Using Lightroom to Develop Aquarium Images

Brett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video Dennis!

For those not as versed in lightroom and exposure techniques, Dennis makes reference to "under exposing" the picture in order to capture the highlights properly. This is probably one of the best tips he can give to a beginner photographer. If we under expose or over expose the picture, we have information that we can play with in post processing to help us get the picture we want.

So taking this (exposure concept) a step further, you can also slightly over expose the picture to capture more of the details in the shadows. You can then recapture the highlights in Lightroom by playing with exposure or using the highlight slider bar. The same goes for under exposing the picture, you can also use the exposure slider or shadow slider bar to try and recapture lost details due to under exposure. Either way, you are sacrificing one for the other. The key is knowing when to use which technique (over vs under exposure). If you have some shadows around your subject that have some great detail and you don't care about the highlights, you can slightly over expose the picture to try and capture that detail. You risk "blowing out" (lingo for "losing") some of the highlights, but the good news is that since you obviously were smart enough to shoot in RAW, you can now "pull back" the exposure and recapture most of the highlights, as long as you didn't over expose too much. In booth cases, under or over exposing, it's a good idea to try and be within 1/2 to 1 stop of the true exposure. This gives you a lot of flexibility when you develop the digital negative.

So to recap:
Under exposure = better detail in highlights (Brighter areas of the picture)
Over expsoure = better detail in shadows (Darker areas of the picture)

Circling back to Dennis's under exposure tip, I think digital cameras tend to do a better job at magically capturing details in the shadows when under exposed compared to losing details in the highlights when over exposed. So leaning towards slightly under might be better.

Hopefully no one's head is spinning too much, tried to keep it simple...

samparker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tips! This is my humble efforts, decent for a first try at Lightroom I reckon!
update.jpg

IMG_9458.jpg

IMG_9541-2.jpg

IMG_9642.jpg

Ftrain576

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great stuff guys. Question for Sam Parker...am I correct that you are using a macro lens for those shots,and if so what type. Also is that glass or acrylic you are shooting through?

samparker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they were all taken on my cannon 100mm F2.8L macro lens, but may have been on my 24-70 F2.8L too.

My tank is glass, acrylic is pretty unusual here in Australia.

OzarksReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent tutorial on Lightroom! I've always admired the photos in your threads and appreciate getting some insight into your workflow. Thanks for putting the work into the video - it's a great resource for the community.

I've been working with Adobe products a long time and just started using Lightroom around a year ago. Probably the most important feature I use is batch processing a group of photos taken under the same lighting conditions. This is perfect for aquarium photography since the lighting doesn't really change much while taking photos. It gets all the development settings pretty close for a batch and then you can go through and do minor tweaks to each photo before exporting.

tvu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone try Focus Stacking? Read a member in here used that technique for super detailed shots.

OzarksReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone try Focus Stacking? Read a member in here used that technique for super detailed shots.

I haven't tried it using LR yet, but I noticed my camera body (Olympus OMD EM-1 Mark I) supports that function. Looks like a really cool feature for macro shooting - I'm going to give it a try sometime. Still need to invest in a good macro lens.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Focus stacking will only work if NOTHING moves.
I wouldn't say it would be impossible but it would be pretty hard in our tanks.
If you do try it, photoshop has a feature that will take the shots and combine them for you.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Focus stacking will only work if NOTHING moves.
I wouldn't say it would be impossible but it would be pretty hard in our tanks.
If you do try it, photoshop has a feature that will take the shots and combine them for you.
+1. I bought the stacking plugin for LR (~$8) and played with it a bunch. If anything moves even a hair, you're done for. Even with the flow completely off this is hard to achieve since these things are all alive :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am officially watching this article for suture reference!

Joshsils

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to thank d2mini for this information, it's given me the confidence to take shots with my DSLR and edit them. I've got a way to go but i'm really enjoying it.
Diamond tail flasher wrasse 17.05.20.png
Seafighter 17.05.20.png
clown .png
Kole 1 17.05.20.png

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 157 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back