OP
OP
P

Pufferlover95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting my Reefmat in the first chamber this week. How’s that rearranged setup working for yours?
So it works, it’s just not the pretty setup I imagined, lol. Half the water seems to go to the roller mat, and the rest seems to go the traditional way and hit the turf scrubber first.
IMG_4611.jpeg

OP
OP
P

Pufferlover95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 4/20/24:
At the end of March, I installed a sulfur denitrator (sulfur reactor) as a last resort for nitrate control. This being a predator tank, my nitrates were always elevated in the 60s or 70s and nothing I was doing was able to reduce them long-term. I tried carbon dosing for a bit as well as adding a turf scrubber and nothing seemed to help lower them. Large water changes were a hassle and expensive on a tank this size and only worked for a few days before going right back up. That’s when I discovered this sulfur rector available on BRS:
IMG_4613.jpeg

IMG_4079.jpeg

It was easy to install and I attached it to an extra port off the return manifold.
IMG_4612.jpeg

After just a few weeks of running it, my nitrates have dropped SIGNIFICANTLY!
IMG_4609.png
IMG_4610.png

This thing is a beast and requires virtually 0 maintenance. All I did was add the sulfur and some calcium media in the beginning and let it run. I WILL need to make some adjustments shortly or else I will bottom out my nitrates (something I never thought I’d say).

**Now full disclosure, I also went fallow on 3/8/24 due to an ich outbreak following the addition of a new fish, so the tank has been fishless, foodless, and dark while still running the protein skimmer and roller in addition to the reactor.**

It’s almost time to return the fish to the display tank so I’m curious to see how the reactor will handle a “real” bioload. So far I am loving this reactor and would recommend it to anyone struggling with high nitrates.

More to come!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back