Where have all the captive-bred Mandarins gone?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm obviously fully in support of Scott's statements here, and let me preface this by saying I'm a person who's attempted breeding several Synchiropus sp. (but failed to find ultimate success) and obviously written about them having worked with all four common species, as well as having kept some of the ORA CB mandarins. I'm not a frequent poster on Reef2Reef by any stretch, but Scott nudged me as a friend to weigh in, and I'm always happy to oblidge Mr. Fellman...he's earned that respect from me!

I *think* what happened with the first ORA fish is that there is a difference between "eating prepared foods" vs. eating "ANY prepared foods". Having the "right" prepared food...specifically what the fish were feeding on, makes a big difference. And being little hummingbirds of the reef so to speak, it's entirely reasonable to think that stories of thin or undernourished ORA Mandarins may not actually be ORA's responsibility, but may very well have been the responsibility of the middleman, where these fish may have sat for days or weeks waiting to get to the hands of a hobbyist. Wild or captive bred, they can't survive long periods without food, and once any Mandarin starts down the path of starvation, it can be very difficult to reverse.
There is no middleman with ORA. LFS order direct from them. It was ORAs responsibility to send fat healthy Mandarins to their customers and they did not. We got small under nourished fish.

If people though about these CB mandarins more like CB seahorses, we'd probably still have good access to them. And in reality, that's part of the problem. As I wrote in CORAL Magazine, "Rethinking Dragonets" (CORAL Magazine Table of Contents Nov/Dec 2011), these are simply not fish that thrive in high current systems as a general rule. Sure, if the tank produces endless amounts of pods...food that can "stay put on a rock" long enough for the mandarin to find it, then yes, a mandarin may cope. But pellets and nutramar ova (nevermind other various frozen foods and shrimps) don't sink to the bottom and stay there in a high energy reef tank that's often specifically designed to "sweep away" particulates in the first place. Dragonets need time to find their food. Because of this reality, dragonets do far better in low flow tanks that let food rest on the bottom long enough to be found and consumed. And absolutely no, Dragonets do not require abundant copepods if they are properly trained onto prepared foods...they simply require frequent feeding. ORA didn't rear all those baby mandarins in tanks full of rubble with massive amounts of copepods...those babies only had prepared foods they were offered, when it was offered.
If these fish cannot adapt to life in an average hobbyists reef tank then what's the point?
Think about it - ORA didn't materialize their baby dragonets out of thin air...they HAD to use prepared foods in those bare bottom systems. We must put to bed the myth that the only way to be successful with Dragonets is simply endless copepods - far too many people blame their inability to keep dragonets on insufficient copepods, and I fear that makes it easier to personally justify the attempt and keeping, and the resultant failure, than when an aquarist takes the currently available information on prepared food feeding and makes a concientious, proactive effort to feed these fish as often as they need, with the proper prepared food.
Good luck with that. That type of thing is beyond the average hobbyists scope. You can't expect a casual reef keeper to spend hours trying to train a fish to eat.
And yes, I think Scott you kinda skipped the point that the initial introductions were closer to $100...although some shops were closer to $50 right off the bat, and I think you also downplay the retail value of WC mandarins in shops (typically closer to $25-$35 here), but for aquarists to respond saying that the premium price was not deserved is definitely unwarranted in my opinion....here's why:

On the one hand, ORA works their butts off to do something at commercial scale that is still tremendously difficult. They asked a fair price for their work, right here in the good 'ole USA. They produced a product that, even in the worst case point of view or worst experiences, was "no worse" than the wild caught fish in terms of husbandry and care (and in reality and my own personal experience, was far better).
The market begs to differ. The project failed because it was not a fair price and the mandarins did not eat as promised. I would not ask my customer to pay triple the price of something "that's no worse".
On the other hand, we can continue to harvest these fish at extremely cheap prices with mini spear guns (Mandarin Harvest Realities - Microcosm Aquarium Explorer) to the point at which there is scientific documentation of selective harvest pressure disrupting natural mating practices (http://www.biosch.hku.hk/ecology/porcupine/por23pdf/por23pdf.pdf), and documented local populations collapses (being no longer "commercially viable") due to overharvest (Early Development of the Mandarinfish, Synchiropus splendidus (Callionymidae), with notes on its Fishery and Potential for Culture - Springer). And this is NOT NEW NEWS...this has been documented since 2001, and yet nothing has really changed...with the loss of CB mandarins from ORA, we are right back where we started relying exclusively on wild harvested dragonets for the hobbyist.

