Uronema_marinum

adroc718

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys
I just received my report from Aquabiomics and it conforms that Uronema_marinum is present in my display. I attached the PDF report.
I've been reading about treatments and such and had a few questions and was hoping for some opinions on the best method moving forwards.
I have a Waterbox 20 that's been set up for @ 6 months. After a bunch of fish losses the only surviving fish are a firefish, a yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp. They have been doing well, arent showing any symptoms and are eating and doing there thing.
I also have a bunch of frags that are mounted to either the live rock or rock rubble that i would really like to keep.
What would be the best method moving forward?
I was thinking i would need to remove surviving fish and place them in a QT and treat with meds (would the pistol shrimp be treated the same?), bleach tank, rocks and sand and start over. Or would it be better to toss the sand and get new?
what would i do with my frags? place in a separate QT? would the rock rubble they are attached to pose a problem? should i cut and re glue them onto new rubble or plugs first?
I dont have a ton of space, and the idea of having 2 QT's going seems a little over whelming.
any advice, protocol or words of comfort are welcome lol
I guess what im asking is what would you do. my only saving grace is the tank isnt that big,

Attachments

• Aquabiomic edna.pdf
    309.1 KB · Views: 16

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Can’t see this on my phone but uronema is oval shaped and at times produces raised scales
It’s caused often by low salinity, waste and debris in tank and even LFS
Fast treatment and removal of waste is essential
Treat with ruby rally pro or formalin based medication in a separate tank

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys
I just received my report from Aquabiomics and it conforms that Uronema_marinum is present in my display. I attached the PDF report.
I've been reading about treatments and such and had a few questions and was hoping for some opinions on the best method moving forwards.
I have a Waterbox 20 that's been set up for @ 6 months. After a bunch of fish losses the only surviving fish are a firefish, a yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp. They have been doing well, arent showing any symptoms and are eating and doing there thing.
I also have a bunch of frags that are mounted to either the live rock or rock rubble that i would really like to keep.
What would be the best method moving forward?
I was thinking i would need to remove surviving fish and place them in a QT and treat with meds (would the pistol shrimp be treated the same?), bleach tank, rocks and sand and start over. Or would it be better to toss the sand and get new?
what would i do with my frags? place in a separate QT? would the rock rubble they are attached to pose a problem? should i cut and re glue them onto new rubble or plugs first?
I dont have a ton of space, and the idea of having 2 QT's going seems a little over whelming.
any advice, protocol or words of comfort are welcome lol
I guess what im asking is what would you do. my only saving grace is the tank isnt that big,

Uronema is a ubiquitous protozoan. Aquabiomics reports 9% of aquariums have this, that number is actually lower than others have reported, where up to 75% of mature aquariums have been reported to contain free living Scuticociliates.

Uronema is NOT a primary pathogen. they normally are found free living in aquariums, where they feed on bacteria. Internal Uronema infections get started in newly shipped fish that have gone through a long supply chain. Guesses abound as to why that is, but suffice it to say that you will NOT see a Uronema infection except in recently acquired fish (time frame that I've seen is less than 4 to 6 month post importation).

So - this is what is termed an incidental finding.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 136 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back