OP
michelleb

michelleb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding a power head would create better flow throughout the tank, I’d suggest getting more live rock to create some hiding spots or homes for your fish. Parameters would be something like
Salinity
Temp
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Phosphates
Cal
Mag
Alk
You don’t have any corals so a simple sea salt mix would do the job with basic Water changes tank should be good. Also the power head would help with cleaning all the gunk off the floor bed keeping it a lot cleaner not allowing for any phosphates or nitrates to build up fish can handle a good amount until it becomes toxic.
Ahhhhh ok! Thanks so my salínity is at 22? (1.01)….temp is at 80….other than that I don’t check the other stuff…but maybe I can get a kit to check it? I just did a water change last Sunday

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 10

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Essentially I want it facing mainly upward? And if I do get one with different settings am I going to want it on all the time? Just change the setting when I feed them? I’m guessing it slows it down
If you point it mainly upward it will spray water all over your floor!!!

I point mine slightly upward so it does not blow the sand around too much. One's with a controller typically have a "feed" button that will turn it off for 10 minutes.

There are different settings for intensity and pulsing. Play around with it until you get the effect you want. Yes, run it all the time (except when you feed).

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhhhh ok! Thanks so my salínity is at 22? (1.01)….temp is at 80….other than that I don’t check the other stuff…but maybe I can get a kit to check it? I just did a water change last Sunday
You want salinity at 1.026 and temp 76 to 78. Take water sample to LFS. Have them check everything for you. Get powerhead and place it 3 inches below the surface with moderate flow settings.

zoanthony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity looks a bit low I’d suggest something between 1.024-1.026 and for temp anywhere from 75-80f is fine. Salifert has some good testing kits or get an api full test kit to get somewhat of an idea.

OP
OP
michelleb

michelleb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity looks a bit low I’d suggest something between 1.024-1.026 and for temp anywhere from 75-80f is fine. Salifert has some good testing kits or get an api full test kit to get somewhat of an idea.
Thanks everybody has been super helpful! I’m going to make those changes and get more rock and see how the tank does :)

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure what the catfish are, but they don’t seem to go together with the clownfish. They seem large for two in a small tank and look like aggressive swimmers. Any more detail on them?

Clownfish notoriously host a tank corner. This is normal.

I’d place a lot more rock. At least twice as much. Build it up. See if you can create a racetrack layout so the fish can swim around the perimeter or through the middle in a figure 8 type of arrangement. This will allow multiple swimming paths for those catfish. But again, I feel they just don’t go, they may be too big and active, and may put a lot of waste in the system.

I also find the majority of my fish hang out on the right side of my tank all the time. Why? Because my current takes the food there.

So adjusting where food goes could help move them around the tank as well.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am i the only one that notices what looks like 2 catfishes? in the background?

catfish.JPG

if those are catfish... im wondering how you got them to acclimate to salt water, or if your tank is even salt water and the clown is stressed because of hyposalinity.

Also that clown is stressed because it knows its going to be a meal soon to those catfish, as those catfish are probably scoping out that clown to try to eat it.

Those are catfishes...

Your clown is stressed because of hyposalinity, and also because those catfishes WILL EAT that clown.
So the clown is trying to run and hide, and those catfishes are trying to jump and eat that clown.

You mixed 2 completely different species, unless they are salt water catfishes, which i have never seen.

What are those 2 fishes in the background.
Your LFS really botched this if they sold you all 3 of those fishes.

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh A-are those gaftopsail catfish? Did you catch them or did someone actually sell those? They tend to school like that. Also, they will absolutely eat that clown and get 40+"

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am i the only one that notices what looks like 2 catfishes? in the background?

catfish.JPG

if those are catfish... im wondering how you got them to acclimate to salt water, or if your tank is even salt water and the clown is stressed because of hyposalinity.

Also that clown is stressed because it knows its going to be a meal soon to those catfish, as those catfish are probably scoping out that clown to try to eat it.

Those are catfishes...

Your clown is stressed because of hyposalinity, and also because those catfishes WILL EAT that clown.
So the clown is trying to run and hide, and those catfishes are trying to jump and eat that clown.

You mixed 2 completely different species, unless they are salt water catfishes, which i have never seen.

What are those 2 fishes in the background.
Your LFS really botched this if they sold you all 3 of those fishes.
There are plenty of catfish in the gulf and atlantic lagoons in florida. They taste awful but put up a decent fight on light tackle. You are right though they get large and nemo is definitely on the menu.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are plenty of catfish in the gulf and atlantic lagoons in florida. They taste awful but put up a decent fight on light tackle. You are right though they get large and nemo is definitely on the menu.

Yup googling that name you gave i see they are brackish water catfish.

The only time i really see catfish is when they are battered up fried, and served with french fries.
Oh and when they are shown on the King of DIY's monster tank, but those are the red tail ones which i know are freshwater.

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh A-are those gaftopsail catfish? Did you catch them or did someone actually sell those? They tend to school like that. Also, they will absolutely eat that clown and get 40+"
I just need to reemphasize this. This might be the strangest thing Ive ever seen in a fish tank.

OP
OP
michelleb

michelleb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup googling that name you gave i see they are brackish water catfish.

The only time i really see catfish is when they are battered up fried, and served with french fries.
Oh and when they are shown on the King of DIY's monster tank, but those are the red tail ones which i know are freshwater.
So I looked them up and I saw columbinan catfish. They have a bunch in the store and all in saltwater not fresh. So I picked two up and brought them home. They don’t attack the clown.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP you need to remove the catfish and take them back where you got them. Then correct your salinity and make the other recommended changes if you want your clown to survive.

OP
OP
michelleb

michelleb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys relax just looking for advice. Yes they are catfish. Found in the local store in saltwater. I had two other ones before and they’ve never done anything to any other fish. They get plenty food and they never do anything to the clown.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys relax just looking for advice. Yes they are catfish. Found in the local store in saltwater. I had two other ones before and they’ve never done anything to any other fish. They get plenty food and they never do anything to the clown.
They grow to 13 inches per your post.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Catfish eat other fishes.
They will eat that clown.

I have no idea who told you that they wouldn't.

I even had a pictus cat, a small one rip though an entire neon tetra school, because my cousin's daughter thought the catfish was cute.

Also it says they are brackish / freshwater species, living in coastal waters.

That clown is a full on saltwater fish, not brackish.
Yes there are some exceptions to brackish tollerating saltwater settings, but typically ive only seen that in completely acclimated mollies, otherwise everyone would have pea puffers in there salt water tank, as they are super cute.

Also id say that clown is almost done, or close to done, if its been in hypo salinity that long.
Salt water fish do not like being in near freshwater conditions for long periods of time other then to dip for external paracites.

Yes I’m seeing that. So I’m glad I posted here looking for advice not a beat down of what I have in the tank.

We are trying to give advice... were telling you, your ooof'd your husbandry, and water chemistry, which is basically the entire tank, and need an immediate correction right away.

But if you don't want to listen, then so be it.

My initial diagnosis, is your clown will either get eatten or be dead within the next few days, as those catfish in that video are stalking the clown, and wondering if its something they can eat, as they have never seen a clown before.

But that large one is perfectly able to eat it.

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically a south american version of gaftops that get 20" instead of 40". Nemo is still on the menu once he fits in their mouths

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I’m seeing that. So I’m glad I posted here looking for advice not a beat down of what I have in the tank.
No one is giving you a beat down. You asked why your fish look stressed, well the reason is 2 of them are in water of higher salinity than they should be and the other one is a prey item to the first two. Fish stores are notorious for lacking any and all ethics, no one is faulting you for being lied to.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back