Diagnosis?

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. I noticed one of my seahorses had what looked like gas bubble disease a few days ago. I put her in a hospital tank with Diamox, but I lost her yesterday. Today I found two dead seahorses in my seahorse tank. You can see obvious skin discoloration on one but the other looks perfectly fine. Wondering if I need to get the rest of my ponies out of there if this is something contagious? There was a major re-Aqua escaping yesterday, but I don't think that would have killed these two overnight.

IMG_0962.jpeg IMG_0961.jpeg IMG_0960.jpeg

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. I noticed one of my seahorses had what looked like gas bubble disease a few days ago. I put her in a hospital tank with Diamox, but I lost her yesterday. Today I found two dead seahorses in my seahorse tank. You can see obvious skin discoloration on one but the other looks perfectly fine. Wondering if I need to get the rest of my ponies out of there if this is something contagious? There was a major re-Aqua escaping yesterday, but I don't think that would have killed these two overnight.

IMG_0962.jpeg IMG_0961.jpeg IMG_0960.jpeg
I asked a question posting a dead fish. I was told they cant tell you anything from that. Send a picture of the live ones and send it #reefsquad

OP
OP
SueAndHerZoo

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thank you for that information - I somehow have missed that all these years. I'll try to get some good shots of my "healthy" seahorses.
Sue

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thank you for that information - I somehow have missed that all these years. I'll try to get some good shots of my "healthy" seahorses.
Sue
I think the #fishmedics like to look for laboured breathing erratic swimming patterns etc. I'm a fish guy tho so am not sure if it's the same for ponies

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a major re-Aqua escaping yesterday, but I don't think that would have killed these two overnight.

If there was a lot of churning of the substrate while working, it can be fatal. But I do not think that is the case here.

OP
OP
SueAndHerZoo

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there was a lot of churning of the substrate while working, it can be fatal. But I do not think that is the case here.
It's not a very deep sand bed, just a light covering, but there was a lot of stirring right before the water change. One of them definitely had something "off" for a few days before that, but the other one looked perfectly fine one day and gone the next. I wonder if he got hurt by a rock during all the movement - you know how curious they are and always want to be where your hands are. All I can do now is observe the remaining ones closely and give them as good an environment as I can. I have 24 seahorse fry that are about a month old so the cycle of life is progressing. I actually wonder if the one that looked fine died of old age ..... he was the biggest in the tank and been there for quite a while. (shrug).
Sue

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a quarantine tank going and it had high ammonia so I did a major water change. The tank is only a 20 and I used my pump and water hose to fill it back up. I managed to kill one fish with the force I had it on. Things happen

OP
OP
SueAndHerZoo

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sue
Looks like I might be losing another one or two. Can you see bubbling on the tail?

Attachments

• IMG_0996.jpeg
    IMG_0996.jpeg
    193.8 KB · Views: 25

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing you did that for me by tagging him/her? Or is there somewhere else I should go to find this person?
Yes you put that at the end of your post in the text section nothing special. They are a group of people all highly trained and your post will be sent to the appropriate person /persons. Sorry should have explained that

OP
OP
SueAndHerZoo

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you put that at the end of your post in the text section nothing special. They are a group of people all highly trained and your post will be sent to the appropriate person /persons. Sorry should have explained that
Thank you! The hospital tank is set up and ready but I haven't moved any of the ponies in there yet.... I don't like to haphazardly "treat" anything before I know what I'm dealing with and what the CORRECT treatment is. I do have Diamox on hand if needed.... waiting to see what the next few hours brings.
Sue

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like I might be losing another one or two. Can you see bubbling on the tail?
Oh no, This is flesh erosion and often stems from water quality issues and can be aggressive with seahorses once it begins. It's bacterial in nature and a form of what's known as vibrio and behaves like uronema in a fish but eats flesh to the bone of the skeletal structure. The remedy, If not too late is Furan2 which is near impossible to find but seachem tri-sulfa May work. In the past, some used Neosporin which helped but safer alternative mat be seachem neomyacin.
If vibrio, it may not respond to any meds but first importance will be clean, sterile water and maintained in clean water

OP
OP
SueAndHerZoo

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no, This is flesh erosion and often stems from water quality issues and can be aggressive with seahorses once it begins. It's bacterial in nature and a form of what's known as vibrio and behaves like uronema in a fish but eats flesh to the bone of the skeletal structure. The remedy, If not too late is Furan2 which is near impossible to find but seachem tri-sulfa May work. In the past, some used Neosporin which helped but safer alternative mat be seachem neomyacin.
If vibrio, it may not respond to any meds but first importance will be clean, sterile water and maintained in clean water
Thank you for that. As disheartening as it is to hear, it's better to know what is happening. So obviously Diamox is not the answer here. I am going to head out to my supply shed to see if I have any Furan in my medical stuff. I'm wondering if should do a huge water change in that tank or put the remaining ponies in the small hospital tank that is pristine right now? Thanks again.
Sue

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you for that. As disheartening as it is to hear, it's better to know what is happening. So obviously Diamox is not the answer here. I am going to head out to my supply shed to see if I have any Furan in my medical stuff. I'm wondering if should do a huge water change in that tank or put the remaining ponies in the small hospital tank that is pristine right now? Thanks again.
Sue
If you happen to have the furan - Its the most effective

OP
OP
SueAndHerZoo

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will anything here help?

Attachments

• IMG_1003.jpeg
    IMG_1003.jpeg
    238.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1004.jpeg
    IMG_1004.jpeg
    263.2 KB · Views: 19

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 71 75.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back