Let that sink in - according to the information from Scott above, we failed to buy a captive bred fish at frankly a very affordable price, and now we no longer have that captive bred fish.
Affordable is a very subjective term here. A $50.00 fish is not affordable for some people.
So really, it's ORA's responsibility to somehow price compete with the cheap wild caught fish? Or is up to all of us to resist the urge to buy solely on the "surface" price.
Yes. They should have been priced within $5-10.00 of the wild caught.
ACC - I understand your experience in the shop, with ongoing demand for the ORA CB Mandarins and no supply, but I think perhaps it's too narrow an experience to say it represents the totality of the market. It may in fact be that the $100 price point was the actual point at which production of Mandarins produced the same profit for the same investment that clowns did...and when the retail price point was tough to move volumes even at $50, there was imply too little profit there to justify the expenditure. But, to say "Only ORA knows why they stopped" is perhaps misleading, given that Scott very clearly spelled out, per his conversation with ORA, exactly why they dropped the program. They weren't able to sell them at a price that justified continuing the project - that's right up there in the opening post. "...ultimately, retailers and consumers didn’t want to pay the much more expensive price for a captive-bred fish, and that they (ORA) did not see an economically viable way to keep producing them."

I suspect, and this is just my opinion, that aquarist are willing to spend colossal amounts of money for a tiny fleck of coral because they somehow believe that they can propagate that coral and later on recoup some or all of that investment. Meanwhile the propagation of fish is an entirely more difficult undertaking on every avenue...no profit potential for most any hobbyist, so no willingness to invest. f
The subject of designer corals, LE corals etc. is more about collecting, exclusivity, and the "look what I have" factor.
I just turn back to Scott's opening post and ask this point of view question - is it simply that we're only thinking of short term investment and not the long term ramifications of our purchases?

I realize of course, it's very hard at times to fork out extra when comparing what some may believe to be "apples to apples". I never could pay $100 for a refractometer at my LFS when the same exact make and model was $40 shipped to my door, no matter how much I valued my LFS and wanted to support them.
You and every other advanced hobbyist around. That's why LFS can't stay in biz.
But we're not talking dry goods and market efficiency; we're talking about captive bred fish vs. wild caught fish, and while they may be the same species on the surface, anyone who's done their homework knows there are scores of ways in which captive-bred fish win out over wild caught fish (less disease, adaptability, familiarity with captive life, lower mortality, shorter supply chains, fewer feeding problems...the list goes on
All of your mentioned benefits of a captive bred fish were absent from the ORA Mandarins.
Scott cites Bob Fenner as saying vote with your pocketbook...I don't doubt Bob said that, and it's obviously a convergent notion (or one I absorbed from him) since I've been asking aquarists to vote with their wallets since at least 2007. A long time back now, I discussed how I feel the balance of supply should change in the marine aquarium fish trade - Sustainable Collection vs. Captive Breeding ? Is There Room For Both? - in short, my view is that ultimately CB fish should be cheaper, but not because they are produced cheaply, but because wild fish should be far more expensive than they are currently. But even sustainably harvested wild caught marine fish, which WERE more expensive (I'm thinking PNG) failed to make the inroads necessary to remain economically viable.
With all due respect...are you high?
All the same, The FW aquarium trade shows us this this change in who buys what most certainly can happen, and perhaps we are already headed in that direction, albeit very slowly, and probably not for the proactive consumer-driven reasons we'd like to see, but rather because of changes in the supply of ultra-cheap wild fish. If there's one thing I've learned from sales - it's very easy to lower a price...it's very very hard to raise a price, unless consumers don't have a choice.

Scott, you mentioned the Assesors reared by ORA and the reason they work as CB fish is simple - they're not very available as WC fish, and when they are, they're expensive. So too with the various Red Sea Dottyback species. And so too with just about any non-native Seahorse species. This is the reality at hand...when wild caught fish are either too expensive, too rare, or simply aren't available, CB fish can often move in to fill the gap and they'll get a fair price. Why do we all buy captive-bred Black Ocellaris? Not because they're not swimming in the ocean, but rather because no collector wants to go back and get eaten by a saltwater crocodile. On the flipside, we have ONE collective shot at keeping Amphiprion mccullochi in the marine aquarium trade, because there are no collections of wild fish permitted. If insufficient people buy Mcc clownfish, regardless of price (not everyone can afford $300 at retail I understand), we will lose that species in the trade completely. Do YOU value the diversity of fish available to you? Then perhaps it's time to understand that buying wild caught fish isn't always the BEST choice. SOMETIMES it is (eg. good supply chains that created positive results), but SOMETIMES it is not.

