Diagnosis?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Will anything here help?
The closets would be tri-sulfa however make sure its Not expired and apply at 70% of the suggested dosage if not expired. The neomyacin is questionable as im not familiar with it but has some of the ingredients of neoplex and making me reluctant of its use and application

OP
OP
SueAndHerZoo

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The closets would be tri-sulfa however make sure its Not expired and apply at 70% of the suggested dosage if not expired. The neomyacin is questionable as im not familiar with it but has some of the ingredients of neoplex and making me reluctant of its use and application
Oh hell yes, it's expired. Didn't realize I have been keeping ponies for over 15 years. Will it hurt them if expired or just not be of any use?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Oh hell yes, it's expired. Didn't realize I have been keeping ponies for over 15 years. Will it hurt them if expired or just not be of any use?
I would not chance it

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for that. As disheartening as it is to hear, it's better to know what is happening. So obviously Diamox is not the answer here. I am going to head out to my supply shed to see if I have any Furan in my medical stuff. I'm wondering if should do a huge water change in that tank or put the remaining ponies in the small hospital tank that is pristine right now? Thanks again.
Sue
To remove them and put in your other tank, Then do a complete stripping of your existing and sterilize it would be my approach if possible in light of no other way to kill this bacteria I hope I never encounter

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Daimox is often only a temporary fix for GBD.

When I see lesions like that, I always do a microscopic skin scrape - you need to differentiate between bacteria and protozoans. You can’t see bacteria under a regular look at scope, but if you DON’T see protozoans, then presume it is bacterial.

OP
OP
SueAndHerZoo

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I still have a microscope somewhere that I used to use to look at skin scrapes from cats at the shelter I volunteer at. It's not going to cause more damage doing a light scraping on a seahorse? They are so fragile and delicate!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I still have a microscope somewhere that I used to use to look at skin scrapes from cats at the shelter I volunteer at. It's not going to cause more damage doing a light scraping on a seahorse? They are so fragile and delicate!
I was thinking of scraping any freshly dead ones, if you haven’t scraped live fish before, you need to take care, as it does take a bit of practice. Sometimes, you can just use a Q tip swab on the lesion, then rinse it with seawater onto a microscope slide.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 69 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back