going to DT?

Yes, but you'll need to use Chloroquine or dose metronidazole every 48 hours for 10-14 days to be dang sure. I don't think most baths (even formalin) eliminate 100% of the parasites on the fish. The fish usually needs follow-up treatment post bath.

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost all 6 of the chromis I was quarantining. I think it's important to have the meds on hand at the first sign or even start treating before signs are visible. I had to wait 2 days after mine started showing signs and I think it was too late at that point

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost all 6 of the chromis I was quarantining. I think it's important to have the meds on hand at the first sign or even start treating before signs are visible. I had to wait 2 days after mine started showing signs and I think it was too late at that point

I had meds on hand and by the time the fish showed symptoms it was too late I never was able to knock it down. I think the best method of success will be to treat for it even if no symptoms are present.

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I lost a Royal Gramma with some redness shortly after receiving it, like within 24hr. It was in my QT with a handful of Anthias. I'm treating the Anthias food now with Metro and Kana (w/ Focus). Not sure it's Uronema or maybe it was just bacterial.

I'm not sure if I should react per above and think it's Uromema or if I continue with my normal QT treatments and monitor. Maybe add some Metro dosing at the end?

Will feeding meds treat the fish and keep them alive or does it need to be in the water to help the fish? I know I'll need to treat the water to treat the source but not sure if, while on meds, I should expect to see symptoms or not.

Also, what about a water treatment and then a tank transfer before it wears off?

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, but you'll need to use Chloroquine or dose metronidazole every 48 hours for 10-14 days to be dang sure. I don't think most baths (even formalin) eliminate 100% of the parasites on the fish. The fish usually needs follow-up treatment post bath.

I lost a Royal Gramma with some redness shortly after receiving it, like within 24hr. It was in my QT with a handful of Anthias. I'm treating the Anthias food now with Metro and Kana (w/ Focus). Not sure it's Uronema or maybe it was just bacterial.

I'm not sure if I should react per above and think it's Uronema or if I continue with my normal QT treatments and monitor. Maybe add some Metro dosing at the end?

Will feeding meds treat the fish and keep them alive or does it need to be in the water to help the fish? I know I'll need to treat the water to treat the source but not sure if, while on meds, I should expect to see symptoms or not.

Also, what about a water treatment and then a tank transfer before it wears off?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm not sure if I should react per above and think it's Uronema or if I continue with my normal QT treatments and monitor. Maybe add some Metro dosing at the end?

I would dose the QT with both Metro (for uronema) and Kana (for a possible infection) for 10-14 days. Also food soak metro daily for 10-14 days. That should take care of either issue.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there really any way to be sure a dreaded red spot on a fish is Uronema vs bacterial? Any specific signs that might point toward one vs the other?

I have a Potter's wrasse in QT that came in closer to death than life and after 5 days in the sand has emerged today unable to do anything but wobble around and lay on the bottom with a red area on one side. I'm thinking (hoping) bacterial that's affected the swim bladder, but can't be sure. Does Uronema tend to affect the buoyancy?

Though I'd love to save it, I think it's too far gone to start throwing meds around at this point. But, I do have another wrasse in the same QT that's perfectly fine, so I'm a bit worried about what might linger once the Potter's is gone.

Add to that I already lost a redtail tamarin (from the same shipment, also came in less than vigorous) that died within a day. Same issue with buoyancy. Redness on the abdomen but seemed external rather than internal.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photos of the Potter’s: I went ahead and dosed a round of GC. Figured it couldn’t hurt.

6d88a5a652f8f3172377537f1296b0fc.jpg

31c220fae268bb6a88fa4326432bbdfe.jpg

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there really any way to be sure a dreaded red spot on a fish is Uronema vs bacterial? Any specific signs that might point toward one vs the other?

If you skin scrape the affected area and look at it under a microscope, uronema will look like this:

sp_2.jpg
uron-250.gif
sp_1.jpg
sp_4.jpg

If not uronema, stain it for bacteria. A gram-positive bacterial infection will stain blue/violet; gram-negative is pinkish:

Gram_stain_01.jpg

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My less than good photos probably don't give any hints as to which it may be I suppose?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My less than good photos probably don't give any hints as to which it may be I suppose?

It could go either way. If this was my fish, I would give him a Rally bath and then start dosing Kanaplex + Metroplex + Furan-2 into a QT.

That strategy will address both uronema and bacterial.

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeling super discouraged.
Bought another group of 10 chromis 2 days ago. When I got them home I noticed that one already had a red spot.. Dosed tank with metro as soon as I put them in there. Started ramping up copper as well. Woke up today that one is already dead and at least 4 others have the dreaded red spots.. I have a feeling I will end up losing this whole group too :(

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will a ruby rally bath kill 100% of the parasites on the fish? So if I get another group and do a bath before putting them in the qt will that keep the disease out of my qt?

Nathan Milender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could go either way. If this was my fish, I would give him a Rally bath and then start dosing Kanaplex + Metroplex + Furan-2 into a QT.

That strategy will address both uronema and bacterial.

As I read these discussions I try to think through these diseases as they are somewhat new to me. Would you add methy-blue to this? I know it is considered a coat protective in fish but other stains such as gentian violet can be very effective for topical parasites and some very resistant eukaryotes such as yeast in terrestrial organisms.

The furan's I am unfamiliar with but they appear to have both gram + and - activity. I have yet to see Bactrim used on any fish medications, is there a product that contains trimethoprim?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 39.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 36 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back