What hose or tubing would be best for distance?

Savior_of_Gotham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I need some help deciding what tubing to use for someone who has about 150ft of travel distance from their water tank reservoir to their larger aquarium. It's about 140ish feet horizontally and then has a head height of 6.5ft vertically. It would just be for water changes with prepared water from the reservoir and an external DC pump with the appropriate head pressure and GPH already found.

The problem is I cannot hard plumb for them and would basically need a 1-1/4' diameter tube to run from their backyard into the house and into the tank or sump, and then put away afterward. I was not a part of how this was set up in the first place and they had someone that was supposed to take care of their system that just got lazy and quit on them so I'm kind of hoping in late in the game and making do with what I can.

I was thinking black vinyl tubing from lowes maybe? Need some help here thank you!

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I need some help deciding what tubing to use for someone who has about 150ft of travel distance from their water tank reservoir to their larger aquarium. It's about 140ish feet horizontally and then has a head height of 6.5ft vertically. It would just be for water changes with prepared water from the reservoir and an external DC pump with the appropriate head pressure and GPH already found.

The problem is I cannot hard plumb for them and would basically need a 1-1/4' diameter tube to run from their backyard into the house and into the tank or sump, and then put away afterward. I was not a part of how this was set up in the first place and they had someone that was supposed to take care of their system that just got lazy and quit on them so I'm kind of hoping in late in the game and making do with what I can.

I was thinking black vinyl tubing from lowes maybe? Need some help here thank you!
So this will need to be rolled up (so to speak) when done using it? Or is there an option to bury it?

I use clear silicone hose with a couple of adaptors (all plastic) to span about 125' with no issues. Until I buried piping and routed into my fish barn, this was the way water go added to the brutes and ATO containers in it. A jebao dcp12000 did the job of pushing the water just fine and it has about 12' of head pressure. Water flow was not a fire hose or anything, but it moved just fine.

The hose I am referring to is this. I had to buy a few sections and I connected them with plastic compression connectors from tractor supply. They have metal screws, but are not on anything where the SW will be in contact with them. I then connected a short piece of hose to the barb fitting for the pump that fit the hose and used 2 plastic hose clamps to make sure it did not come off the pump. From there, I could attach however much hose I needed (50' at a time) like you would connect garden hoses.

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the python. Easy to rollout and roll back and designed for this purpose (siphon out or refill).

OP
OP
Savior_of_Gotham

Savior_of_Gotham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, would getting just clear PVC vinyl tubing work the same for me? Cause the pump has a 1-1/4" fitting and I can't find the same python hose near that size.

Thank you guys for the quick help too

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, would getting just clear PVC vinyl tubing work the same for me? Cause the pump has a 1-1/4" fitting and I can't find the same python hose near that size.

Thank you guys for the quick help too
The concept would be exact same but the great thing about the python is the flexibility of the tubing. It's so much more flexible and softer. I use it to fill a 200g and a 100g system using a pump. You can still use your pump but you'll need to reduce to a 3/4" Barb. If you use 1-1/4" tubing at that length that's going to be costly and very difficult to roll up. The barb reduction is absolutely the way to go.

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The python uses a 3/4" connection same as a faucet or garden hose. I also pump from a 1-1/4" threaded pump. I had to reduce to a 1' adapter then to 3/4". If you go directly to the python tubing then and not connect with hardware then the tubing is 1/2".

Last edited:
OP
OP
Savior_of_Gotham

Savior_of_Gotham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be alright to use a garden hose or python tubing if they are using a stronger DC pump with an 8500 GPH output (Tiger Shark from Reeflo on Bulkreefsupply) ? Would it be okay to use connectors to drop from 1.5" to 3/4" python hose or would I be pushing it at that point?

OP
OP
Savior_of_Gotham

Savior_of_Gotham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The python uses a 3/4" connection same as a faucet or garden hose. I also pump from a 1-1/4" threaded pump. I had to reduce to a 1' adapter then to 3/4". If you go directly to the python tubing then and not connect with hardware then the tubing is 1/2".
Would it be alright to use a garden hose or python tubing if they are using a stronger DC pump with an 8500 GPH output (Tiger Shark from Reeflo on Bulkreefsupply) ? Would it be okay to use connectors to drop from 1.5" to 3/4" python hose or would I be pushing it at that point?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Python. Garden hose will accumulate mold and/or mildew

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some water hoses are for potable water.
The only thing sticking out to me is that the connectors would have to be plastic. Not sure the ones with plastic connectors but you could always change them out. I have seen plastic hose connectors for sale. As for mold and mildew, any hose that would happen to. You always have to periodically clean them if they're not in constant use. Even if they were stored away or rinsed afterwards.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PEX Tubing and the plastic connector. You’ll have to get a plumber to expand the Rings or PEX with a special tool, I think that system uses PEX “A”
5969989A-489D-4201-BAC1-17545554621D.jpeg

Last edited:

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 35 35.7%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 53 54.1%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 4.1%
Back