Where have all the captive-bred Mandarins gone?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

KathyL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Matt said.

Several years ago, I acquired some wild caught mandarins in an attempt to breed them. A few did not survive, but most did quite well with the small tanks and low flow and food of all sorts squirted into jars in a low flow part of any tank I put them in. None of the tanks was a reef tank, or had any kind of high flow in it. I had one pair that would belly up to a sponge filter in the QT to devour whatever I put there for them. I never fed more than twice a day, and they all got plump. Some pairs appeared to spawn, but I never got any eggs, and I eventually became distracted by a new job, and ended up selling the fat mandarins.

I think that these fish are some of the most spectacularly patterned fish in the sea, and why their great appeal does not command a higher price than other fish is beyond my understanding. When ugly white splashed clownfish freaks command $100+ prices, presumably because of their "rarity", and they are not so rare now that everyone is breeding them, why are these most psychedelic beauties priced so low?

You might reply, "It's the market, Kathy", and as long as there is no differentiation made evident between captive bred and wild caught, and that differentiation is not repeated by every salesperson in every LFS whenever a mandarin is purchased, consumers will go for the lowest price item. Consumers will vote with their wallets, based on what they see with their eyes, particularly if they do not have any information to make an informed choice.

And while the salesperson is reciting the differentiation, how about describing for the newbie what this fish needs to survive, how to feed it, what to feed it, and how many times daily to feed it?

Why don't sales persons do this? Many times its because they are minimum wage workers who don't know themselves how to keep these fish alive. If the stores would pay more for more highly qualified workers, things might change. But then, the prices of everything would go up. Customers will decide to go to a cheaper store. Some stores will close. And that is the market as we know it. We are racing to the bottom, and the closer it gets, the faster we go.

My friend bought a yellow tang from a cheap store because it was cheap. Of course its a very pretty fish. The tang didn't eat. It became skeletal and weak. Because I am friends with a not so cheap store, I asked for advice. I was given some unbaked nori and some other liquified macro algae food that is popular with all fishes. Sure enough, the tang ate these and looked better. Ultimately, it did not survive because over the holidays, it did not get fed several times a day (this was an office tank). It is just stupid that this fish had to die. Had it been sold by a knowledgeable person, it probably would not have sold. Did my friend get his money's worth? Of course not. Would he have gotten better advice and either bought a healthier fish or not bought a tang at all had he gone to the not so cheap store? Almost certainly. Its a case of "knowing the price of everything, and the value of nothing." This is where the captive bred market is going.

Do people know that it takes a minimum of 4 months to bring a captive bred clownfish to market? This is with intensive feeding, water changes and electricity costs to keep that water clean and warm, and lit well enough so the fish can eat and sleep. For mandarins, it is much much longer. 9 months to a year if I recall correctly. And yet, no one seems to think that the breeder should get paid. I include in this group breeders themselves. Routinely I've come across breeders who think it is fine to sell the fish they've raised for months at much below market price, or for store credit, because they regard their labor and expenses as hobby stuff, and they've never figured out their costs, much less made a business plan. Why the work of the captive breeder, who does all the magic in this process, always have to be the loser when it comes to the market?

I'll end my rant here. Because I don't have a point. There is no controling the market, and it is what it is. I wish it were different, but its not, and that's that.

KathyL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ps, thanks for the title of this thread and its hinted tribute to an interesting man, musician, and thinker: Pete Seeger, may he rest in peace. (Where have all the flowers gone?)

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best "rant" yet. Better to get a collective spanking from within than from someone outside. ORA is one of the best things to happen to our hobby.

..And Sustainable Aquatics, Proaquatix. and the fantastic folks at MBI, as well as the nameless hobbyists everywhere, who silently toil away at cracking the secrets of captive breeding of marine fishes. And yes, the fact that we are even discussing this and reposting it and having a dialogue is outstanding. Remember, this is not an attack on all suppliers of wild caught fishes. There are many fantastic companies and wholesalers out there that do great work at bringing in fishes on a responsible basis. The SDC's, QM's and other wholesalers are outstanding...And they are run by people who care...It's the few "bad apples" that can endanger all that we love...That's why we self-police.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ps, thanks for the title of this thread and its hinted tribute to an interesting man, musician, and thinker: Pete Seeger, may he rest in peace. (Where have all the flowers gone?)

