What is your favorite part about this wonderful forum of hobbyists , professionals, and goofballs?

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will start and it changes to be quite honest depending on what part of the hobby I am. Currently I do not have a fish tank, however I can go back and look and read through my build thread and feel more feelings. Those feelings directly related to a hobby I love, and try as hard as I can to talk to anyone about it and they look at me weird every single time.
Hobbyists, newbies, professionals, and goofballs all just appreciating what each others done. At one point in the thread I saw a "i haven't tested for magnesium yet, not sure what it is anyway" and I mean you go on facebook and say/admit that, you'll end up crying, sitting on a matchstick just kicking your legs regretting it. This is an absolutely wonderful place, one that I would say is the purest group of true hobbyists that are willing to share information. What if someone was like "dude r u stupid its something that makes corals grow" well yes, I can figure at least that part of it out, while I am sure there are other things I should probably learn to. All that a pure hobbyist wants is for you to not make the same mistakes they made, ultimately keeping your animals safer and your wallet happier. I think there is a reason that this place , Reef 2 Reef , is the standard for being able to let your guard down a little bit, say open and honestly, I love this hobby, I haven't been doing it for 36 years but man is it fun. I have this problem, and I have 36 people telling me 37 things, one person has a two part that I don't know what either part is. i assume two part is like something that is a little bit less than a three part ?

What is your favorite part ( i dont mean the 1 or the 2 or the 3 , lets leave that discussion for the informational more "less pointless but still worth clicking on" threads

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rare opportunity to snorkel and collect (legally) livestock in the Florida Keys and local SW Florida estuaries for my tank. Not too many people get that kind of a chance. But there is a thread (link in my signature below) about it and a number of other people have been willing to share their 'special' spots for collecting.

I don't get any stony corals as they are all illegal. And I very rarely get a fish as they are quite hard to catch (and I'm not very interested in fish anyway). But the list of what I have collected is pretty big: serpent, brittle and regular sea stars, small yellow sea cucumbers, emerald crabs, coral banded shrimp, flame scallops, small local clams, green zoas, several kinds of gorgonians, hermit crabs, astrea snails, cerith snails, nerite snails, tiny feather dusters, and 1 mantis shrimp!

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love that pretty much everyone here is very nice, willing to help, has a good sense of humor. Most are genuinely wanting to help advance the hobby, and help new folks start off on the right foot. The wealth of knowledge here is astounding. I look forward to coming in here multiple times a day just to see what is going on.

jermzisurmom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rare opportunity to snorkel and collect (legally) livestock in the Florida Keys and local SW Florida estuaries for my tank. Not too many people get that kind of a chance. But there is a thread (link in my signature below) about it and a number of other people have been willing to share their 'special' spots for collecting.

I don't get any stony corals as they are all illegal. And I very rarely get a fish as they are quite hard to catch (and I'm not very interested in fish anyway). But the list of what I have collected is pretty big: serpent, brittle and regular sea stars, small yellow sea cucumbers, emerald crabs, coral banded shrimp, flame scallops, small local clams, green zoas, several kinds of gorgonians, hermit crabs, astrea snails, cerith snails, nerite snails, tiny feather dusters, and 1 mantis shrimp!
I love that feeling and I'm lucky enough to share it with my family, who love it as well!!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 82.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 8.6%
Back