Why do people “Get out of the Hobby”

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in the late 80's early 90's, I struggled with keeping corals alive. Fish thrived, but corals withered away. I also at the time was breeding and selling 2 types of freshwater fish, guppies (fancy) and cory cats to the LFS. The problems was basically a money pit with salt water tank, it came to an end when I was given an offer for my fish. The information availible now leads me to believe my issue then was lighting. But I'm back in it, armed with better info thanks to R2R and the internet.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve left the hobby two times and am still out for now. The main reasons were:

Time: First time I was in the second half of my college degree and just didn’t have the time to keep up. I was also a little deflated after a tank leak. Similarly, I left a year ago because between my job, golf and getting married, I just didn’t have the time to dedicate towards testing, water changes, etc.

Money: This wasn’t as big a factor the first time but was the second. My wife and I make good money but I chose to put more money towards golf. Plus pricing has gotten crazy since the first time I left and we were planning a wedding. Currently seeking out a promotion which may bring me back into the hobby.

Bubble algae: Again, this was more so the second time. I had set up 3 different tanks and could not escape bubble algae no matter what I did. If I get back in, I’m definitely taking a different approach and may take the time to set up a coral QT to make sure I avoid it.

Space was also a minor factor as I couldn’t efficiently set up the tank I wanted but I also don’t mind nanos. Whatever my next tank is, I have not yet decided

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a source you can provide? Failure could mean a lot of things.
Kind of curious as to how/why a marketing group in this hobby was able to capture the numbers. How would they know who to contact if they weren’t registered with the big suppliers.
Many who got out may have just relied on a local LFS, or even a Petco/Petsmart, with no way to ask why they got out. There would be too many missing surveys to collect a marketing study.
I’ll attribute mine to failure. The first time I had a seal break on what was the best tank I’d ever had. I was too defeated to get back into it but did have a small AIO for a bit after that I enjoyed.

Second time was bubble algae. Spent so much time and money trying to fight it and just could not get rid of it. Wasn’t worth trying to set up a new tank so I sold everything

OP
OP
bdongoron

bdongoron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll attribute mine to failure. The first time I had a seal break on what was the best tank I’d ever had. I was too defeated to get back into it but did have a small AIO for a bit after that I enjoyed.

Second time was bubble algae. Spent so much time and money trying to fight it and just could not get rid of it. Wasn’t worth trying to set up a new tank so I sold everything
A leaking tank or blowout I think would put me out of it. The amount of destruction having all that water come into the house would cause. I’m slightly always paranoid of that possibility

indyjaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me since I'm on tank 4, here are my reasons:

- Time constraints
- Costs
- Kids
- Moving
- Again Time constraints

jellifishi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finances, time, other responsibilities. Money controls everything we do, including hobbies. Having an aquarium is a true privilege, ESPECIALLY a saltwater hobby. Freshwater is less expensive and doesn't have to be kept up with as frequently as saltwater.

Manpeckz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Life, Learning Curve, Lack of Patience, Losses or Extreme Crashes.

Thanks to everyone for sharing, some of these are things I think about all the time. Ive had some bad dreams about waking up to a wet floor before... and my tank is a nano. LOL

FreeEnergy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do we think are the biggest contributing factors to people getting out of the “hobby”. I see a lot of people selling off tanks and equipment stating they don’t have time for it anymore but I’ve never thought it to be a super time consuming thing. Do people lose interest overtime? I don’t really view it as a hobby personally, just try to create a beautiful glimpse of the ocean/reefs contained in the comfort of our homes. I think it adds a relaxing calming element to the home for all who live there as well as any guests that come over.
It is time consuming

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A leaking tank or blowout I think would put me out of it. The amount of destruction having all that water come into the house would cause. I’m slightly always paranoid of that possibility
We were lucky. It was a slow leak so I only lost MAYBE 5 gallons. Most was due to the sump overflowing but still not quite sure how that was able to happen.

It was about $1500 in damage that the tank company covered, on top of them offering to build a new tank of my choosing. Funny enough, my parents had this wood bowl that served as a centerpiece on the kitchen table. It ended up catching all of the water that came through the ceiling

KTTX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a cost associated with tanks after cycling a tank.

Then the cost of trying to correct or maintain issues like algae dinos ick etc.

cvicente

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. When you look in depth this hobby is very difficult even for experienced hobbyist.
2. Cost, both initial and in the long run.
3. Poor survival rate of many species.
4. Lack of relevant scientific data or no access to this data.
4. This hobby requires sacrifice and not many people are willing to do what needs to be done.
5. Divorce, child support, moving to another State or country, losing a job, etc.
6. This hobby as many others is an addiction and can cause many problems within a family.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reasons vary .... most have been mentioned already. For me, interest in the hobby waxes and wanes. Sometimes I am really into it, and the effort is worthwhile; other times I get more interested in other things and the effort becomes a chore. I have been in this hobby since 1985, and only dropped out for one 4-year period because I was more interested in spending time with my young sons. Recently I thought about dropping out again, mostly due to ambivalence, but those now not-so-young sons convinced me to persevere .... so I just downsized.

AKReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a source you can provide? Failure could mean a lot of things.
Kind of curious as to how/why a marketing group in this hobby was able to capture the numbers. How would they know who to contact if they weren’t registered with the big suppliers.
Many who got out may have just relied on a local LFS, or even a Petco/Petsmart, with no way to ask why they got out. There would be too many missing surveys to collect a marketing study.
Thanks for the question. I saw it in a YT video where someone representing the organization that conducted the research was quoted saying it. I'll have to go find it. Then you can contact that person if you want details. I think it was also in a Melevsreef YT video.

Perhaps you have a better reason people leave the hobby?

Last edited:

CKW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost got out of the hobby just a month or so ago. After moving in November for my first time it was all good with the tank. Around January I started losing corals, slowly but surely, they were all dying. From ones that I’ve had from when I started over 2 years ago to rare ones I’ve collected along the way I lost every single one of them. Let me tell you that really pushes your limits, even just feeding my fish I had no motivation to (I still did everyday lol) on top of that one of my favourite fish my Mccoskers wrasse lost an eye and has been missing for many weeks I’m guessing he died somehow. I was so close to selling my tank and was ready to quit but thought to myself to just hold on, I’ve spent too much time and money to get rid of it all. Fast forward to today I’m very slowly getting back into it looking at new corals and finally enjoying it again.
I agree that failure or not being successful sooner is causing the majority to exit. I’m not so sure cost is a major factor as down sizing is an option to anyone who needs or feels they should.
I’ve dropped out a few times due to moves and “time”. I’ve been in this hobby for 60 plus years and find it rewarding in many ways.

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finances, time, other responsibilities. Money controls everything we do, including hobbies. Having an aquarium is a true privilege, ESPECIALLY a saltwater hobby. Freshwater is less expensive and doesn't have to be kept up with as frequently as saltwater.

I gotta admit. Money was a thing for me too. I obviously needed to upgrade a few items and purchase (or build) a few more. So I understand that. Now that I'm older and the kids are grown I have more money for me!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back