Vibrio - do I need to tear apart the tank?

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank that was home to only erectus seashorses, corals, and a few peppermint shrimp. After a major tank re-aquascaping and cleaning, I started losing my ponies very quickly. I now understand this was due to me stirring things up so lesson learned.

The few that are still alive have been in a hospital tank for the past couple of weeks - I'm trying to salvage them. My question is about what to do with the tank they were in? Do I have to tear it apart and sterilize everything and start fresh with new rock and a cycle? Or can I just keep doing large water changes and keep running the UV sterilizer I just put in? From the little I've been able to find on vibrio, it pretty much exists in most tanks and lies dormant but attacks when the livestock are stressed or injured. I really don't want to start fresh with this tank - I've invested a fortune in it and the corals are still doing really well. If I have to tear it apart, I probably won't put it back together again. :(
Sue

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SueAndHerZoo Welcome to the Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis Forum!

The #fishmedic team and other knowledgeable members of our community will do our best to help you resolve your questions. Please provide as much of the following as you are able:
  • Brief description of the issue you are observing and answers to the following questions:
    • How long have you had the fish with the condition?
    • Did you quarantine with medication when you first acquired the fish? (If Yes, which medication?)
  • Current water quality measurements
  • Clear photos of the issue taken using WHITE light and/or a short video of any behaviors (post in your response or on YouTube).
If you can help us by providing as much of the above info as possible, it will make diagnosing and providing recommendations for treatment MUCH easier! The Fish Medic team will get back to you as quickly as possible. In the meantime, other members of our community may also share their experience with similar situations and advice that they may have regarding your situation.

You may also feel free to provide a more detailed description of the condition if you wish to share more info than the above list.

Additionally, these links may be useful while you await a response:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank that was home to only erectus seashorses, corals, and a few peppermint shrimp. After a major tank re-aquascaping and cleaning, I started losing my ponies very quickly. I now understand this was due to me stirring things up so lesson learned.

The few that are still alive have been in a hospital tank for the past couple of weeks - I'm trying to salvage them. My question is about what to do with the tank they were in? Do I have to tear it apart and sterilize everything and start fresh with new rock and a cycle? Or can I just keep doing large water changes and keep running the UV sterilizer I just put in? From the little I've been able to find on vibrio, it pretty much exists in most tanks and lies dormant but attacks when the livestock are stressed or injured. I really don't want to start fresh with this tank - I've invested a fortune in it and the corals are still doing really well. If I have to tear it apart, I probably won't put it back together again. :(
Sue
The various Vibrios are mostly ubiquitous, they are found in all aquariums. Environmental stressors can cause them to be pathogenic with some fish, including seahorses.

A strong UV can help limit their numbers free floating in the water.

No point in trying to sterilize the tank, these will just get reintroduced?

How did you confirm it was a vibrio?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The various Vibrios are mostly ubiquitous, they are found in all aquariums. Environmental stressors can cause them to be pathogenic with some fish, including seahorses.

Another comment - agree with above - it would suggest to me that you be certain to wear gloves especially if you have a cut, etc. I'm assuming you used some DNA service - they should be able to tell you the specific vibrio. If it is vibrio - a sulfa drug should be good.

OP
OP
SueAndHerZoo

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Never have confirmed it was vibrio so it may not be, but something definitely is eroding their flesh and killing them. You guys had looked at a few photos of my ponies in this thread and had used the term vibrio but no, I can't confirm that it is. Just not sure what to do about the tank they were in. Right now it's just home to corals, peppermint shrimp, and a sea hare.
Sue

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 16 34.0%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back