Want to buy this fish, but should I?

alanbetiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know it's kind of shooting from the hip. Since we don't know the specific causative agent you'll never know if it's truly healed and you're wait for regrowth or if any bacteria is still present. At the minimum I'd say when 50% is healed. Logically going until completely healed is probably better. And the vet in me would say 48 hours beyond clinical signs are gone (fully healed). That's what we'd do for other animal infections.
It's a crapshoot with the stress. I'd expect if you stopped early and restarted if you saw any relapse you wouldn't get any major resistances in that short of a time period.
Wordy answer of "I don't know":D

OP
OP
cmcoker

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know it's kind of shooting from the hip. Since we don't know the specific causative agent you'll never know if it's truly healed and you're wait for regrowth or if any bacteria is still present. At the minimum I'd say when 50% is healed. Logically going until completely healed is probably better. And the vet in me would say 48 hours beyond clinical signs are gone (fully healed). That's what we'd do for other animal infections.
It's a crapshoot with the stress. I'd expect if you stopped early and restarted if you saw any relapse you wouldn't get any major resistances in that short of a time period.
Wordy answer of "I don't know":D

Yeah, pretty much what I thinking, but the answer I didn't want haha. I wanted easy! Got another weeks worth of enrofloxacin today, so will carry on.

OP
OP
cmcoker

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
354fec2d8ea96b65f21ed40846400ba8.jpg

Not the best pic but today is the top and bottom is 4/20

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good! I may have to experiment with enrofloxacin down the road.

OP
OP
cmcoker

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So update, yesterday noticed the spot on ventral side of tail, today noticed a white spot on the body! Ugh.
It's right under the dorsal fin, midway midway along the fin.
Hoping it's not what I think it is... ideas?

Still eating, swimming about, tail continues to improve

be0f1f0b6411f50db3a65e68b52464df.jpg

773be82738126028999f25f942052202.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cmcoker Might just be Lympho (or possibly the bacterial disease spreading.) I would give it a couple days before assuming ich, etc.

OP
OP
cmcoker

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cmcoker Might just be Lympho (or possibly the bacterial disease spreading.) I would give it a couple days before assuming ich, etc.
That's what I'm hoping, but also dreading it's ich or something.
Not jumping the gun yet, but thinking if it's ich I will do TTM this time... need to mentally prepare haha.
Good thing is my last final exam is Tuesday so I will have more time to deal with this fish.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I'm hoping, but also dreading it's ich or something.
Not jumping the gun yet, but thinking if it's ich I will do TTM this time... need to mentally prepare haha.
Good thing is my last final exam is Tuesday so I will have more time to deal with this fish.

Didn't you already treat him with copper? For how long?

OP
OP
cmcoker

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't you already treat him with copper? For how long?
Yep, 30 days at 2.0ppm Coppersafe. I tested the level regularly although i will admit I probably missed a couple days of testing the level somewhere in there, but I never saw a drop below 2.0 and always added copper to the water for water changes first and always tested when doing water changes.

OP
OP
cmcoker

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So slightly strange, both white spots are gone after the enrofloxacin bath tonight...
I'm giving his treatment bucket a good drying period and the powerhead and pvc are getting a bleach treatment now..just in case.

OP
OP
cmcoker

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So final update, hopefully. I continued enrofloxacin baths for 21 days, after the white spots I bumped the dose to 4mg/L . He was just getting too stressed to continue.

I transferred him into the DT Sunday night, spent about 24 hours in an acclimation box. The clowns didn't show any interest so I released him. I'm the clowns decided they would chase him into the corner today, so they are in timeout for a couple days.

98f89fff9c101dccf4485aa97e3041a8.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 83 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back