Someone mentioned Banggai Cardinalfish - anyone who read our book knows that the fish remains listed on the IUCN Red List as and endangered species, and that the team went to areas where there should have been abundant populations of Banggais, and instead found far less than was expected. And yet you can still buy wild caught Banggais from some sources. I can say this as my personal opinion - at this time, no one should be buying and selling wild caught Banggai Cardinalfish...I don't care how much cheaper they are (nevermind that my local petco is purportedly selling Aquacultured Banggai Cardinalfish for now $9.99...was $15.99 not too long ago...I have to sell them at $15 wholesale just to make it worth my while). I'd encourage you to read Ret Talbot's half of the book to see precisely why I came to that conclusion (I used to think breeders should purchase wild caught Banggais for broodstock, and everyone else CB fish, but even that opinion has now changed). That "avoid WC" opinion may change, but to be blunt, that call to action has been around since 2007 if I'm not mistaken...why, 7 years later, with the fish still on the IUCN Red List, is it OK for folks to turn a blind eye or outright dismiss the science?

I think some people have a vested interest in the status quo, and are willing to ignore the obvious moral or ethical choices that I believe we're required to make in light of the information at hand. Then again, it's 2014 and we're still dealing with climate change as if it's not happening and dinosaurs roamed the earth only 5,000 years ago...so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that not everyone can see the obvious even when it's spelled out in front of them....

I hope ORA finds a way to revisit Synchiropus production...it was a shining beacon in their offerings and I'm very sad to hear they've been dropped.

See my responses above in red. Clearly someone who is a breeder and has been associated with ORA will have a heavily biased opinion on this subject. I don't think it benefits anyone to support a product that is too expensive and time consuming to produce, cannot be sold at at competitive price, and does not work as intended. It's just bad business. At the end of the day, that's what this is all about.

Derwins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my opinion(notice) and my personal experience..
I have two couples of mandarins, one been born in captivity ( lautan production) and one other wild capture..
one in a spécific tank , and an another mixed with other fishes.
All eat pellets (discusfood tetra), naturally,i think they have to find food living in tanks, but even of night, I see not much microfauna..not enough to feed them
The born mandarins at my home(with me) ate granules at the end of 70 / 80 days but they preferred the alive food also.

The breeders should make a price balanced with easy fishes, as the clowns,... in this way, they could sell their fishes without loss of income by proposing "mixed packs.".
Fishes clowns reproduce as rabbits, but why of such price differences between clowns' various varieties? Snow onyx is more expensively to produce that wild-typical ocellaris?. No, naturally..
they just play on the supply and demand, but for mandarins, they are not able of producing if only 1 % of the demand(request)..so they do not thus make the effort because easy fish make more money ..

Derwins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i do not throw the first stone and blame someone ;I did the same thing..
I breed the mandarins for the challenge, and pride to make a cross for this species as "i did it ..so nextchallenge : seahorses .. "
But in my small apartment, it is simpler and lucrativ to breed clownfishes .

maybe the same thing whit the limefish , i'll never saw CB lime fish in the market ..but some people have bred them .

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I surprised that they are doing so well on what you said you feed them o_O Cool! Still, it looks to me like the adults are just a little too thin. Try adding new life spectrum pellets - I want to see how it works for you, and I know they are better than tetra.

Last edited:

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a fish at petco being sold as a scooter, but it HAD to be a mandarin/scooter hybrid with the gorgeous blue on his face.

It gets me wondering what a cross the red wine (I've also seen them sold as ruby reds) and mandarin would make. Not that I'm recommending doing that. It just piques my curiousity.

mpedersen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my ORA mandarin that I got years ago. He has been foraging for food in my reef tanks for years, and never gets a meal given to him directly. Purchased in early 2011.

Having rarely seen healthy mandarins in high energy reef tanks, I do know yours is the exception Marc. But I also wonder...these fish aren't exactly stupid. If you have areas of low flow in crevices where uneaten food can collect, it would not surprise me at all that fish like mandarins would learn of, and exploit, such a resource in the tank. Of course, you are also the man responsible for the Mandarin Diner...so I think you know all too well the value of target feeding your mandarins.

