What are some Seahorse compatible fish?

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides pipe fish, what are some seahorse compatible fish?

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything that isn't aggressive and doesn't get big would seem like the best choice. I'd take a look into some pipefish to add to the tank. Those dragonface pipes I got have been a neat addition to my tank. Did you ever get any more info on that tunze skimmed that you wanted to DIY?

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'm looking for specific suggestions as I'm sure there are some fish I haven't thought of. I haven't gotten anywhere with the diy tunze yet but now that the tank has finally arrived I have to get going on it. I'm going to draw something up and post it to get some opinions on it before I start it. I have a good idea of how it should go together but I was really hoping someone who owned one would snap some detailed pics but I got nothing.

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen people add gobies and stuff like chromis. Look through some of the seahorse builds and I'm sure you'll see some good options.

As for the skimmer... I've got the body for a aquaC remora pro sitting around that you could have a try it out with a smaller pump if you're interested. May be too big, but the price is right if you want to give it a try. LMK

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would go some firefish and some green chromis, depending on budget some wrasse would be great. with seahorses you would need no aggressive fish and slow movers, as seahorses are slow movers and would starve if put in a competive tank with other faster swimming fish.just my opinion, good luck with your choice.
greg

rosebud161616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skip the pipefish. It's not a good idea to mix sygnathids. The chromis that have been suggested are generally OK when small but get a little mean when they get older. Firefish are good tank mates as has been suggested. There are a lot of other good options. Check out this article: seahorse.org - Tankmates

Some other suggestions:
Banggais
Mandarine
Clown Gobies
Neon Gobies
Gobies of all sorts

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about a catalina goby. They need cooler water so I figured they would do well with seahorses. agreed on the firefish. I'm only looking for one or two small fish so I want to be picky.

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Catalina gobies are beautiful fish, but prefer temp between 60 and 70 degrees. I looked into getting one and from what I found, they won't survive in higher temps for too long because they become less resistant to disease which usually leads to their demise.

rosebud161616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never heard this. why?

Each Species carries its own pathogens. The different species have never been introduced to the various pathogens before so they typically do not have immunities built up. It's kind of like what happened to the Native Americans when the settlers brought their diseases. That's not to say that pipefish and seahorses aren't found in the same waters, however in the ocean there is way more dilution and the 2 aren't typically found within ,say, 2' of each other for long periods of time if at all. In a closed tank you are exponentially increasing the reaction they will have on each other.

Some people have successfully mixed specifies but it's highly risky. It's highly suggested that only one species of sygnathid is kept in a tank at a time. It's also highly suggested that you're careful to not even mix equipment from one sygnathid tank to another such as a turkey baster, live rock, chaeto, etc. It's typically best left to the highly experienced who have weighed the risks before jumping in.

Billgax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like another strong argument for captive bred and raised specimens... and QT tanks. :)

rosebud161616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like another strong argument for captive bred and raised specimens... and QT tanks. :)

Absolutely! However that really doesn't change keeping different species together. Seahorse breeders generally keep their species completely separate, including equipment.

Speaking of, Gar what kind are you getting and where are you planning on getting them from?

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely! However that really doesn't change keeping different species together. Seahorse breeders generally keep their species completely separate, including equipment.

Speaking of, Gar what kind are you getting and where are you planning on getting them from?

I was planning on going with H. Erectus since they seem to be the hardiest. I was thinking of going with a couple ora ponies since I can get them locally, but if you've got another suggestion I'm all ears.

rosebud161616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ORA is a great place to get them and Erectus are a great choice! Seahorse Source is also a great place to get seahorses. I'm not sure what the going rate on ORA Erectus are at the moment, but I seem to think they were higher than I expected last time I looked. It might be just as cheap to get them from Seahorse Source with shipping and you won't be let down by the service. You can give them a call years down the line if you have any trouble with disease or just general questions. They are always willing to help!

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know, thanks! I've still got a ways to go before I actually get them. I just got my tank and it still has to cycle and all that good stuff so I've still got plenty of time to figure out the details. I can get the ORAs for $150/pr locally. I think that's about going rate.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 37 33.6%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 22 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back