Using Bayer as coral dip.

sluicebox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone needs to make up their own minds about use of such products that are not being used for their designed purpose. I suggest you review the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) before using any such product and placing it in your reef tank with your valuable livestock. The MSDS is on the home depot website below and it clearly states that the product is highly toxic to aquatic invertebrates and fish. You may be using it in such diluted concentrations and washing it off before placing the coral in your tank but you should be aware of the warning. Also, be aware that the MSDS only lists the active ingredients for the current formulation. You never know when it could change or what the other ingredients are. You might be adding something like tributyl tin or copper to your tank without knowing it. See the MSDS link below. I'm just suggesting that you know what's going into your tank.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/5d/5d13ea5a-1a9d-4290-abe3-c1d66f4e8929.pdf

Herbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is this better than Revive or something similar and who the heck was the first person to try this? I'm all about creative uses but this is a new one for me.

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is this better than Revive or something similar and who the heck was the first person to try this? I'm all about creative uses but this is a new one for me.

I am not entirely sure that it is better as I have never used either. However, it is much cheaper. I think that is the main people reason people are using it, that and oddly enough it works.

sluicebox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not entirely sure that it is better as I have never used either. However, it is much cheaper. I think that is the main people reason people are using it, that and oddly enough it works.

Potentially thousands $ vs. tens $...weigh the risks and take your chances. Just be aware of the risks is all I'm saying.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Typical coral dips have not been very effective towards red bugs and AEFW. That is why interceptor has been an alternative for a while now. Interceptor is a heartworm medication that you can only get from a Vet. It has been somewhat of an effective 'in tank' treatment for red bugs, but NOT for AEFW. But it does kill off inverts and other living fauna in the sandbed.

Bayer has just recently become a different option to Interceptor as it has been hard to always acquire from a Vet. It has been proven very effective towards redbugs and AEFW, to a point. It will not kill the eggs of AEFW.

These options are looked at typically only for Acros and other SPS, if you are just dipping zoas or LPS, then Revive or Coral Rx should be just fine.

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typical coral dips have not been very effective towards red bugs and AEFW. That is why interceptor has been an alternative for a while now. Interceptor is a heartworm medication that you can only get from a Vet. It has been somewhat of an effective 'in tank' treatment for red bugs, but NOT for AEFW. But it does kill off inverts and other living fauna in the sandbed.

Bayer has just recently become a different option to Interceptor as it has been hard to always acquire from a Vet. It has been proven very effective towards redbugs and AEFW, to a point. It will not kill the eggs of AEFW.

These options are looked at typically only for Acros and other SPS, if you are just dipping zoas or LPS, then Revive or Coral Rx should be just fine.

Thanks for the info!

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it started off as a thread on RC about 2 years ago. a reefer with a nice stocked sps tank with large colonies got fed up with loosing colonies and intercepter and other treatments not working. so being a last resort he decided for some reason to give it a try and it happened to work better than any other product at getting rid of AEFW. after using both coralrx and bayer imo the bayer works better and is less stressfull and usually you get really good PE out of your sps afterwards.

on a side note the bayer has been used on all types of corals zoas, lps , sps etc. and from what ive read all seems to have good results and very few corals dont like it. only one comes to mind Acropora Hyacinthus seems to not like it accourding to threads ive read and thats about it.

Last edited:

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would also be good to note that the Bayer DOES NOT kill the AEFW. It only makes them abandon the host coral while dipping. In my experience, anyway. And I have used up to 10ml/8oz of tank water for 15 min. with no ill effects to the coral. Or even the AEFW come to think of it. Heck I even left the worms in the stuff over night and still saw a few moving around the next morning. The stuff does make the worms come off of the coral it just does not kill them. I beat AEFW with this and know it works. Coral RX or revive works fine for zoas as a dip before placing in the display but not for acros, again in my experience. I dipped EVERYTHING in coral RX AND revive before I put it in my tank and still ended up with AEFW a While back. So take that for what it's worth.

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good info dave. i havent had AEFW yet personally but ive heard that also. maybe that good tho cause then u can torture the AEFW and get some extra satisfaction lol

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree 100% with dave. I have AEFW in my tank now. I had to dip a few acros tonight even. UGH. I hate them stupid things. even at 1ml per 2 cups water, they come right off with a baster.

data_loss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking I am going to give this a try on a monti cap colony I have that is infested with monti eating nudibranchs. I'm not able to really get into everywhere with a baster that the little buggers hang out though. I dipped this colony in Coral Rx and Lugols Iodine a few days ago and it dropped a couple dozen nudibranchs off in the container but I still see a bunch every night. Anyone have any experience with this stuff and nudibranchs?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back