OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Catalina gobies are beautiful fish, but prefer temp between 60 and 70 degrees. I looked into getting one and from what I found, they won't survive in higher temps for too long because they become less resistant to disease which usually leads to their demise.

Yes I read that too. I figure the upper range for the gobie and the lower range for the horses and everyone will be happy. I may pass on the catalina anyway since I probably won't find it local.

rosebud161616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seahorse Source has them for $65/ea so $130+shipping for the pair. So, they are about the same. ORA is a great choice, but I'm partial to the service that Seahorse Source provides. Just throwing that out there!

I should also mention that if you do go the ORA route, try to get the horses before they hit the LFS tanks. They are very susceptible to disease, so getting them straight from ORA to your tank is the safest!

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The guy at my lfs is awesome so I shouldn't have a problem picking them up before the go in their tanks. ORA lists two different H.erectus, the normal ones and ones that are selectively breed for color. I know they can change color depending on different variables but do you think it would be worth getting the colored ones? Not sure what the price difference is though.

rosebud161616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ORA is selling those pintos for like $1000/ea I think. Or maybe it was $1000/pair. I can't remember which now... If you really like that coloration, Seahorse Corral was breeding some and they were much cheaper. I think she has raised the prices since the whole ORA thing started but still quite a bit lower than ORA.

I had a couple of that coloration at one point. They were really awesome. And then once they were out of the bare bottom quarantine and in the main display they lost the coloration completely. Seahorses are really funny like that. Some many different things can cause them to change color. I'm up in the air if I would get them again. On one hand the coloration is awesome. On the other there is a high chance that they will change at some point in their life. Is it worth it to pay a little extra to take the risk that they might keep their coloration? I guess that's personal preference.

On another note, I have bought the "black" Erectus for a much cheaper price to have them color up into really beautiful seahorses. I think selling seahorses based on color is really silly. I can see how the pinto coloration can be sold differently since it is such a rare thing, but any other color is pretty silly.

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, didn't think they'd be that much! I guess I'm going with the regular ones.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're thinking about the ORAs, Joe had some in by the frag tanks when I was up at PC the other day.

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's where I was planning on getting them. Thats where the other half saw them and decided she wanted them.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gar - There are plenty of good fish suggestions so the only thing i wanna add is having a small number of fish...the less fish, the less seahorses have to compete for, food the better.

Diamondsinthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually had a tank with a deep sand bed and I had some garden eels with mine. Pretty cool actually that it worked. Anyways good luck with your selection.

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually had a tank with a deep sand bed and I had some garden eels with mine. Pretty cool actually that it worked. Anyways good luck with your selection.

That's pretty cool! I've heard garden eels can be tough to keep.

I keep gobies, mandarins and aiptaisia eating file fish in with mine. But keep in mind, all of these will eat fry if they are born......

I will most likely get two seahorses of the same sex since I'm not set up to raise fry. Aiptaisia eating flie fish huh, does it do a good job of eating aiptaisia?

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a pretty deep sand bed to keep garden eels... i have looked into it, but they are very cool. Also heard they tend to only eat food if it is floating by.

I would recommend any gobies or mandarins since you will be feeding picky eaters anyway. You haven't said if you would like to keep any gobies besides the catalina you mentioned. Is that an option?

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is technically the wife's tank so I figured I'd show her the options and let her decide. So far she like the catalina but I'm not sure I can keep it and the seahorses happy temp wise. The tank is a 28g jbj so we have to be picky since I figure no more than one or two small fish will fit. She also likes mandarins but not sure I can keep it well fed in a tank that small.

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I wouldn't put anything in with seahorses besides seahorses and pipefish. From my experience, seahorses are not aggressive feeders and are out competed for food by any other inhabitants except for obligigatory feeders like mandarins.

Billgax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I wouldn't put anything in with seahorses besides seahorses and pipefish. From my experience, seahorses are not aggressive feeders and are out competed for food by any other inhabitants except for obligigatory feeders like mandarins.

Yup... ditto.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 23 32.4%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 22.5%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 11 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.2%
Back