What 4ft tank would you buy: RSR 425 XL, IM INT 100, WB 105.4 or CD Pro 100?

jmsilhy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you decide what to go for? I'm in the same situation right now and would like to read your experience. Thanks!

OP
OP
CoralDanimal

CoralDanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you decide what to go for? I'm in the same situation right now and would like to read your experience. Thanks!

The Red Sea Reefer XL 425 is currently out of stock, but once they're back in that's what I'm planning to order. It's not perfect, but the dimensions are pretty close to what I'm looking for, the price is very reasonable, and I've already had two RSR tanks so I trust the quality.

If there was a viable white stand option for the IMT 100, I'd definitely consider it.
If the WB 105.4 was closer to 18" or 20" tall, I'd definitely consider it.

Are there any tanks you're considering that I didn't list?

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I have 3 red sea tanks and would never buy another. I have a Max nano, reefer 170, reefer 350. The stands are 100% complete garbage of slightly better quality than Ikea with the same fasteners. They are poorly designed with the top panel BETWEEN the side panels, supported by plastic dowels and steel cam lock pins in the particle board, not strong at all for huge amount of weight. Red sea put no thought into how people would level the stand, there is no way to shim the middle of the sump divider chamber which is a crucial support for the weak stands. I do like the tank itself though, except the metric plumbing.

I've seen numerous waterbox tanks at local stores and the silicone seams are poorly done compared to red sea, the stands appear better though, although I have never assembled one.

If I were to ever get another tank I would go planet or one of the other big name AMERICAN makers and a custom stand, or if I could do it all over go that route from the beginning.

Just my $ .02

jmsilhy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Red Sea Reefer XL 425 is currently out of stock, but once they're back in that's what I'm planning to order. It's not perfect, but the dimensions are pretty close to what I'm looking for, the price is very reasonable, and I've already had two RSR tanks so I trust the quality.

If there was a viable white stand option for the IMT 100, I'd definitely consider it.
If the WB 105.4 was closer to 18" or 20" tall, I'd definitely consider it.

Are there any tanks you're considering that I didn't list?

As of right now, I’m kind of leaning towards the Planet’s Crystaline, the same size as you but with 20” depth because it fits my spot better. I really like the premium’s overflow, I think it gives a lot of room for aquascaping...

Reeffragger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the thouands of dollars these tanks cost.. for only 4ft sub 100 gallon tanks.. Id pass on all of them.. for 2.3k$ i could buy a 300 gallon 8 foot tank and go snorkling in my reef...

Just saying

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i bought the IM 100 EXT a bit ago and still working on setting it up, but it seems really nice so far. they're doing a 15% off sale right now.

the stand.. can't help on the color but the aluminum they use is pretty cool, super lightweight yet super sturdy. they even tossed in a shelf for free on mine which seems like it'll be quite useful. if you wait a couple years i'll let you know how it goes running an actual tank with it :)

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of right now, I’m kind of leaning towards the Planet’s Crystaline, the same size as you but with 20” depth because it fits my spot better. I really like the premium’s overflow, I think it gives a lot of room for aquascaping...
Word of warning if Planet is still using the Tideline external overflow box. It's extremely hard to keep quiet. The way it's designed the external box is lower than the internal so you end up with a loud waterfall noise. I had to set my drain pipes as high as possible to get the water in the external box to about 1/4" from the top and still had issues with noise. I ended up replacing it with an Exotic Marine overflow.

jmsilhy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the thouands of dollars these tanks cost.. for only 4ft sub 100 gallon tanks.. Id pass on all of them.. for 2.3k$ i could buy a 300 gallon 8 foot tank and go snorkling in my reef...

Just saying
The thing I personally like about these systems is the sleek and modern look of the whole setup, but I’m open to suggestions. Not to hijack the thread but if you wanted to achieve a similar look on a 100g, which way would you go? (In other words, do you have recommendations on rimless tank, sump, stand, etc. that could be put together like that?) Thanks!

jmsilhy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Word of warning if Planet is still using the Tideline external overflow box. It's extremely hard to keep quiet. The way it's designed the external box is lower than the internal so you end up with a loud waterfall noise. I had to set my drain pipes as high as possible to get the water in the external box to about 1/4" from the top and still had issues with noise. I ended up replacing it with an Exotic Marine overflow.
Yes, second time I read about this and to be considered, thanks.

Reeffragger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing I personally like about these systems is the sleek and modern look of the whole setup, but I’m open to suggestions. Not to hijack the thread but if you wanted to achieve a similar look on a 100g, which way would you go? (In other words, do you have recommendations on rimless tank, sump, stand, etc. that could be put together like that?) Thanks!

I hear you on thr (modern) look and seems look.. But i prefer gallons and sizes vs if it has wood trim or no sump. My 135g has no sump btw. But alas i use HOBS but i dont care, its all covered by my hood anyway.

Its like cars. I drive a 31 Year old Jeep Wagoneer. It drives.. looks good but has no computers or nothing. Why waste money on a new car when you can save money on a older car no payment. No property taxes.. car insurance is low.. gas mileage sucks but id rather pay 10mpg then 40k for a new car thatd take 10-15 years to save 1 penny over my vehicle.

This plays into fish tanks too.. I paid 140$ for my 135g and its pine stand. The stand wasnt even used.. and the tank has no center braces due to it being built in 1982 and thick glaas. Just has trim around the top.

The 2200$ i saved over a rimless tank i used for lights. Rock. Sand. Fish corals ect.. it all comes to personal preference of course

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent some time on Planet's website after your recommendation and found a 48x24x21 tank (better dimensions than the RSR 425) on a white, modern stand. What I really like about this route is I could do a matching hood which would allow me to not need a mesh lid + I could add fans into the hood to prevent having to add a chiller.
Something to consider with Planet Aquarium is the beautiful real wood stand options, the far superior sump system on their Premium Reef, and the external overflow. Truly custom level stuff there for about the same as Red Sea and Waterbox. Seriously, sumps are something worth paying attention to, especially if you intend to run a refugium.

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at red sea and went with a standard 120, 4x2x2, corner overflow. 40 breeder sump and steel, no center support stand.
Saved alot of cash for equipment.
Either way get the one that makes you happy.
I almost purchased the red sea, just did not want the center overflow.
Hello,
I am curious why you wanted a corner vs the center overflow? I am considering a different tank, just to get the center overflow.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I am curious why you wanted a corner vs the center overflow? I am considering a different tank, just to get the center overflow.
Hard to service a center overflow no matter what anyone says.
Easy with overflow in the corner.
With a corner overflow you can make your tank a peninsula if you want.
Which is the one thing I wish I did.
Plus I have always had corner overflows since the 80's lol.
I just took this pic.
20200627_144918.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back