What do you like most/least about your sump? What would you change?

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i made my own from a 20g long i have made a lot of them and over complicated them . on my new sump i kept it simple and ditch socks and went with filter fleece pads .

Dacotahk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea 650P and removed the sock area to add the Reefmat. I like that much better than the socks as I wasn’t as diligent at the upkeep. It gets a bit crowded and the refugium area is too open causing the weir between that and the skimmer section to clog. I’m considering adding a in tank refugium like CPR Aquatics makes. I agree with others that say simple is better. I manage any dosing manually and opt to keep the more forgiving livestock. My enjoyment of the tank is primary.

scrappy35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine came with my pro star 230, hated the design so I took out all the dividers and started over. I turn return pump off to feed. This will always raise the water level in skimmer chamber. I also hate socks, so I use filter floss changed once a week. I make my skimmer chamber high enough so water never fluctuates, but yet the sump still holds plenty of water for return to be turned off. Last pic is not mine, but a stock sump.

IMG_3166.jpeg IMG_3175.jpeg IMG_0007.png

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Raleigh, NC, United States, north carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two because I honestly don't know how people fit everything into one. I have a mat roller, which I loved initially, but now I hate it and have removed it. The first sump is a refugium with macroalgae, sponges, and bristle worms. The section sump is all mechanical filtration and dosing.

1714143404975.jpeg

1714143421296.jpeg

1714143440450.jpeg
was the bristleworms on purpose?

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Raleigh, NC, United States, north carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine came with my pro star 230, hated the design so I took out all the dividers and started over. I turn return pump off to feed. This will always raise the water level in skimmer chamber. I also hate socks, so I use filter floss changed once a week. I make my skimmer chamber high enough so water never fluctuates, but yet the sump still holds plenty of water for return to be turned off. Last pic is not mine, but a stock sump.

IMG_3166.jpeg IMG_3175.jpeg IMG_0007.png
i have the prostar 90 and i hate how they blocked my return chamber with the ATO. i have no room to put it anywhere else though...... but yea im not a huge fan. and i cant figure out how to detach the topoff chamber anyways.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 52 73.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 11.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back