UV heat generation?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@strich I want the UV to help with parasite control and be able to toggle it to help with algae. Water clarity is a very nice bonus too.

@gbroadbridge I am using pentairs manual. For the 18w at 37-60 GPH exposure would be 180,000 uw/cm2. Are you saying this is outdated information? Was there some recent studies done? Thanks :)

Pentairs manual lists up to 60 gallons and I'll be just over that. I figured it would at least help. I could change the bulb early and keep flow on the higher end of recommended.

Edit: oh you mean the pentair manual is based on freshwater ich duh.. so I need 280k uw/cm2 exposure?
The latest chart I have is attached below. It is a metric version of the Pentair commercial documentation but you can convert back simply enough. LPM / 3.79 = gallons per minute flow.

FWIW, I have worked professionally on the design of ornamental fish quarantine and treatment systems.

Screenshot 2024-04-17 at 4.17.13 PM.png

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, all my tanks went up about 2F with properly sized unit
yes some water clarity for algae &/ bacterial blooms but not to be confused with ozone which is more molecular than a bio zapper/sterilizer

just adding my sample…

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, UV does not kill anything, it sterilises the organism so that the organism is incapable of reproducing.

While the mechanism of action (MOA) is inactivation for some microbes, it must certainly kills others through different means such as apoptosis. So…
I'm sorry, but this statement is plain wrong.

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry, but this statement is plain wrong.

First, UV does not kill anything, it sterilises the organism so that the organism is incapable of reproducing.

Second, most beneficial bacteria in a tank are on surfaces, there is virtually none in the water column.
The other poster has essentially addressed it, UV sterilizers absolutely destroy the DNA and therefore the cells of many organisms going through it. So yes it does destroy beneficial bacteria.

However I will concede your other point is accurate - most volume of beneficial bacteria is not free floating in the water column and therefore won't be as freely destroyed as negative viruses. I hadn't considered that.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. Things that are dead cannot reproduce. You said UV does not kill cells.
It does not kill the cell, it damages the DNA contained within the living cell.
The cell survives, it simply cannot reproduce.

Eventually of course, this results in a no living organisms left provided that you are sterilising them before they get a chance to reproduce.

This is why it is essential that the UV dose is high enough and that the tank water volume is turned over at an appropriate speed.

Dosing charts for professional UV systems are published so that the radiation exposure is sufficient, and that the flow rate can turn over the aquarium volume fast enough for adequate sterilisation.

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@gbroadbridge Thank you for sharing your wisdom here!

I found a new 25w pentair locally to me. I could I set this up with my 18w and be at 43w. I'd have to use a 1/2" connection between the two units as that is what I have glued in right now. Is that a bad idea? I gotta lowball him or else Id rather just buy this,

https://fishtanksdirect.com/emperor-aquatics-smart-40-watt-uv-sterilizer/ .

I'm not sure why it is still branded emperor aquatics since they were bought out 10 years ago now...

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%

Back