OP
lpsouth1978

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the saga continues!! My Waterbox has been through a lot in it's first year of existence. It started as a Discus tank, but I couldn't keep up with the daily water changes and maintenance requirements. Then it was a FOWLR tank with plans to make it a reef, but I couldn't stomach the cost of the required equipment to make the conversion. Right now it is a freshwater community, but that is about to change!

The tank is finally going to be what it should have been from the start. I have been working on accumulating gear and reef related goods and just ordered the last of the things I need to get this set up as the reef tank it should have been all along. Here is what I have (or plan to have):

- Waterbox 230.6 - have
- Stock Waterbox sump - have
- Jebao DCP 13000 return pump - have + extra for backup
- 5 x AI Hydra 26 HD - have
- HMS Multi light rail - ordered
-4 x Vortec MP40's - have 3, need 1
-120 pounds - Life Reef Rock - ordered (also have about 80 lbs in the 75 and will be moved in to this tank)
- 200 pounds aragonite sand - ordered
- Simplicity 320DC Skimmer - ordered
- DD Jumpguard screen top - ordered
- BRS Dual canister Media Reactor - have
- Klir DI-7 Filter floss roller - need

I will be moving everything from my 75 into this system. this will include:

Pair of Spotcinctus Clowns
Yellow Tang
Melanarus Wrasse
Tobacco Bass
Lawnmower Blenny
Banded Sleeper Goby
4 x Lyretail Anthias - 1 male, 3 female
4 x Haddoni Carpet anemones
3 x RBTA
Lots of corals, mostly LPS, Zoas, and a few SPS
An assortment of snails and crabs
A Serpent Starfish
2 x Peppermint Shrimp

The build will be happening over the next couple of weeks and will start this weekend with removing the current freshwater fish and cleaning the tank and sump. Next week, I will hopefully have the rock and will start working on the scape and get the sand in the tank. I will keep this thread updated with my progress.

Last edited:

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excited that I caught this early on. Great looking build so far and nice work.keeping up on the items list! Following along :)

OP
OP
lpsouth1978

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excited that I caught this early on. Great looking build so far and nice work.keeping up on the items list! Following along :)

Thanks. I have got the tank mostly cleaned out. I still need to clean out the sump, but that should not take long. At this point I will be in a holding pattern until my rock arrives. 40 pounds has shipped and will be here tomorrow, but the other 80 has yet to ship. The sand will also be here tomorrow, but it won't go in until the scape is done.

I also picked up MP40 #3 yesterday. Now I just need a few weeks to get the last MP40 and the Klir filter roller. Once the rock gets here, things should start moving quickly (I am only working 6 hours a week right now, so I have A LOT of time to work on it).

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to admit I've gotten a ton done on my reef during the chaos. Looking forward to the progress bud.

Stay salty!

OP
OP
lpsouth1978

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the tank and sump completely cleaned out today. The tank is now ready for me to start scaping. The only problem is that I have no idea when the rock will be here. I just received 200 pounds of sand today, but cant put it in until the rock is in. More waiting..... :(

2020-04-17_04-10-44 by Lyle Southard, on Flickr

OP
OP
lpsouth1978

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let there be water!

I finally got the rest of the rock yesterday, so I was able get some scaping done. Once the rock was in I rinsed the sand and got it in the tank. I actually ordered 200 pounds of sand, but ended up using only 120. Finally, I started filling the tank. I have a 400gpd RODI system, so it should be done this afternoon.

I have also completed the screen top and got the HMS multi light rail on the tank. Right now there are only 3 Hydras on it because the other 2 are still in use on the 75. I did however put the light mounts on the rail so I just have to screw the other the lights to the mounts. I am VERY happy I chose the DD Jumpguard screen top! This thing is so low profile and just looks so good. Even better than the Octolid I had on there before.

Here are a couple pics up to this point. Keep in mind that the scape is not complete. I have another ~70 pounds of rock in the 75 that will be transferred to the tank (hopefully this weekend).

20200422_175129 by Lyle Southard, on Flickr

20200423_071647 by Lyle Southard, on Flickr

OP
OP
lpsouth1978

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is up and running officially! Finished filling the tank this afternoon, added salt, and got the tank, lights, skimmer, heaters, ATO, return pump, and an MP40 running. I will test parameters tomorrow and dose as needed to match the 75g. Hopefully I will have a chance to move everything from the 75 this weekend. I will keep you all updated!

2020-04-23_10-56-58 by Lyle Southard, on Flickr

OP
OP
lpsouth1978

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, today was a bit more busy than I had planned. I got the tank parameters to match my 75 and figured I would start moving some of the rock over to the new tank so I could have the scape basically ready to move everything over tomorrow.

I'm sure you already know how that turned out... Everything has been moved from the 75 and is settling in well so far. I even got the last of the Hydras mounted and moved the other two MP40s. I still have to work on organizing all of the wires for the MP40s and Hydras. I also need to get everything on smart switches and get them programmed to work with my Google assistant.

The next big project will be to clean the 75 and decide whether I am going to put it in storage or sell it to finance additional livestock for the Waterbox.

Here are a couple of pics. One of the Waterbox, and one of the 75g, as they sit now. I still have the 75g running because I don't want to clean it right now and I don't want it to become a stinky cesspool!

2020-04-24_06-21-47 by Lyle Southard, on Flickr

20200424_183102 by Lyle Southard, on Flickr

OP
OP
lpsouth1978

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help me decide what fish to add to this system. I am not wanting add a ton of fish, but the tank seems really empty with the ones that are in there now. I would like active fish that add more movement to the tank. All I can come up with are 1 or 2 Tangs and some Wrasses. I want to keep this tank as peaceful as possible, so I was thinking maybe a Kole tang, and a handful of fairy and flasher Wrasses. Any other thoughts or suggestions?

My current stock list:

Pair of Spotcinctus Clowns
Yellow Tang
Melanarus Wrasse
Tobacco Bass
Lawnmower Blenny
Banded Sleeper Goby
4 x Lyretail Anthias - 1 male, 3 female
4 x Haddoni Carpet anemones
3 x RBTA
Lots of corals, mostly LPS, Zoas, and a few SPS
An assortment of snails and crabs
A Serpent Starfish
2 x Peppermint Shrimp

OP
OP
lpsouth1978

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are still plugging along nicely. Unfortunately, I have not added any new corals to the tank. It turns out that it is difficult to find nice pieces these days. Hopefully things will start to get back to normal soon and corals will start to make it to LFS's again.

I did add some wrasses, 6 to be exact. These include Carpenter's Flasher, Whip Fin Fairy, 2 x Lubbocks Fairy, Blueside Fairy, and Basket Wrasse. Everyone seems to be getting along well and are getting comfortable in their new digs.

The only other update is that I received my Klir DI-7 Filter Fleece Roller today. Unfortunately it has the original 3 RPM motor instead of the new 11 RPM motor. I sent an email to Coralvue immediately and am awaiting their response. It is a bummer!! I was looking forward to getting it on the tank, but I will have to wait a while longer. It is hard to believe that there are still units on the shelves with the old motors. They updated them a year ago, maybe even before that. Hopefully they get the replacement out quickly.

I will update pics soon, so keep posted.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back