I want to toss in my cent about captive bred fish vs my tank. If I can get CB versions of what I want, I do. If I can't...well, I get wild ones. I do want to support captive breeding - I think it's a great thing - but while they ARE making great strides, there really isn't much variety yet. For example, I'm really hoping to obtain a vanuatu exquisite wrasse, but I haven't even heard of anyone breeding wrasses, let alone exquisites!

Actually Eienna, I beg to differ on "variety". The species list count is now huge, above 250, but of course not all 250 are being produced, and that goes right back to the economics of breeding. You will be interested to know that after decades of effort on dozens of species, Wen Ping Su of Bali Aquarich succeeded in the first documented, proven breeding of a pelagic spawning tropical wrasse only this past year (2013). It happened to be the Cleaner Wrasse no less, and was done by accident. You'll definitely want to check out CORAL Magazine's 2014 Captive Bred Marine Fish List - CORAL Magazine?s Captive Bred Marine Fish Species List for

See my responses above in red.

I'll certainly respond to them in a moment:

Clearly someone who is a breeder and has been associated with ORA will have a heavily biased opinion on this subject.

I am a breeder, yes. But I'm going to ask you to elaborate on the "association with ORA"....what is the connection you are implying? Do I have a communicative relationship with ORA - you bet I do.

Do I have a stake in their company? Am I an employee? No.

So of this bias - am I biased towards captive bred fish? It'd probably be foolish to say I'm not, but then again, many people in years past have suggested that I am actually anti-wild fish, because (as the logic suggests) breeders would see a windfall if wild fish dried up.

Such a scenario is true, in so much as when we lose access to desirable wild fish, and captive bred ones are available, the price skyrockets. I'm thinking of the Imperial Zebra Pleco, L46, which started as WC around $150, was driven down to as cheap as $29 at retail, until Brazil halted exports, at which point the fish, when obtainable through captive breeders, is generally anywhere from $200 to $400 at retail. I'm not saying this is what SHOULD happen with marine fish and breeding, I'm just acknowledging this is what CAN happen. People soon forget that breeders NEED broodstock, we NEED wild caught fish....we would be shooting ourselves in the foot to encourage the closure of wild harvest.

So to address the issue of bias, my only real bias is one in which I attempt to see both sides of things, and I speak from a personal opinion and viewpoint and certainly don't speak for everyone.

I don't think it benefits anyone to support a product that is too expensive and time consuming to produce, cannot be sold at at competitive price, and does not work as intended. It's just bad business. At the end of the day, that's what this is all about.

Well, this is a matter of opinion, and I must go back to my initial response, which is that mandarins are, based on the science, not being harvested in a sustainable fashion, and thus, the pricing is artificially low on WC fish. This is far worse business, and it is this which makes the other fish (be they sustainably harvested, higher quality supply chains, or captive bred) appear to be "too expensive" and not sold at a "competitive price". Or to use the Banggai as the example...is it really right that the fisher gets paid $0.05 per fish, while the retail value is somewhere around $20 still? Is it really that captive-bred Banggais are "too expensive", or is it that the wild caught Banggais are too cheap? I certainly believe the latter, and the proven overharvest of the species tells me that things are out of whack and that the wild caught price is an improper, irresponsible benchmark.

And to circle back to "does not work as intended", one of the other respondents went a step beyond my own response to reiterate a point I had made, and that is simply that "eating prepared foods" isn't the end story here...these (like Seahorses) are fish with special needs...just because they're captive-bred, we should never assume them to be foolproof or idiotproof...that's hoping for far too much of a fundamental change in biology - it's not realistic.

So, to your points:

There is no middleman with ORA. LFS order direct from them. It was ORAs responsibility to send fat healthy Mandarins to their customers and they did not. We got small under nourished fish.

Your experiences may simply be different than mine, but I did receive a pair of Spotted Mandarins directly from ORA and they were fat and healthy.

There are certainly middlemen in this world; ORA would not have had issues with wild caught fish being passed off as captivebred by ORA if the ONLY way to ever get your hands on an ORA fish was to buy it DIRECTLY from them.