Noticed the tribute, huh? Kudos!

-Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Matt said.

Several years ago, I acquired some wild caught mandarins in an attempt to breed them. A few did not survive, but most did quite well with the small tanks and low flow and food of all sorts squirted into jars in a low flow part of any tank I put them in. None of the tanks was a reef tank, or had any kind of high flow in it. I had one pair that would belly up to a sponge filter in the QT to devour whatever I put there for them. I never fed more than twice a day, and they all got plump. Some pairs appeared to spawn, but I never got any eggs, and I eventually became distracted by a new job, and ended up selling the fat mandarins.

I think that these fish are some of the most spectacularly patterned fish in the sea, and why their great appeal does not command a higher price than other fish is beyond my understanding. When ugly white splashed clownfish freaks command $100+ prices, presumably because of their "rarity", and they are not so rare now that everyone is breeding them, why are these most psychedelic beauties priced so low?

You might reply, "It's the market, Kathy", and as long as there is no differentiation made evident between captive bred and wild caught, and that differentiation is not repeated by every salesperson in every LFS whenever a mandarin is purchased, consumers will go for the lowest price item. Consumers will vote with their wallets, based on what they see with their eyes, particularly if they do not have any information to make an informed choice.

And while the salesperson is reciting the differentiation, how about describing for the newbie what this fish needs to survive, how to feed it, what to feed it, and how many times daily to feed it?

Why don't sales persons do this? Many times its because they are minimum wage workers who don't know themselves how to keep these fish alive. If the stores would pay more for more highly qualified workers, things might change. But then, the prices of everything would go up. Customers will decide to go to a cheaper store. Some stores will close. And that is the market as we know it. We are racing to the bottom, and the closer it gets, the faster we go.

My friend bought a yellow tang from a cheap store because it was cheap. Of course its a very pretty fish. The tang didn't eat. It became skeletal and weak. Because I am friends with a not so cheap store, I asked for advice. I was given some unbaked nori and some other liquified macro algae food that is popular with all fishes. Sure enough, the tang ate these and looked better. Ultimately, it did not survive because over the holidays, it did not get fed several times a day (this was an office tank). It is just stupid that this fish had to die. Had it been sold by a knowledgeable person, it probably would not have sold. Did my friend get his money's worth? Of course not. Would he have gotten better advice and either bought a healthier fish or not bought a tang at all had he gone to the not so cheap store? Almost certainly. Its a case of "knowing the price of everything, and the value of nothing." This is where the captive bred market is going.

Do people know that it takes a minimum of 4 months to bring a captive bred clownfish to market? This is with intensive feeding, water changes and electricity costs to keep that water clean and warm, and lit well enough so the fish can eat and sleep. For mandarins, it is much much longer. 9 months to a year if I recall correctly. And yet, no one seems to think that the breeder should get paid. I include in this group breeders themselves. Routinely I've come across breeders who think it is fine to sell the fish they've raised for months at much below market price, or for store credit, because they regard their labor and expenses as hobby stuff, and they've never figured out their costs, much less made a business plan. Why the work of the captive breeder, who does all the magic in this process, always have to be the loser when it comes to the market?

I'll end my rant here. Because I don't have a point. There is no controling the market, and it is what it is. I wish it were different, but its not, and that's that.

It's very well said, Kathy...And the point is, we simply need to adopt some new attitudes, IMHO. Thanks for your interesting words!

-Scott

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to toss in my cent about captive bred fish vs my tank. If I can get CB versions of what I want, I do. If I can't...well, I get wild ones. I do want to support captive breeding - I think it's a great thing - but while they ARE making great strides, there really isn't much variety yet. For example, I'm really hoping to obtain a vanuatu exquisite wrasse, but I haven't even heard of anyone breeding wrasses, let alone exquisites!

