Webcam Inquiry - Suggestions Needed

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to go on a trip this fall & am interested in a webcam for my tank. A friend will check on/feed my fish every other day. But I also want some webcam ( “budget friendly” )that could link to my android phone and my ipad. I want to be able to view my Display tank (to check on my fish) & my equipment (sump, return pump...) directly under the tank.

Any suggestions? Links would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How much are you looking to spend?

Andre Arnold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using the Amcrest ProHD Shield.. I got it a week ago off Amazon for $50. It was easy to setup and has it's own app. They have newer versions than this one for a little more, but they are still under $100

Jet915

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going on vacation next month so I just got a wansview q3s. I just set it up, very easy out of the box, took about 10 minutes. 50 bucks on Amazon.

20180808_195831.jpg

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the YI cam from amazon. I think around $40 on amazon deal of the day.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CW4BN5M/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The current price is $57.99 but has a 10% off coupon.

It can hold an SD card that can store 24x7 video for about 6 days on a 64GB card. Handy if you want to check if the feeder worked earlier in the day.
don't bother with webcam resolution higher than 1080p, as those will just get you less recorded video on the memory card and it is not optimal to view higher resolution video on a smart phone.

Buy using amazon prime. if you don't like it, you can easily return it.

OP
OP
Eva Rose

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the YI cam from amazon. I think around $40 on amazon deal of the day.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CW4BN5M/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The current price is $57.99 but has a 10% off coupon.

It can hold an SD card that can store 24x7 video for about 6 days on a 64GB card. Handy if you want to check if the feeder worked earlier in the day.
don't bother with webcam resolution higher than 1080p, as those will just get you less recorded video on the memory card and it is not optimal to view higher resolution video on a smart phone.

Buy using amazon prime. if you don't like it, you can easily return it.
Thanks!

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the WYZE cam ( actually purchased 3) from Amazon, great little camera $25.00 a piece , easy to set up and really easy app. To download.

OP
OP
Eva Rose

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the WYZE cam ( actually purchased 3) from Amazon, great little camera $25.00 a piece , easy to set up and really easy app. To download.
Great! That sounds awesome. The webcam will give me peace if mind while I'm away. My LED tank lights look like they are going to need replacing, so even dollar saved helps!

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the Dlink Pan & Tilt Cameras for years. Both for Home Security and watching my Tanks and Sump room.
Both under $100, and sometime much less on sale.

There is a 720p version
https://www.amazon.com/D-Link-Full-Tilt-Security-Camera/dp/B00PVD31K2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1536810001&sr=8-3&keywords=dlink+pan+and+tilt
You can get this one cheaper when on sale.

and a 1080p version
https://www.amazon.com/D-Link-Full-Tilt-Security-Camera/dp/B00PVD31K2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1536810205&sr=8-3&keywords=dlink+pan+and+tilt

I like these since they have some smarts in them (Standalone), and you can setup some great functionality.

-> Dlink Provides a Reliable App (Andriod/Apple), and Web Portal (MS WINDOWS) (World Wide Web Site for access, or Local on your LAN Wifi)
-----------> I like that I can access it from any Computer BROWSER, not just Apps on Phones/tablets.
-> Wifi and Hard Wire Ethernet
-> It can be setup to Store Images/Video on your PC or Fileserver Automatically by triggers or schedule. (without the use of DLINK service)
-> Night Vision (B&W in Total Darkness) or Color (Daylight)
-> Remote controlling to see 360 around, and UP/DOWN (which allows me to look around basement area, sumproom, and tank)
-> Features like Zone Motion Detection with a (snap photo or quick short video) to your own PC for file server
-> Sound Detection trigger
-> The Lense has MANUAL focus for far or closeup. But generally works fine in medium range.
-> Scheduled regular time interval photos (great for Timelapse videos)

I actually prefer the 720p version for watching tank and sumps since less data streamed to your phone, and less choppy than higher res version.
But the higher res version gives you more flexibility for hobby photo work. High res also has a SD card slot so you can record things even if all Networks go down.

There could be better or cheaper versions these days, (the Wansviews looks promising, but I couldn't find the Viewing Portal on their website)...And after reading more you need the APP. So this means you can't go into a Hotel Lobby/Library with Computer/ use anyone's phone etc and use it to view your camera (like you can with Dlink Portal)

These have been very reliable for me (indoor/outdoor), and Dlink's Portal Service is always up and available (which is important for peace of mind)

This is Dlink Portal
https://mydlink.com

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eva Rose

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the Dlink Pan & Tilt Cameras for years. Both for Home Security and watching my Tanks and Sump room.
Both under $100, and sometime much less on sale.

There is a 720p version
https://www.amazon.com/D-Link-Full-Tilt-Security-Camera/dp/B00PVD31K2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1536810001&sr=8-3&keywords=dlink+pan+and+tilt
You can get this one cheaper when on sale.

and a 1080p version
https://www.amazon.com/D-Link-Full-Tilt-Security-Camera/dp/B00PVD31K2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1536810205&sr=8-3&keywords=dlink+pan+and+tilt

I like these since they have some smarts in them (Standalone), and you can setup some great functionality.

-> Dlink Provides a Reliable App (Andriod/Apple), and Web Portal (MS WINDOWS) (World Wide Web Site for access, or Local on your LAN Wifi)
-----------> I like that I can access it from any Computer BROWSER, not just Apps on Phones/tablets.
-> Wifi and Hard Wire Ethernet
-> It can be setup to Store Images/Video on your PC or Fileserver Automatically by triggers or schedule. (without the use of DLINK service)
-> Night Vision (B&W in Total Darkness) or Color (Daylight)
-> Remote controlling to see 360 around, and UP/DOWN (which allows me to look around basement area, sumproom, and tank)
-> Features like Zone Motion Detection with a (snap photo or quick short video) to your own PC for file server
-> Sound Detection trigger
-> The Lense has MANUAL focus for far or closeup. But generally works fine in medium range.
-> Scheduled regular time interval photos (great for Timelapse videos)

I actually prefer the 720p version for watching tank and sumps since less data streamed to your phone, and less choppy than higher res version.
But the higher res version gives you more flexibility for hobby photo work. High res also has a SD card slot so you can record things even if all Networks go down.

There could be better or cheaper versions these days, (the Wansviews looks promising, but I couldn't find the Viewing Portal on their website)...And after reading more you need the APP. So this means you can't go into a Hotel Lobby/Library with Computer/ use anyone's phone etc and use it to view your camera (like you can with Dlink Portal)

These have been very reliable for me (indoor/outdoor), and Dlink's Portal Service is always up and available (which is important for peace of mind)

This is Dlink Portal
https://mydlink.com
Great info - thanks so much! I have not made a purchase yet so I will check these out!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 95 44.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 72 33.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 34 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back