Whats the best backterial to re-seed with?

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am doing a full reset on my tank this weekend. I want to add some bacteria to replace what I lose when I wash out the sand.
What do you all recommend?
Last time I used Microbacter 7

Thank you :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am doing a full reset on my tank this weekend. I want to add some bacteria to replace what I lose when I wash out the sand.
What do you all recommend?
Last time I used Microbacter 7

Thank you :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
I always use Fritz Turbo Start.

That being said, the bacteria in the rocks should be sufficient, assuming you're keeping them wet during the transfer.

*Also, I HIGHLY recommend investing in new sand... It's going to take 3x as long to rinse as you expect, and then still might not be as safe as new.

OP
OP
BanZI29

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always use Fritz Turbo Start.

That being said, the bacteria in the rocks should be sufficient, assuming you're keeping them wet during the transfer.

*Also, I HIGHLY recommend investing in new sand... It's going to take 3x as long to rinse as you expect, and then still might not be as safe as new.
I was thinking about doing that but I did not want to start a Mini or full on cycle. I am keeping everything wet in a tub until I am done, I am also reusing some of my rock.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about doing that but I did not want to start a Mini or full on cycle. I am keeping everything wet in a tub until I am done, I am also reusing some of my rock.
The "cycle" is ongoing.
If you're not using the majority of your live rock, but will have the same amount of fish as before, then adding bottled bac is probably needed...
Replacing the sand alone should not be a problem but losing the biofilter in the rocks could be.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take some scoops of the top layer of sand and mix that in with the new sand. Just take the thinnest section of the top.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 52 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 186 72.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.7%
Back