And still, even if I'm to believe that not a single wholesaler in the country has ORA fish, there are still middle men responsible for these fish before they get to the hobbyist...they're called retailers, aka LFSs, but ALSO the online livestock vendors. How long did these fish sit in these pitstops and degrade before reaching the end consumer? Baby marine fish, mandarins in particular, are certainly in a position to go downhill fast without proper care. I strongly believe that more of the problems experienced with them were due to improper care after the fact...eg. not having the right foods on hand, not feeding several times per day...and things go downhill very fast. Life in the chain of custody is simply very rough on fish...and fish like Mandarins suffer much more greatly than others.

And the other side is this - it's simply illogical that ORA would send out under-nourished fish; the only way I could see that occurring is if the fish sat too long in the holding and packing areas and were somehow improperly cared for at that time. Bottom line, it's not in their best interest to send out garbage, particularly of something so high-profile, so between my experiences as a mandarin breeder and keeper, as well as having had their fish, I believe that middleman care was far more of an issue....folks were simply unprepared and made false assumptions.

I would argue that the notion that it was "only the first fish they shipped" that had these problems was indicative of a learning curve - somewhere along the way one or more people made mistakes, and things had to be adjusted. The "not eating" problems were not an ongoing full time complaint with these fish..so was it ORA, was it the hobby in general realizing they had unrealistic expectations...I can't say. Maybe ORA found that the fish had to be reared even longer before they could safely be put into the market (point the finger at whomever you like...doesn't really change the results)

If these fish cannot adapt to life in an average hobbyists reef tank then what's the point?

Would you say that about captive-bred Seahorses????

This isn't about turning a dragonet into a guppy, this is about bringing to bear the benefits of captive breeding, which I already spelled out, and which you already believe these fish didn't have. Differences of opinion or experience aside, as I cited prior, it's about not having research showing functional commercial collapses of individual mandarin fisheries due to our demand. It's about fewer mortalities at every step along the way. It's about a hobbyist taking less of a gamble on a difficult to care for fish; it's about bringing every advantage you can to the table. And lets' remember, as aquarists I believe the vast majority are far more willing to talk about their successes and quietly not discuss their failures...so for every "my mandarin does fine in my reef tank" post I read, I have to wonder a) how my many were harvested, b) how many died in a long chain of custody, c) how many were starving and emaciated by the time they reached the consumer, and d) how many hobbyists had their mandarins die and simply said nothing about it.

There is a tipping point in all of this, and I firmly believe that the captive-bred mandarin is a far more intelligent gamble than a wild caught one. But they're never going to be beginner fish...no way, nor should they be.

Regarding my insistence that hobbyists should work to train their WC Dragonets, you wrote:

Good luck with that. That type of thing is beyond the average hobbyists scope. You can't expect a casual reef keeper to spend hours trying to train a fish to eat.

Well...I beyond simply disagree, this is just wrong. First, I've published the info in CORAL, and I'm happy to reiterate the methodologies I used that produced very consistent results. It was not, as you put it, a matter of "hours" trying to rain a fish to eat...it's actually a matter of MONTHS in terms of time it takes, but it is NOT hours per day as you imply.

But side step all of that, and let me be characteristically blunt. If the "average hobbyist" lacks the "scope" (time, effort, resources) to properly train a fish to eat (or give it long term successful husbandry), then the "average hobbyist" has no business trying to keep the fish in the first place.

Regarding your response to my claim that the price for ORA's fish was fair, you responded:

The market begs to differ. The project failed because it was not a fair price and the mandarins did not eat as promised. I would not ask my customer to pay triple the price of something "that's no worse".

Again, you had one experience, I had another in terms of eating; I won't beat that dead horse further. You are entitled to your opinion that the price, as you suggest "3 times more than wild caught", was not fair, framing that against my statement that the fish was "no worse than wild caught"...but you left out my qualification that it was at worst, "no worse in terms of care or husbandry". Even if you consider these fish exactly the same in terms of care, husbandry, and ability to survive in captivity, you are ignoring all those OTHER differences I mentioned and the problems with the wild fishery in years past. So even if the fish is going to be just as hard to care for as a wild one, it is still BETTER (in my opinion) than a wild one because of all the other benefits that a wild fish can never have, nevermind again, that the wild price is, in my opinion based on the scientific literature referenced, artificially low due to what has been shown to be unsustainable fishing practices and a generally massive volume and demand.

Affordable is a very subjective term here. A $50.00 fish is not affordable for some people.

