OP
OP
underwaterdan

underwaterdan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size clownfish? Must be like baby size. If so, there's a good chance it'll happen again. Put some sort of netting on overflow for time being until fish gets bigger or starts sleeping anywhere else but water surface
Yeah I got two real small ones, just to make sure the bio load wasn't too bad. Now I am thinking should have gotten bigger. Not sure what I'm gonna do tonight. Maybe turn off the return pump for the night....

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did your overflow come with sponges to prefilter the water before it goes into the sump? I have had fish spend a day or so in the overflow and be fine

OP
OP
underwaterdan

underwaterdan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did your overflow come with sponges to prefilter the water before it goes into the sump? I have had fish spend a day or so in the overflow and be fine
No sponges. I guess just being in the overflow isn't a big deal. Mine went through the plumbing and down into my sump filter sock. I'm gonna remove the filter socks for the night.

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I got two real small ones, just to make sure the bio load wasn't too bad. Now I am thinking should have gotten bigger. Not sure what I'm gonna do tonight. Maybe turn off the return pump for the night....
I was 1 of those that spent hours on a few forums and had read countless threads about someone's whole DT getting a disease, some diseases knocked whole tanks out. Well what did I do? Thought oh that won't happen to me. I didn't QT 2 fish and am on round 2 of 3 (1 extra can't hurt and will help ease my paranoia) of PraziPro that I'm doing to rid tank of flukes. No fun.
Get something to cover the overflow for a while because at some point especially in the beginning you may see something else you like that could easily fit down. Removing the filter socks would be a good idea until you come up with a solution you like.

OP
OP
underwaterdan

underwaterdan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got myself a nylon filter bag from the lfs gonna try and put that on the overflow..... We will see.

OP
OP
underwaterdan

underwaterdan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clipped it on with a large paper clip type thing. Between that and the suction of the overflow I think I've solved my problem.

OP
OP
underwaterdan

underwaterdan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... Like. Most of these fish emergency posts, unfortunately my clown didn't make it. He somehow found his way around my contraption and was in the sump again. I put him in the tank again and in about 3 minutes he was gone. Gone like I have no clue where he went. Not in the sump not floating, not sunk. I assume he made his way in a rock and died but I don't know. Today I replaced him with three others. As I was hoping two paired off and occupied one side of the tank and the other two did the other.

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is this tank? The pairing and occupying opposite sides is unlikely unless you have a huge tank. In the future give things time (2-3 days if not a week) to settle in because I bet he was stressed and found a nice hole to hide in. I'd remove the new ones. Btw QT, clowns are notorious for diseases that you don't want in your DT.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 18 16.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 74 67.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.6%
Back