What is one thing in the hobby that you wished existed, but doesn't?

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't even dream the money that would be made from an over the counter doseable solution for aiptasia.
second to that would be a device that painlessly and non-destructively "inspired" anemones to release from liverock.

Aiptaisia anemone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small version of nautilus that can be kept on a regular aquarium. Equipment wise, I would like a chillers the size of an aquarium heater. Realistically though I would like an aquarium bowl made with starphire glass and a built in filtration.

Patx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if this has already been named but this thing would really be my only wish.

1000003350.jpg

crahan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to really set off the group…. GMO coral and fish. They genetically alter plants to resist this or that. Heck, they make RoundUp resistant corn so farmers can spray the whole field… weeds gone, corn fine. Cotton now has pesticide in their DNA so when the boll weevil takes a bite it dies.

- ick resistant fish
- modified acros that kill AEF when they take a bite.
- genetically altered bacteria (like BT) that only attacks individual species of pests like aptasia, or bubble algae, or planaria or whatever other undesirables are in the tank.

While they are at it…. Pods that reproduce exponentially faster so we can keep dragonets in a nano.

Since we aren’t typically eating what is in our reef tanks the GMO label should be less objectionable.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about we just say, Google (Alexa) clean my tank and a little robot automatically cleans the glass, siphons the sand, changes the filtration and performs a water change?

.... oh, and talking fish.

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
A tank that perfectly mimics a real location in lighting and flow and will change based on what is going on in that area.

I've thought about this a lot and am surprised that none of the bigger companies have done this. Seems like all it would take is a PAR meter (and maybe a camera?) connected to the internet in various locations (Fiji, Indo, GBR, etc) that log readings throughout each day. Then those readings could be downloaded to the end users' lights, and they could adjust the percentage of light to their tank accordingly. 100% would be peak daylight, obviously, but you could have it to where the end user could set their max output to only 50% or whatever and the rest of the day would ramp up and down from there based upon the data collected for that day.

I hope that makes sense. I've had a lot going on recently and my brain is pretty frazzled. Lol.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back