Scott, if you could source a young CB green mandarin for me from somewhere, I would be willing to pay about $40 or so (not including shipping) assuming it's healthy - not that any fish you sell would not be! That'll be a few months down the road, but if you think you could do it, I'll know who to hit up when I'm ready ;)

Last edited:

scoobysnack77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking to buy an ORA Mandarin today. SO sad that people were too cheap not to pay the 40 bucks to get a captive bred fish if possible. No need to remove fish from the wild. The same people will buy a chalice or acro for hundreds of dollars that was cut from a captive grown coral lol. Im disappointed :(

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking to buy an ORA Mandarin today. SO sad that people were too cheap not to pay the 40 bucks to get a captive bred fish if possible. No need to remove fish from the wild. The same people will buy a chalice or acro for hundreds of dollars that was cut from a captive grown coral lol. Im disappointed :(

The mandarin has been successfully bred by hobbyists, as I recall, so hunting around for a fellow reefkeeper that raises the babies may pay off.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to toss in my cent about captive bred fish vs my tank. If I can get CB versions of what I want, I do. If I can't...well, I get wild ones. I do want to support captive breeding - I think it's a great thing - but while they ARE making great strides, there really isn't much variety yet. For example, I'm really hoping to obtain a vanuatu exquisite wrasse, but I haven't even heard of anyone breeding wrasses, let alone exquisites!

Scott, if you could source a young CB green mandarin for me from somewhere, I would be willing to pay about $40 or so (not including shipping) assuming it's healthy - not that any fish you sell would not be! That'll be a few months down the road, but if you think you could do it, I'll know who to hit up when I'm ready ;)

The good news..it looks like ORA has some new ones coming up! We'll see if we can grab them when they do become available!

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my ORA mandarin that I got years ago. He has been foraging for food in my reef tanks for years, and never gets a meal given to him directly. Purchased in early 2011.

60g-mandarin.jpg

Also, and ORA Fridmani dottyback (one of two I keep).

fridmani.jpg

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my ORA mandarin that I got years ago. He has been foraging for food in my reef tanks for years, and never gets a meal given to him directly. Purchased in early 2011.

60g-mandarin.jpg

Also, and ORA Fridmani dottyback (one of two I keep).

fridmani.jpg

Awesome pics, Marc! We need a FTS soon!

-Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting discussion, we have the same problems on the other side of the ocean..

I'm sure the problem is not limited to North America! In fact, I remember a similar frustration being levied by a colleague in the UK about the eco labeled fish, as well as a similar view in Asia.

The problem is that the biggest adjustment necessary is in the mind of the consumer, and that's the tough part.

Railcar79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But if it takes you purchasing 3 wild mandarins to get one that eats prepared food, vs. 1 captive bred one...was there really any savings?????

I have never had an issue with mandarins dying. I have had 4 since I started in salt, 1 in my current tank, the other 3 died in 2 seperate tank crashes over the years

scoobysnack77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome pics, Marc! We need a FTS soon!

-Scott
Gorgeous fish Scott!! Lemme kno when u get more captive bred specimens in and I'll buy one for sure. It's lee by the way from philly. Just spoke with u a week ago on the phone. Hope all is well bro. I just bought one of your acros from manhatten aquariums and they didn't know what kind of acro it is. Would you know?
image.jpg
image.jpg

Derwins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there companies which produced mandarins in 2013 ?
And,
are there private person , who made it ?

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, I recently had a fw fish die from a gut blockage (I know because I carefully opened him up after he died to find out why.) He lost a lot of weight in a shockingly short time. I wonder if, since they are very much benthic creatures, dragonets sometimes ingest substrate particles too big to pass? It could be that this is being mistaken for starvation death in some cases.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 11.4%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 46 27.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 47.0%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back