Vaping and Reef Tanks?

Acameron2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had my wisdom teeth cut and extracted and literally moments after surgery I was vaping and never got dry socket nor any infections and healed very quickly. So I'd be confident to Vape around a tank considering my experience.

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been vaping a bit over 2 years after smoking for over 15 years and will never look back. I make my own juice on rebuildable coils and have absolutely no worries about any kind of negative impact to my tanks.

Each puff of my "smoke" is basically:
70% Vegetable Glycerin
29.972% Propylene Glycol
.01% nicotine
.007% Ethyl Maltol
.006% Cyclotene
.005% Acetyl Pyrazine
edit...didn't realize google did percentage of percentage calculations

Factor in the dilution into the air after exhaling and the minimal surface area of the tank water and we are talking about some pretty miniscule quantities of anything that makes contact with the water. I'd worry more about impurities in my salt mix.

Last edited:

InkJunkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always smoked outside so this is the first time having an issue like this other than the extremely rare occasion I fell asleep and didn't realize I left a candle burning.
I'm vaping sub ohm, very high VG, not sure that makes a difference from a standard ecig.
Thanks for the input everyone. Don't want to harm my fish in any manner.

Last edited:

Dtackett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yay vaping! I just got my cheap ebay vape pen no doubt build in some sweat shop in china (I can taste the tears) and I gotta say, I haven't wanted to smoke all day. considering ive been smoking for 10 years and I haven't picked up a cigarette all day, I say this is a pretty good alternative. ill probably be picking up a mod box soon and getting better equipment and liquids.

Cameron Martinez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda had the same question. Winter time and the house is sealed PH seems to be low in all three tanks. The larger tank and the only open top tank always as had a Low PH issue but the two smaller tanks 30 gallon and 16 gallon saltwater a s well the ph has always been good and now they have dropped. Both me and my wife vape for three years now as well as the other guy I use very low nic and order my own PG VG flavoring and NIC from 3 different sources the PG VG and flavoring from food companies and the NiC from a FDA approved lab. Try to make sure I'm not quitting the cancer sticks for popcorn lung.
Back to the point has any one noticed a drop in PH that vapes and also this time of year with the house as air tight as possible. Truthfully you can always feel a breeze in my house but you know what I mean.
It could have nothing to do with the vape and could be the old furnace as well.
I did do the air stone test with a cup indoors and out doors for an hour with an air stone the out door cup did have a increase of PH as the indoor cup was actually worse than the tank water by a tiny bit.
Any ideas and or same issue so I can stop the vape around the tanks if needed.
Thanks for any input or others with the same results.

Dtackett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive seen one guy who did a bit of an odd setup. it worked really well but im not sure the cost of setup or maintenance. he hooked up an o2 bottle for breathing machines to a co2 setup for a freshwater tank, then ran the pure o2 into his sump right before his skimmer intake and he said once he got it dialed in he was able to maintain a proper ph. his system was always down around 7.2-7.4 before then.

markron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well when making your own juice you know exactly what your putting in it so no unknown chemicals.

everyone at work (restaurant) harasses me about it and i plainly tell them this. the juice is made up of vegetable glycerine, nicotine, and polypropylene glycol. WHne they say what the heck is that i go grab a few storebought dressings or condiments from the shelf and show them that it is in everything shelf stable that we eat.

kind of an eye opener for most of them who all they hear are the names of the chemicals and not being told by the media that they are used and consumed everyday by mostly everyone use CRYSTAL PRO MAX 4001.
I quit smoking about a year ago thanks to vaping. I'm just curious if there will be any possible ill-effects with running an open top aquarium with this stuff floating around in the air? I'm somewhat of a 'cloud chaser' my apartment is always foggy haha. I use the low-nicotine stuff so that shouldn't be an issue, but the propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin is what I have a slight concern with. These are FDA food-safe ingredients, but what's safe for us isn't necessarily reef-safe. I'm sure no one has really done a study on this, considering how recently vaping has become mainstream.

Scubabum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I quit smoking about a year ago thanks to vaping. I'm just curious if there will be any possible ill-effects with running an open top aquarium with this stuff floating around in the air? I'm somewhat of a 'cloud chaser' my apartment is always foggy haha. I use the low-nicotine stuff so that shouldn't be an issue, but the propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin is what I have a slight concern with. These are FDA food-safe ingredients, but what's safe for us isn't necessarily reef-safe. I'm sure no one has really done a study on this, considering how recently vaping has become mainstream.
Congrats on giving up the stinky's. I've been vaping around my 5 reeftanks for years without any negative side effects. All of my tanks, I would consider successful. This one is in the room I vape in all day long...
20240108_140033.jpg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back