OP
OP
Maltese

Maltese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bumped it 5mls a week. Not .5, but 5mls, and don't worry I've got plenty of people out there that have done this with no ill affects to their tanks.

5.0ml daily if i understand you well ?, excuse me for my english its my second language

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping it up 5mls a week, not 5mls daily. You keep adding weekly until the nitrates start to come down. At the charts rate, you will be waiting for 7 months before you see the nitrates come down.

OP
OP
Maltese

Maltese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping it up 5mls a week, not 5mls daily. You keep adding weekly until the nitrates start to come down. At the charts rate, you will be waiting for 7 months before you see the nitrates come down.

If i understand you well i have to dose 5ml once every week is that right? And what about a white film is forming on the glass what' s that? Do i have to cleaning?

20150303_183956.jpg

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figure out your starting dose, say 2ml. Dose that for a week, then the second week go to 7ml, third week 12ml. Add 5ml weekly till your nitrates start to come down. Then cut that dose in half for maintenance and monitor your nitrates. You may have to add more if your nitrates start to climb back up.

OP
OP
Maltese

Maltese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figure out your starting dose, say 2ml. Dose that for a week, then the second week go to 7ml, third week 12ml. Add 5ml weekly till your nitrates start to come down. Then cut that dose in half for maintenance and monitor your nitrates. You may have to add more if your nitrates start to climb back up.

Ok now i understand thanks. Excuse me but english is my second language. Have you seen the picture i posted? Do you know what's that white film that is forming on the glass? Do i have to remove it (clean it )?

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok now i understand thanks. Excuse me but english is my second language. Have you seen the picture i posted? Do you know what's that white film that is forming on the glass? Do i have to remove it (clean it )?
read the articles that there is a link to on this thread it explains everything including the white film.

OP
OP
Maltese

Maltese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
read the articles that there is a link to on this thread it explains everything including the white film.[/QUOTE

Thanks a lot to everybody for the patience and help you take, to teach me and understanding. I really appreciate :smile:

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
read the articles that there is a link to on this thread it explains everything including the white film.[/QUOTE

Thanks a lot to everybody for the patience and help you take, to teach me and understanding. I really appreciate :smile:
Hope you didn't take it wrong. I love talking about reef and answering questions and asking questions. I just think the article is much clearer and more informative than what some people would answer. And that's not an insult either I'm sure everybody tries there best.

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
more info=better decision making. Like the article posted.
Hope you didn't take it wrong. I love talking about reef and answering questions and asking questions. I just think the article is much clearer and more informative than what some people would answer. And that's not an insult either I'm sure everybody tries there best.

OP
OP
Maltese

Maltese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No, i didn't ! Why i should! You helped me a lot, and i like to learn too. I don't have your experience that's why i am very proud that i registered to this Reef2Reef Forum so i can learn and make my reef tank better. My 100g reef tank is 4 years old and i have no one to talk with on reef tanks. Now i found you and slowly my dream will come true, a reef tank that i always dream to have. Thanks to you.

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
everyone here at reef to reef has helped me greatly as well. My tank is also doing better than ever. I'll so don't have many people in my area to speak with so I completely understand. Congratz on the tank. 4 years is not too shabby. lol

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the white film on the glass build up over a few days is from the bacteria growth, just need to wipe it off, no need to do anything else. Thats going to happen.

brutuscz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a product called AZ-no3. Works quicker than vodka. A high nitrate level will usually be down to zero in 30days or less. I just bought another bottle cheap at marinedepot. Always worked well for me in the past.

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried azno3 long time back. Dose gets large. Its expensive. And it can cause issue if you stop using it suddenly. Although it has some success I dont think its the best approach.have you researched peoples experience with it?

brutuscz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used It on and off for years. Never had a problem. But, you are supposed to wean the tank off the product..not just stop It.

OP
OP
Maltese

Maltese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the white film on the glass build up over a few days is from the bacteria growth, just need to wipe it off, no need to do anything else. Thats going to happen.

Thank you Reef Madness. Yesterday i started dosing 5ml and the water remained crystal clear. Next week i dose 10ml.

traumajeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are you talking vodka or vinegar with the weekly 5ml increase? No flaming intended, but that seems like a lot no? In the chart posted above, a 150g tops out at around 8ml. I've heard of people dosing 150ml of vinegar into a large tank, but the potency of vodka is so much higher... I honestly couldn't see many tanks needing even 12ml unless they are fairly large. I topped out at 7ml vodka on my 150g total setup and maintain at 4.5ml.

OP
OP
Maltese

Maltese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking vodka or vinegar with the weekly 5ml increase? No flaming intended, but that seems like a lot no? In the chart posted above, a 150g tops out at around 8ml. I've heard of people dosing 150ml of vinegar into a large tank, but the potency of vodka is so much higher... I honestly couldn't see many tanks needing even 12ml unless they are fairly large. I topped out at 7ml vodka on my 150g total setup and maintain at 4.5ml.

Yes traumajeff we were discussing about The Vodka Method. I was using the chart that i posted for quite 4 weeks and i did' nt get any results in nitrates. Then i posted here and they given me a better solution. These guys are experts in reef tanks and they have a lot of experience to share with us, they know what they are talking about. Since from yesterday i begin to use their formula that they advised me to do and everything is ok the fish and even my corals they are normal.

traumajeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes traumajeff we were discussing about The Vodka Method. I was using the chart that i posted for quite 4 weeks and i did' nt get any results in nitrates. Then i posted here and they given me a better solution. These guys are experts in reef tanks and they have a lot of experience to share with us, they know what they are talking about. Since from yesterday i begin to use their formula that they advised me to do and everything is ok the fish and even my corals they are normal.
Maltese... the people here are definitely great! I've learned a lot reading everything I could! I dose vsv myself, with great results. I know you said that English was your 2nd language, and things may be lost in translation for me. So... to clarify things: You said you were using the chart based on a 100g system. If you were to follow the chart, at week 16, you'd be at 8.3ml. If you jump up at 5ml every week, by the 2nd week you would already exceed the 16 week dose. I'm not saying increasing the recommended dose is bad, but two things come to mind... 1st: dosing can take a while to work. Many people don't see results for weeks, if not months. This may be shortened by increasing the dose more frequently, but that's not always the case. 2nd: let's say that it takes 5 weeks to notice a difference. By that time, you'll be using over 25ml. That's quite a bit for your tank. Also, are you dosing daily? I know there was some confusion earlier in the thread as to whether it was weekly or daily.

If you notice my post farther up, I use vsv. I cheated and increased my doses more frequently than recommended. I don't think it's a bad thing at all. I only questioned that post above, because 5ml increases seem better suited for people that dose vinegar, as it takes a considerable amount more than vodka to achieve similar results.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
traumajeff, this is where I am pulling the 5ml reference from. I won't say 5ml per week across the board, it all depends on your tank size where you start and how much you bump your dose up. I was just going off the reference made here.

I believe you can raise dosing more frequently or the amounts more then the chart says and most tanks can handle it. Can all? No, but there is no one thing fits all in any part of this hobby.

Guess it is this. Test your nitrates and phosphates. Then begin dosing. Ramp up dosing per chart or a little bit more, but not over dosing. Continue to test for nitrates and phosphates, preferrably before upping the dose weekly. Once you see your levels start to fall, cut the dose in half and monitor. You may need to adjust the dose if your levels rise again.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back