What is the worst insult you have gotten about the hobby from....

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That or:
"I just won a goldfish at the fair, do you want him for your tank?"

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well lets see... not that i consider any of them an insult to my reefing.... but i guess these would be the most annoying comments or ways people have acted that ive gotten...

- "oh look, its nemo"
- like others have said you have all these nice corals and expensive fish, and the non-reefer is interested in the dang turbo snail
- "you mean, those things are alive?"
- "what do you mean, how is rock "live" ?"
- how often do you go to the fish store ????!!!!
-oh my gosh you have to a water change every two weeks !!!

joefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best insults on my reef and reefkeeping skills come from my ex, most contain non board friendly wording. She goes out of her way to inspect it cut me down everytime she drops off my duaghter.Her favorite is "You are so going to pay more child support once I tell the judge about this".

Tanked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my friend bought a tank after spending many hours in front of mine and the whole time my girlfriend is telling his wife that she might as well say goodbye now because he is now getting married to the tank.Needless to say everytime I go over there,I get "THANKED" for getting him into a tank and of course she definately is not serious.

Mr V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
every single time :"why there is only one fish in your tank?"
Me: "what fish?", "Oh, I have a fish, I just notice that!"

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'm lucky because my woman likes the tank just as much as I do. The only problem she has is that the bicolor blenny that went carpet surfing a year ago hasn't been replaced. She seriously shed some tears over that one.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard most of these so far lol. I guess even on the other side of the planet people aren't all that different.
Mainly "So are those coral things plants or plastic?" and "Look at that green hairy stuff! It looks so natural!" from non reefers and a few non forum friendly ones from the fiancé.
Great thread!!

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe not as much an insult than an example of how we are so misunderstood. A family friend gave me the following as a Christmas gift.

I told my wife I'll give it to someone starting a freshwater tank....because it's that kind of book. She was insistent that I had to put this book on my bookshelf just in case this friend is over and wants to see it. Oh well!

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe not as much an insult than an example of how we are so misunderstood. A family friend gave me the following as a Christmas gift.

I told my wife I'll give it to someone starting a freshwater tank....because it's that kind of book. She was insistent that I had to put this book on my bookshelf just in case this friend is over and wants to see it. Oh well!
You're not going to be adding any tetras to your reef anytime soon? ?

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I ask for a price of a Coral and sales guy is laughing. I find it really insulting. Don't we all need to know the price, so why laugh? I should probably post the name of store in here.

ruppertb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dislike when i hear people i work with comment " how can you pay so much for fish or coral thats just stupid" and then they have expensive hobbys or smoke or go to the bar every night but those things can be justified in there minds to them

GreatWhiteTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's my own fault but the whole... "omg it's. Nemo!!!" .. Thanks for noticing the 10 dollar fish amongst the thousands in coral lol..
Couple. Others :

_ can i touch it?
-eew that's ugly
-y didnt you spend that money on something cool?
- you have too. Much free. Time
-I used to have a goldfish or betta

chris82079

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine is sitting here giving me dirty looks every time i read one of these posts...i'm in the dog house and it dollar a gallon time at petco!!! lol

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife always threatens to flush them down the toilet or cook them up an feed them to me as fish sticks.

I spend 30 min a day and 3 hrs in one day once a month in my basement and she says i spend so much time down there that my 2yo son wakes up he yells for me through the gate leading to the basement. My son is not helping... :frusty:

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back