Given that most marine fish retail in the $25-$50 ball park, and most corals (other than small frags from hobbyists) are typically in that price range too, I kinda circle around again to the notion that such a person has no business (in my opinion) having the fish in the first place....and probably shouldn't even be in the marine aquarium hobby, given that even the most barebones setups can often cost hundreds of dollars before you consider the monthly expenditures. I can't even really be apologetic if someone finds that viewpoint offensive...it's just math here.

I understand the semantic point you're making, but you really have to frame it against reality....$25 vs. $40 is not a big difference in terms of investment. If a $25 wild caught mandarin took two weeks to save, vs. a $50 captive-bred mandarin taking a month to save up for, the $50 captive bred mandarins is still the better deal top to bottom.

Regarding ORA's "responsibility" in terms of pricing, you felt that:

Yes. They should have been priced within $5-10.00 of the wild caught.

Well, as was publicly posted elsewhere, when you're selling the fish at a net loss, no, they should not have been $5-$10 within the range of the wild caught fish. It does not take the same amount of resources and time to get a wild mandarin to you vs. a captive bred one. They shouldn't cost the same. Now, maybe a captive-breeding project for mandarins might be better operated in an island nation where resource and labor costs are different...that might be the solution to the pricing problem. But the fish cost what they cost when they're reared here. It's why I cannot bring myself to invest anything in breeding Banggais...it makes no economic sense given the artificially low retail pricing that's out there. Companies like ORA are not non-profits....

I have to quote my statement verbatim, followed by your response, so there is no confusion:

"I realize of course, it's very hard at times to fork out extra when comparing what some may believe to be "apples to apples". I never could pay $100 for a refractometer at my LFS when the same exact make and model was $40 shipped to my door, no matter how much I valued my LFS and wanted to support them."

You and every other advanced hobbyist around. That's why LFS can't stay in biz.
What does this have to do with "advanced hobbyists"? This has to do with ANY consumer who has an internet connection or a smartphone. And again, I'll be blunt, this is not an apple to pear comparison of a captive bred vs. wild caught mandarin from the same vendor - this is an apples to apples, the exact same manufactured product from the exact some producer, with an inordinate price differential. I mean jeeze, I even told the shop owner, who was a friend of mine, that there were some things like that which I simply couldn't purchase from him. But that doesn't mean I didn't spend my money with that LFS.

Realistically, although you didn't ask my opinion, I'll offer it to any retailer who cares to hear it and think it over. Equipment is not the money maker...you cannot compete against the online / mail order venues. Invest your money into livestock, because as fantastic as some online vendors are, most people are still terribly averse to purchasing fish and coral over the internet. The stores that I see thriving do not have massively stocked shelves, they have extensively stocked tanks.

And to extrapolate that - it's in your best interest to sell quality livestock that may cost more, and you owe it to yourself and your customers to explain why. Kathy alluded to the problem at retail...the fish and animals do not sell themselves....that's how it's done online. IT is the knowledge and the service, the quality and the fact that the fish /coral is there right in front of your customer, that sets you apart. It takes salesmanship and stewardship. At the end of the day though, it's real simple. That $50 captive bred mandarin = more profit per fish sold. No one can tell me they were WORSE than any wild caught fish, so even if they were no better, they were still different and commanded a higher price (and thus, higher profits) because of it. You raced yourself to the bottom when you felt that a $25 mandarin was the better thing to offer.

The subject of designer corals, LE corals etc. is more about collecting, exclusivity, and the "look what I have" factor.

SMH....if that's what it really is, well, it was the exact same thing for captive-bred mandarins. Oh my god, I got a CB mandarin. Check out my ORA Mandarin. Look back to all the people wanting them who said they couldn't get them....if that doesn't smack of pent up demand, I don't know what does. So no, I dont' believe it's simply a 'keeping up with the Jones'"...I firmly believe it's the propagation factor, the $ $ eyes (Dollar-Sign Eyes - I must trademark that for my challice introduction later next month...)

With all due respect...are you high?

Skipping over a couple of your points because I already addressed them, I assume you are referring to my overarching stance that wild caught fish should cost more. No, I'm not high.

No, anytime I hear over collection and cheap applied to a species, that means the price is too low for the resource. Banggais, Mandarins easily fall into those categories, both with scientific documentation. They are absolutely too cheap as wild caught fish, and cheap has all sorts of additional bad things that come with it (less care given per fish for starters).

