What have you done to your system today?

nitrox36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, it's all about your personal opinion. The same argument has been said about sand bottom/ no sand bottom. Comes down to what u have what makes you happy and yes dyknox, what u can afford.

As for Corey lol, yer original question has the answer to YES. They are wireless..

nitrox36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checked the coral bank, doin awesome. Waiting on some new stuff to arrive

EvilMel

doesn't click links
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been to one of east Tenn biggest coral supplier, and what do you know they use Led's.

Just because a place that sells coral has LEDs doesn't mean they will color up your corals or are good for long term growth. In fact, those places overdo the blue LEDs and give you a false idea of what the corals will look like in your tank. Not every place does this but it is common practice at a lot of the places. They're not in the business of growing corals. They're in the business of making corals look as fluorescent as possible, which helps move corals out of their business because people are dumb and think the coral will look like that in their tank. Just look at the vendors at frag swaps...it's nearly all LEDs with mainly blue spectrum. That's because it looks cool for the little while that you're looking at the corals, but not for long term growth. Having your corals in mostly blue light won't grow them very well.

You have to strike a balance between coloration and growth, in my opinion and metal halides seem to do that better than LEDs.

I also think it's a little silly to act like we should all get LEDs if we can afford it and that if we don't have LEDs it's because we couldn't afford it. hah hah.

As you said though, it's all a matter of personal preference.

nitrox36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok we're a bit of subject, WWC is multi million dollar business and there are switching from MH in there GROW tanks, to Ecotech LEDs. Now I would venture to guess a man with a business of that statue and over 20 years experience growing coral of all kinds might actually know what he is talking about. Since we are in the hobby and he makes his living on it, my money is on his opinion. I actually had a great opportunity to hang out with him for a few days, and see there actual operation. I was shocked to see him switching, but that is what he said and already started doing. He said the color and growth rate was exceptional. So that is the fact. Still is personal preference what to use in the hobby, So lets get back to what the thread was created for.

nitrox36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did water change, I need to by stock in Hallsdale Powell utility district!

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw i do prefer to add t5 to my led. Not much you only need like 2 bulbs just to offset the shadows and brighten up your tank and i noticed some corals color up faster with the t5 added. No single lighting is as good as t5+mh/led. Does MH grow faster corals? Probly so but leds do grow corals fast as well. Ive spent about $400 with $60/year in t5 bulb replacements over a 180 and corals grow great and look great. Granted sps are not as good rigt now because they all just came out of QT from redbugs. I only added the t5 few months ago but love the combo. For me its the best option because of cost and i like that theres no spectrum shift and par reduction over time and need to acclimate new bulbs etc.

Sent from my VS930 4G using Tapatalk 2

Zack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My corals love leds and grow like weeds under them. Softies,lps, and most importantly to me:sps. A lot of my sps frags are encrusting so fast I can watch the progress daily! But obviously corals grow great under halides and t5s too so like others have already said, it's all personal preference!

Sent from my VS950 4G using Forum Runner

nitrox36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gmoney: when I finish my 1350 upgrade I will have LEDs and I am looking at 2 t5's to add something extra, so you are absolutely correct. Also i noticed Some greens look really sharp under t5s.

Zack: same here when I first started talking about LEDs, a couple people swore against them, and after I received them , those same people expressed how fond of the growth I had in fact put corals in there to see them grow, lol. But will deny it.

So ya hey it's all good. As long as I'm having fun. It is so much fun watching coral progress so vividly.

EvilMel

doesn't click links
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the guys at Vivid Aquariums in L.A. one of the foremost coral retailers in the US have an 800 gallon display mixed reef, which I believe was featured in Coral magazine. They put radion LEDs on one side and MHs on the other...as an experiment. Everyone on staff agrees that the MHs produced superior results, PAR be danged.

In addition, just because someone is switching to LEDs doesn't mean that they're better than MHs. I'd like to talk to the guy at WWC in two years...after he's had the LEDs for a while.

Zack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zack what LEDs u have?

I'm using ecoxotic panorama pro fixture. With an extra royal blue module. They are only 1.8 watts instead of a lot of others which are 3 but it avoids having to fan cool them. I''ve had great results with them.
I don't think there is any one "superior" lighting system though because lighting isn't the only factor I'm.sure one person can get better growth with leds and another with halides. Obviously leds have.to be as effective as halides with so many people having positive results. There are too many tanks with awesome results from leds for them to not be effective. To each his/her own!

Rmorales13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just fed the fish today!! And took some pics...been adding new coral for the past week so it was nice to do nothing at all really lol

SLUF681

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about replacing the stereo in the Volvo S40 that I bought for my son this past Sunday. I can't really decide whether to go with a Pioneer or a Kenwood. I may even go with a JVC or a Clarion. I'm gonna put all new speakers and a subwoofer, as well as an amp. Oh, just so I stay even remotely on the same topic as the thread title, I topped my tanks off, cleaned the glass, and looked at my tanks. I also fed both tanks. I have halides on both tanks, but I have LED moonlights on the 120. I like butterflies.

Laborator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about replacing the stereo in the Volvo S40 that I bought for my son this past Sunday. I can't really decide whether to go with a Pioneer or a Kenwood. I may even go with a JVC or a Clarion. I'm gonna put all new speakers and a subwoofer, as well as an amp. Oh, just so I stay even remotely on the same topic as the thread title, I topped my tanks off, cleaned the glass, and looked at my tanks. I also fed both tanks. I have halides on both tanks, but I have LED moonlights on the 120. I like butterflies.

Pioneer would be my preference.

Zack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for calling us out on it bro, ya it's annoying when people take the thread way off course and there I was doing it too. Lol. Thanks for keeping it real!Ok back on subject now, today I have to do my weekly maintenance: clean skimmer cup, water change, check parameters... some reason it still never seems like a chore to me though! Oh ya, I get to glue down my new frags I've been acclimating! They will finally have a permanent home!

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THis thread has taken a turn in the wrong direction. Get it back on track, please.

nitrox36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I tried, good call rob.

The start of goodies to put on the tank starts today. Hey rmorales, can put a pic up of what u did? I think that would freshen up the thread!

Bushmaster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added this little guy, I think Robs love for wrasse has rubbed off on me.
2013-01-11_21-11-50_488.jpg

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 68 51.5%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back