Why do people “Get out of the Hobby”

SocalS14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Relocation was the major reason I shut down two prior tanks. With uncertainty around whether I was going to stay put, I held off starting my now third tank.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This became a plague in my tank and was unable to get an id. The faster I pulled it out the faster it grew. My daughter was in travel softball, tournaments, practices, pitching and batting coaches. My boys were in seasonal sports. I got so sick of looking at my ugly tank I tore it down after 16 years knowing I would return. Didn’t think it would take 10 years but here I am.
9D896774-6577-4904-AC32-1FAB1DC6EDDD.jpeg

Sirlagzalott

Back at it after a 12yr hiatus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will relay my "quitting" sob story. In May of 2012, I suffered a near fatal head injury (ATV accident) that put me into a coma for 30 days. During that time, a few friends tried to keep things in tact for me but my 300g display plus auxiliary tanks crashed. I lost about $5,000+ in coral (that's in 2012 dollars) and several fish (oh my beloved yellow tangs). Rehab and other things made a fish tank, especially one of that size, seem overwhelming. I then decided to liquidate everything. Fortunately, I made a miraculous and 100% recovery. However, the accident had taken its toll on my family life, primarily my marriage. In a way, it brought to light many issues that I had avoided. Fast forward a few years later....divorce. A really nasty one. I lost financially big time so it's taken me a few years to get my life in order (in spite of the massive alimony payments). So here I am today, restarting. Great to be back and when that last alimony payment goes, in comes my dream tank!!!!

Here is my tank that tragically died:

IMG_0905.jpeg
IMG_2062.jpeg

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simply put I got out around 2010 for my now exwife trying to appease her. After about 5 years of no fish tanks I realized she wasnt ever going to be happy no matter what I did or didnt do. So I got back into fresh water. After the divorce I focused on getting my life back on track, finding a new house, figuring how to get all my current fresh water fish either moved or given away. Getting the house and other stuff in order wasnt the big thing getting stuck with 75% of her debt was. So after another 5 years I am back.

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Lack if patience.
Unwillingness to actually learn the hobby.
Expense.

Those get my vote for why most leave.

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time, or lack of it, is a valid reason. But if you love it, you'll make time.

This hobby is quick to pique someone's interest. The idea of having a piece of the ocean in your home is hard to resist. But if you don't love it, the excitement fades and like most hobbies, people get out of it. I think most of the reefers here have been interested in fish, coral, and reefs from a very young age and have continued that interest in the hobby into adulthood.

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I will relay my "quitting" sob story. In May of 2012, I suffered a near fatal head injury (ATV accident) that put me into a coma for 30 days. During that time, a few friends tried to keep things in tact for me but my 300g display plus auxiliary tanks crashed. I lost about $5,000+ in coral (that's in 2012 dollars) and several fish (oh my beloved yellow tangs). Rehab and other things made a fish tank, especially one of that size, seem overwhelming. I then decided to liquidate everything. Fortunately, I made a miraculous and 100% recovery. However, the accident had taken its toll on my family life, primarily my marriage. In a way, it brought to light many issues that I had avoided. Fast forward a few years later....divorce. A really nasty one. I lost financially big time so it's taken me a few years to get my life in order (in spite of the massive alimony payments). So here I am today, restarting. Great to be back and when that last alimony payment goes, in comes my dream tank!!!!

IMG_0905.jpeg
IMG_2062.jpeg

You gotta tell us about that background, it's outstanding.

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simply put I got out around 2010 for my now exwife trying to appease her. After about 5 years of no fish tanks I realized she wasnt ever going to be happy no matter what I did or didnt do. So I got back into fresh water. After the divorce I focused on getting my life back on track, finding a new house, figuring how to get all my current fresh water fish either moved or given away. Getting the house and other stuff in order wasnt the big thing getting stuck with 75% of her debt was. So after another 5 years I am back.
Nice to have you back. ;)