I'm not going to get overly into it, but I'll first point you to the freshwater trade. Bred fish are the cheap ones, wild fish command top dollar. The entire fishery and industry is FLIPPED from the marine one. Breeding and fish farming happens around the globe and provides tons of economic power to often less developed nations. Wild freshwater fish, being generally more expensive, tend to go to people who can't view them as disposable (it's really easy to watch a $0.25 goldfish, or a $2.99 betta, die in a bowl. It's entire different to think the same person would be comfortable spending $39.99 for a wild pair of Betta mahachaiensis, and another $40 in shipping, to watch THOSE FISH just die in a bowl and not be broken up about it). The "average" hobbyist in the freshwater trade is likely ONLY buying captive bred fish anyway...and those fish are produced at prices that are certainly affordable, but no doubt in part because there aren't stupidly cheap wild caught versions competing for their dollars.

So as it pertains to Marine fish, please read Ret Talbot's latest article, released earlier today - Marine Aquarium Trade: A Force for Good in Saving Coral Reef

The paper Ret's article covers, published as well today by Rhyne et. al. includes this particularly juicy example of the marine aquarium trade and hits directly to my point of price on wild fish, so I'm going to excerpt it here (since finding a copy of the paper itself might be difficult if it's not freely available).

"Another example of over supply and its influence over price and quality in the MAT is the flame angelfish (Centropyge loricula) and the Pacific island nation of Kiribati. The aquarium trade is the most highly valued export product of Christmas Island and thus represents an important source of income to an extremely remote island community. The key aquarium fish export from Kiribati is the flame angelfish, which developed as a high price, low volume fishery in the 1980s and slowly shifted into a high volume low price fishery by the mid 1990s [10,29]. Until recently price and supply was only controlled by market forces (both air freight availably and the number of exporters). The result was a large increase in production and a sharp decrease in quality of fish that corresponded to a devaluing of the fishery, with fisherman were catching twice as many fish for the same income. More recently an export quota has been put in place to reduce supply and increase the export price and value of the fishery."

My takeaway - cheap wild fish benefit no one, and certainly not the fish.

mpedersen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a fish at petco being sold as a scooter, but it HAD to be a mandarin/scooter hybrid with the gorgeous blue on his face.

Blue on the face of a scooter = likely simply a nice male you saw. Did it look like this?

DSCN5498.jpg

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of, but there was even more blue. I could swear the thing had mandarin cheeks. If you're right, though, I must say I never knew the male scooters possessed so much color!

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt, You make some very good points. I appreciate the work you and all other marine breeders have invested into our hobby to learn and grow the ability to breed marine fish.

Personally since I have no intentions at this time on becoming a breeder at this time, I look for captive bred when at all possible. My clownfish are captive bred. I have wanted to get a pair of Bangaiis but I 100% refuse to purchase wild caught bangaiis due to their wild population state. If they are able to be bred captive, the wild collection should stop for retail sale or at least slow way down. It is the ethical thing to do and if ethics cost me money then I would choose ethics over economics. (This is why I hate politics)

I try my best to do everything following the ethical and sustainable approach. I can say that I have zero wild caught corals in my tank. They are all at least one generation captive grown. Fish are harder, but it is getting better. If we as hobbiests embrace this, we could say the same thing about our fish as we can with corals.

We as a group hate the chop shop reef destroying vendors that shill out fresh cut frags by the hundreds that have been pulled off the reef not too long ago... Why don't we have the same reaction to those who capture fish by the hundreds or thousands with sketchy tactics and low survivability rates? We end up trashing companies whose corals die within days of entering our tanks and support those who deliver quality products consistently. So if a quality product exists out there, even if it is more expensive, we should be going that route and supporting the quality fish that are available to us.

Rant over...

cortez marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
support for net caught or captive raised fish??

Guys.....in the early 80's when we made all net caught fish from the Philippines a reality.....it got little support....Today it STILL gets little support....Thats 30 years of non support for the right way of doing it.....and I mean blue tangs, angelfishes and the stuff that really mattered on the reef. Hoping for a change in the mindset of covetous, penny pinching non environmentally aware or involved hobbyists is a failed strategy from the start.
I have a "netcaught only" shop and we refuse to handle cyanide fishes and unsuitable species....It is held against us every day. Hobbyists 10-1 want fast color, flash and dash....And they want it cheap.
The more consciencious among them is a distinct minority and hardly 5% at that Basing a business plan on that 5% is not a good idea.
Educate them? You mean put them to sleep? 2 minute attention span on non coveting questions.How much...how much....how much.....? We dont talk up netcaught much as we dont want to alienate the customer....The less we speak of moral issue and reef conservation....the more fish we sell.

