Want to buy this fish, but should I?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So fin rot is not better, actually looks worse... Should I switch meds? @Humblefish

Just double checking ... You treated with Kanaplex + Furan-2 + Metroplex for at least 10 consecutive days? And the fin rot actually looks worse? :confused:

OP
OP
cmcoker

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just double checking ... You treated with Kanaplex + Furan-2 + Metroplex for at least 10 consecutive days? And the fin rot actually looks worse? :confused:
I had a break, ran out of meds and salt [emoji53] but am on day 8 of continuous treatment with Kanaplex, furan2 and metroplex. Noticed yesterday an area of the tail looked whitish, today its gone. See if I can get a pic, he goes nuts when he sees me, he's a pig... Fish is acting totally fine otherwise..

OP
OP
cmcoker

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a pic I pulled from a video.
668931df7aab2e085c89c19b42593354.jpg

The dorsal area of the tail is what's worse/new. The ventral side looks the same, no worse.
It's the tail that is most affected, but also his dorsal fin filaments are damaged.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a break, ran out of meds and salt [emoji53] but am on day 8 of continuous treatment with Kanaplex, furan2 and metroplex. Noticed yesterday an area of the tail looked whitish, today its gone. See if I can get a pic, he goes nuts when he sees me, he's a pig... Fish is acting totally fine otherwise..

He's already been dewormed with Prazipro, correct? No scratching, yawning or head twitching?

OP
OP
cmcoker

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has two rounds of general cure. I have not noted any head shaking or that since. Also had 10 days of oral metroplex for white stringy poop, which seems to have resolved...

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much of a "break" did he get with the antibiotics?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That could have been long enough to allow the infection to make a come back. What antibiotics do you have on hand to make another 10 day run? The only alternative is to switch over to a natural remedy, like Melafix. An acriflavine bath might help, but I doubt it will knock this out 100%.

OP
OP
cmcoker

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the pet store on the corner has triple sulfa, erythromycin and something else. I'm in dfw and can probably track anything down, I don't have acriflavine and could probably order online or something, but my wife would not be happy if I spent 50 on reef rally locally.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the pet store on the corner has triple sulfa, erythromycin and something else. I'm in dfw and can probably track anything down, I don't have acriflavine and could probably order online or something, but my wife would not be happy if I spent 50 on reef rally locally.

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably go with Triple Sulfa next. Completely different antibiotics than you have been using. Or roll the dice on Melafix (Petco/smart sells it).

OP
OP
cmcoker

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were in your shoes, I'd probably go with Triple Sulfa next. Completely different antibiotics than you have been using. Or roll the dice on Melafix (Petco/smart sells it).
Ok, ill pick some up tomorrow.
Have you ever used api fungus cure in saltwater fish? It has 30mg of acriflavine and 3mg Victoria Green B. It's only labeled freshwater and not sure on the Victoria green b. Just wondering for future acriflavine needs

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, ill pick some up tomorrow.
Have you ever used api fungus cure in saltwater fish? It has 30mg of acriflavine and 3mg Victoria Green B. It's only labeled freshwater and not sure on the Victoria green b. Just wondering for future acriflavine needs

Never tried that particular product before. But I did see one time where someone dosed it in their DT and it bleached some of their corals. Either the acriflavine or malachite green probably killed the zooxanthellae. :eek:

OP
OP
cmcoker

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never tried that particular product before. But I did see one time where someone dosed it in their DT and it bleached some of their corals. Either the acriflavine or malachite green probably killed the zooxanthellae. :eek:
Hmm, I was just thinking of using it as a dip when acriflavine is needed. It's pretty widely available, have seen it at petsmart or Co, they had it at pet supplies plus as well..

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but my wife would not be happy if I spent 50 on reef rally locally.

I would send you with enough for one bath. I keep it in the store for when I purchase clowns. If your interested, I'll be at the store for a couple hours today putting up corals.

OP
OP
cmcoker

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would send you with enough for one bath. I keep it in the store for when I purchase clowns. If your interested, I'll be at the store for a couple hours today putting up corals.
If y'all think it will benefit him then absolutely, and I certainly would be happy to pay for that amount. I just haven't found the small container of rally local, everyone seems to only stock the giant bottle.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If y'all think it will benefit him then absolutely, and I certainly would be happy to pay for that amount. I just haven't found the small container of rally local, everyone seems to only stock the giant bottle.

Acriflavine is an antiseptic, so it's certainly worth a shot IMO.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back