What goes into the new tank first? Corals or Fish?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know there are several different theories on this, so I thought this might be an interesting discussion. What do you think should go into the new tank first? Corals or Fish? What's your reasoning for your position?

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what you mean by "new" tank. If the tank was started with live rock and sand from the ocean it probably does not matter whether you start with fish or coral. If the tank is started with dry rock and sterile sand then risk of a prolonged ugly stage is high so best to plan accordingly.

CoastalTownLayabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The size / volume of the tank determines best course IMO. Larger systems generally have more aggressive filtration, reef mats, skimmers, reactors etc. and will be more tolerant of a fish load first. Towards nano size systems I always go coral first. Plenty of ways to provide controlled food / nutrient input to coral these days rather than uneaten fish food or a fat clown laying cables.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what the masses like to do regarding stocking order of ops keeps the fish disease forum very, very very very busy for nine years.

cycling has advanced to the point no testing and no action and no thought is required to be cycled. it's not hard to tip some fritz cycling bac into the tank, add fish and go. that's no cycle violation, that's a keep the disease forum running for nine years type of move. the impacts are delayed just enough the masses don't have to care much, yet. wait till prices keep heading up, preservation will slowly become paramount, and that will change the popular answer to the question posed here.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
starting with fish means every addition of coral and cuc shell and wet items thereafter from a pet store breaks the disease protocol unless the person is running a dual system with a dedicated fallow receiving tank, restarted with each new group added.

few do that. starting with fish first nearly guarantees the keeper isn't following a dedicated disease control plan, so within 8 mos...

the length of the cycle has nothing to do with disease expression. you can't get less disease expression by taking months to cycle, fast cycles are not the cause.

specific fallow and quarantine preps are needed, especially in today's dry-start + bottle bac setups. its the only way to quell the currently unacceptable disease loss rate by month 8 in no-prep setups

A thread on this order of ops:

fish and the food they command plus bone white rocks plus bright light = months of new tank uglies

delayed fish/lower light with easier corals eating coral food first makes uglies easier to manage for sure

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I actually started with coral. I just didn't know it was a coral. Nobody corrected me when I called gsp a plant. Sad, but true.
Hey some of the masters start with coral! @Roberto Denadai is one I know starts with coral in all of his amazing tanks! So you're in good company.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fish duh! A “new tank” is never ready for coral first. And by new that does not mean you transferred anything from an old or established tank which has different chemistry and is able to sustain corals immediately.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fish duh! A “new tank” is never ready for coral first. And by new that does not mean you transferred anything from an old or established tank which has different chemistry and is able to sustain corals immediately.
Hehe! That is the conventional wisdom, but see my previous post. At least some reef hobby experts do it the other way around. Just sayin'

Matt Leblanc Whatever GIF

Here's the ROTM article on his tank to show what I'm talking about: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/r...tiful-80-gallon-sps-reef.896226/#post-9965756

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hehe! That is the conventional wisdom, but see my previous post. At least some reef hobby experts do it the other way around. Just sayin'

Matt Leblanc Whatever GIF

Here's the ROTM article on his tank to show what I'm talking about: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/r...tiful-80-gallon-sps-reef.896226/#post-9965756
I definitely have a higher coral load than fish….i keep meaning to add more but the corals pretty gets me every time and I can’t help but buy buy buy and then no money for fish……5 fish that’s what I have after 4 years…

when I went from 16 to 75 I had 3 fish
And probably 10x that in corals

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely have a higher coral load than fish….i keep meaning to add more but the corals pretty gets me every time and I can’t help but buy buy buy and then no money for fish……5 fish that’s what I have after 4 years…

when I went from 16 to 75 I had 3 fish
And probably 10x that in corals
I'm the exact opposite. Always been fish first and foremost. Hence my new tank being a butterfly dominated reef (at least hopefully). We'll see if any corals survive.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back