What is one thing in the hobby that you wished existed, but doesn't?

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
second to that would be a device that painlessly and non-destructively "inspired" anemones to release from liverock.

I've successfully used ice cubes in the past (in tank) to get an rbta to let go of a rock. I rubbed the ice on the edge of the foot and it irritated the anemone enough to release slightly from the rock. At which point I was able to gently "peel" it the rest of the way off.

krollins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've thought about this a lot and am surprised that none of the bigger companies have done this. Seems like all it would take is a PAR meter (and maybe a camera?) connected to the internet in various locations (Fiji, Indo, GBR, etc) that log readings throughout each day. Then those readings could be downloaded to the end users' lights, and they could adjust the percentage of light to their tank accordingly. 100% would be peak daylight, obviously, but you could have it to where the end user could set their max output to only 50% or whatever and the rest of the day would ramp up and down from there based upon the data collected for that day.

I hope that makes sense. I've had a lot going on recently and my brain is pretty frazzled. Lol.
I would like it if you could choose your location too.

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to really set off the group…. GMO coral and fish. They genetically alter plants to resist this or that. Heck, they make RoundUp resistant corn so farmers can spray the whole field… weeds gone, corn fine. Cotton now has pesticide in their DNA so when the boll weevil takes a bite it dies.

- ick resistant fish
- modified acros that kill AEF when they take a bite.
- genetically altered bacteria (like BT) that only attacks individual species of pests like aptasia, or bubble algae, or planaria or whatever other undesirables are in the tank.

While they are at it…. Pods that reproduce exponentially faster so we can keep dragonets in a nano.

Since we aren’t typically eating what is in our reef tanks the GMO label should be less objectionable.
I've actually looked into this a tiny bit. CRISPA is the tech behind it, and you can do it all at home if you get yourself a small lab setup for it! It's actually quite surprising how available step by step guides are on doing a few well understood genetic changes. For example fluorescent yeast was a fun one I watched.
Amongst my long list projects is trying to see what could be done with coral.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have columbian sharks. Can go in full salt.

Those look like catfish tho.
I think the guy wants a full on mini Mako or something more graceful.

.... oh, and talking fish.

Oh heck no... i dont even want to started on the con's of having a parrot listen in your conversation and then selectively repeat only the bad things, you taught it as a joke, only to realize its too late to take it back.

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tang police to.....look away?
O2cmLE.gif

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefdiculous22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to see a call center for reefing. Coming on the forums is nice but it’s easier to get and process information when talking to someone . Or maybe a place where you can find mentors to help . Idk just throwing it out there.
Even better something with video chat so you could show the tank and the person helping can actually see your tank and how it’s set up.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
water self test kit that isn't as complicated as whatever is in the market today. Just hookup to your tank and it does its thing.
you need to investigate what a apex/neptune trident can do for you ;)
This has been made.
Anemone cannon

Thread 'Safe and Easy DIY way to remove Nems' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/safe-and-easy-diy-way-to-remove-nems.861213/
i actually bought foam and a pipe the last time i decided i was going to make an effort to remove a few and the issue was snuggling the foam in between other corals. those have since been lost to the nems so it'd probably work out well now.
I appreciate the reminder :)

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've successfully used ice cubes in the past (in tank) to get an rbta to let go of a rock. I rubbed the ice on the edge of the foot and it irritated the anemone enough to release slightly from the rock. At which point I was able to gently "peel" it the rest of the way off.
i'd use that trick but the unfortunate problem is most of my nems have taken advantage of holes in my rock and the foot isn't accessible to chill

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Companies that actually cared about customer service and support.

2. Companies that actually put out products that worked from day one - and didn't sell you their product expecting you to be their beta testers...

3. More retail competition (seems to be going the other way with BRS (and others) buying up everyone).

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Companies that actually cared about customer service and support.

2. Companies that actually put out products that worked from day one - and didn't sell you their product expecting you to be their beta testers...

3. More retail competition (seems to be going the other way with BRS (and others) buying up everyone).
#3 is a huge one. When there is only the big companies left, they tend to price things at whatever they want and they start getting lazy, customer service gets worse and the biggest thing is innovation slows down as there is no competition and no reason to build better and more innovative items.
Eg. No one seems to make a freakin unit that tests:
*****Phosphate
****Nitrate
*Alk/Cal/Mag
All in one package that is reliable

bubbgee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you need to investigate what a apex/neptune trident can do for you ;)

i actually bought foam and a pipe the last time i decided i was going to make an effort to remove a few and the issue was snuggling the foam in between other corals. those have since been lost to the nems so it'd probably work out well now.
I appreciate the reminder :)
I already have Trident. It's a pain to setup and initialize and maintain.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have Trident. It's a pain to setup and initialize and maintain.
I hate to complain as i've been running an Apex for over 10 years now but I whole-heartedy agree. I updated my old apex classic to get with the times and the fun ended quickly due to missing modules and struggles to get it working like it previously did.

reef guy 56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want biolumi coral that recharges during the day when you have your blue's and uv on, and glows at night.

I want a CBB and Moorish Idol which won't go on a hunger strike from you looking at it funny.

A super PB Tang, or Achiles Tang which aren't ich magnets, or will get ich even tho you 100% sure you did the QT process properly, yet they still show white spots.

A UV sterilizer for fish that you can just put in a box for 10 min and skip the entire QT process.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back