Sirlagzalott

Back at it after a 12yr hiatus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You gotta tell us about that background, it's outstanding.
It was one of my favorite parts of that tank. It was a shadowbox.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do we think are the biggest contributing factors to people getting out of the “hobby”. I see a lot of people selling off tanks and equipment stating they don’t have time for it anymore but I’ve never thought it to be a super time consuming thing. Do people lose interest overtime? I don’t really view it as a hobby personally, just try to create a beautiful glimpse of the ocean/reefs contained in the comfort of our homes. I think it adds a relaxing calming element to the home for all who live there as well as any guests that come over.
For me if I lose my yellow tang. May not quit but will pout for a long time as I really take my time

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many reasons, I'm sure. But judging by how many posts I see spread across many forums that focus on issues such as disease and nuisance algae, my guess is that too many people think it's gonna be like making Kool-Aid. Just dump in a bunch of stuff, sit back and enjoy.

Then reality slaps them upside the head like a mad Latina mom with her chankla.

Boo Baker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have been off and on for 30 years, 2 months ago we started again. I travel for work occasionally, and the whole family goes with me. Sometimes we are gone for 5-6 months. Hopefully most of the traveling is over and we can have this tank for years. So, I think you never get out just leave for awhile.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do we think are the biggest contributing factors to people getting out of the “hobby”. I see a lot of people selling off tanks and equipment stating they don’t have time for it anymore but I’ve never thought it to be a super time consuming thing. Do people lose interest overtime? I don’t really view it as a hobby personally, just try to create a beautiful glimpse of the ocean/reefs contained in the comfort of our homes. I think it adds a relaxing calming element to the home for all who live there as well as any guests that come over.
For me it's a planned event.

Two years from now the tank is going to shutdown and everything tank related sold.
After all, I setup my first tropical tank in 1976, so 50 years seems about time.

The wife has big travel plans and tanks and extended (> 12months at a time) travel is difficult with a tank.

I already have started mapping out the shutdown :)

OP
OP
bdongoron

bdongoron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_0905.jpeg
IMG_2062.jpeg
Thanks so much for sharing man. That a difficult road to head down, but I’m so glad you’re on the other side of it and your setup looks amazing.

Robert Ranciato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
For me it would be one of two reasons one is if I kept losing fish and coral. Two many people just buy a fish and or coral without doing the proper research. These are living creatures and should be purchased and sold with care and respect. The second is a issue that I have been contemplating lately the cost. This hobby is expensive and it's getting ridiculous lately. I realize you will always have companies like World Wide Corals and Top Shelf Aquatics that will ask stupid prices for livestock and stupid people will pay but when the price on essential products that you need to run and maintain a reef tank keep increasing multiple times a year it makes me think about putting my money into my other hobbies. The price of gfo, carbon and additives keep going up. I think Hanna Instruments raised the price on their reagents 3 times in a year and a half. Bulkreefsupply seems to have increased their prices on everything lately. I haven't purchased anything from them since Ryan sold the company why would I buy my products from them when I can get them for the same price or cheaper and not pay sales taxes like at Aqucave. Buy a led light and not paying tax makes a big difference. I do miss Saltwateraquarium free shipping though. I don't think prices can keep going up and have new people entering the hobby. Saltwater might just price some people out of the hobby.

Eggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many get into the hobby without a plan. They have no understanding of what is involved in maintaining a system. Just look at all the threads, its obvious that they never took time to research the hobby.
They crash and burn and are out.
This happens way more than most realize.

This right here. Have to do the homework first.

AKReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The #1 reason is failure. That was proven via a marketing survey.

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got out when my tank crashed. And crashed hard. That was about 12 years ago. My boy was 12 and my girl 10. LOL I took it as a sign to extricate myself from the hobby (and 3Reef) to spend more time with the wife and kids. Especially my boy, who was JUST entering the, well, interesting years! It was a rock solid decision.

Eggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The #1 reason is failure. That was proven via a marketing survey.

Is there a source you can provide? Failure could mean a lot of things.
Kind of curious as to how/why a marketing group in this hobby was able to capture the numbers. How would they know who to contact if they weren’t registered with the big suppliers.
Many who got out may have just relied on a local LFS, or even a Petco/Petsmart, with no way to ask why they got out. There would be too many missing surveys to collect a marketing study.

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 52 74.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back