What to do? PraziPro pro ➡️ copper power???

jkv77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a fish in QT that has been there for 2 weeks. Yesterday I dosed PraziPro. Today I noticed white dots on his fins. Is this the start of Ich or is it something else? Should I continue the treatment with PraziPro? Or do a complete water change and do copper power the blue one? Fish has been eating. I have done kannaplex and metroplex with focus in its food for the past week. To answer everyone’s questions, I haven’t done Copper because honestly it scares me. But I’m willing to do it. Thoughts?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First - I would not be dosing antibiotics (kanamycin/metronidazole) orally during a QT - unless you have an expertise in that area. Second, need pictures or video - and more information - other symptoms, other fish with the symptoms, etc etc. However, - if it turns out to be Ich, its ok to dose copper with Prazipro in your situation - (again if its Ich for sure) - you could hold on the prazipro, do the 30 days copper followed by Prazipro per protocol as well

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a fish in QT that has been there for 2 weeks. Yesterday I dosed PraziPro. Today I noticed white dots on his fins. Is this the start of Ich or is it something else? Should I continue the treatment with PraziPro? Or do a complete water change and do copper power the blue one? Fish has been eating. I have done kannaplex and metroplex with focus in its food for the past week. To answer everyone’s questions, I haven’t done Copper because honestly it scares me. But I’m willing to do it. Thoughts?

It could be ich, can you post a picture? Spots on the fins (as well as the body) can be ich, these will look like pin head sized spots that come an go and change location day to day, but generally increasing in number over time.

Coppersafe or copper power is relatively safe to use against marine ich.

OP
OP
J

jkv77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I do copper power should I do a water change since Prazipro is in the tank right now? Or can I add copper power directly to the tank?

Attachments

• IMG_4371.jpeg
    IMG_4371.jpeg
    101 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
J

jkv77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be ich, can you post a picture? Spots on the fins (as well as the body) can be ich, these will look like pin head sized spots that come an go and change location day to day, but generally increasing in number over time.

Coppersafe or copper power is relatively safe to use against marine ich.
If I do copper power should I do a water change since Prazipro is in the tank right now? Or can I add copper power directly to the tank with the Prazipro?

Attachments

• IMG_4371.jpeg
    IMG_4371.jpeg
    101 KB · Views: 19

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I do copper power should I do a water change since Prazipro is in the tank right now? Or can I add copper power directly to the tank with the Prazipro?
You can add copper directly. The spots look a little large for Ich (how big is the fish) - it almost looks a little (some of the spots) like lymphocystis. I would watch carefully (or perhaps you know already) - are the spots moving over time (i.e. showing up in one place, then the next day that spot is gone - and another spot arrives in a new location (which would suggest ich)

OP
OP
J

jkv77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add copper directly. The spots look a little large for Ich (how big is the fish) - it almost looks a little (some of the spots) like lymphocystis. I would watch carefully (or perhaps you know already) - are the spots moving over time (i.e. showing up in one place, then the next day that spot is gone - and another spot arrives in a new location (which would suggest ich)
The fish’s body is roughly 1”. The spots showed up just today. I dosed Prazipro last night and this afternoon I saw the spots.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given the small size of the fish, that is probably ich. Batfish also get flukes very commonly.

Is this feeding eating well? It is very thin.

I would start coppersafe or copper power.

OP
OP
J

jkv77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given the small size of the fish, that is probably ich. Batfish also get flukes very commonly.

Is this feeding eating well? It is very thin.

I would start coppersafe or copper power.
It’s eating great!! Devours everything!! I have copper power. Can I add that directly to the tank? At full strength?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s eating great!! Devours everything!! I have copper power. Can I add that directly to the tank? At full strength?
Yes. 1.2 mL of Copper Power per gallon of actual tank water will get you over the 2 ppm copper concentration.

I agree that looks like ich.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The fish’s body is roughly 1”. The spots showed up just today. I dosed Prazipro last night and this afternoon I saw the spots.
Agree that given the size of the fish, ich is likely. If the fish is in a regular QT tank (i.e. Little Rock, no inverts), coppersafe or equivalent can be used at the recommended dose - and with following levels.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Give it multiple feedings a day to try and bulk it up a bit. Yes, give a full dose of copper power.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 52 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 186 72.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.7%

Back