Good reef management and conservation cannot be held hostage to the market mobs mentality..... Only failed and unenlightened conservationists still believe in market driven environmentalism. This aint charismatic dolphin safe tuna...
Esoteric, complicated egg headed solutions only work among your own enlightened fellows....not the mob.
You must not do what you do not for their approval as if its 10% more in cost, they will not give it. Do YOU not understand your own culture?
We are the walmart nation and we fake our virtue while supporting the opposite.

For us; Netcaught fish are good for the benefit of the nations coral reefs ....not the "budget minded" hobbyist.
Tank raised fish? The same.

cortez marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
blind leading the blind

Guys,
As the company that has killed more marine livestock in the US and perhaps the world, Petco is in need of an image makeover.
[They have also killed more tank raised clownfish than any company in the US.]

Joining forces with a wildlife group WHOS SPECIALTY IS RAISING MONEY FOR ITSELF SO IT CAN RAISE MORE MONEY FOR ITSELF....they are perfectly matched and hope to combine their lack of virtue and achievement to burnish each others images . Not since the WWF peddled ec0-credentials to Walmart in a similar eco-daisychain of mutual benefit has such a sell out of the environment been attempted.

This may fool eco-newbies and innocents but will do nothing for the environment and only increase the plunder of wildcaught anemones to go with the "ecologically responsible" tank raised clownfish....[ clownfish represent the huge % of cultured fishes and the extraction of these wild anemones promote the wipe out generations of wild clownfish...

The shallower the environmental thinking.... the more token and simplistic the solutions we see proposed. Public relations types came up with this and it should fool no one.
If Petco wants to help the marine environment....they should close down their saltwater departments.

Scubanj1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! What an interesting and informative thread. Thank you for the post and for all of the conversation. It's truly fascinating and informative.

I am a relative newbie to the hobby (about a year with a 75g fish only tank and currently about 2 months into an upgrade to a 150g reef tank). I typically lurk around these forums reading, learning and generally soaking it all in but thought I would chime in here as there is a lot of great dialogue from a lot of really experienced people, and I figured I would try and add a 'newbie perspective'. For whatever that might be worth.

I first got drawn to this hobby because of my passion for the ocean and the beauty and diversity that lies beneath its surface. So with that said I am almost ashamed to admit that focusing my buying habits on sustainable resources as a way to help the hobby, the animals and the ocean has not been something I really gave much thought to. Until now. I'm sure it is frustrating for those vendors that care deeply about the topics discussed here to have to pander to a solely price driven market , but there is an old quote that says "Never believe that a few caring people cannot change the world. For indeed, that's all who ever have." By continuing this dialogue in an open forum, both here and in the stores and at the shows I am sure many eyes are opening while they read this. Like mine...

I also wanted to briefly touch on the topic of being an educated consumer and where and why we buy. Or at least where and why I buy. I consider myself a "demanding" customer, but not unreasonably so (I like to think). Since starting my new tank I have spent a lot of my weekends driving an hour or more to various LFS stores in and around my home state of New Jersey to try and find a few that I am comfortable making my regular store. Personally, I like to "touch and see" what I'm going to buy. However, more importantly for me getting in this hobby, I want to be able to ask questions and get comfortable with who I'm buying from. To know I can trust and respect the opinions and advice of the store, and ensure they have the same passion and dedication to the overall hobby that I am developing. Maybe I'm in the minority but this is an expensive hobby, so I find it hard to believe people get into the saltwater side of it lightly and without some thinking and caring about topics like these. So don't give up on us consumers just yet. I want to believe that stores that care about these topics and try to do some "responsible selling" (for lack of a better term) and educating well, and can show us uninitiated why it's worth paying a bit more, will help drive change in the overall hobby. Those few caring voices....

So Scott, with this thread you have convinced me of two things, one intended and one, I'm sure, unintended. I will now be asking the right questions and buying much more responsibly as often as I can, paying a higher price if need be in order to meet that goal. And with your 'rant' here and others I have been reading from you in other threads now, you have clearly shown me the most important traits I have been looking for in a trusted source of fish and coral, a knowledgeable, patient, dedicated and caring hobbiest. So consider me a new customer of Unique Corals, I will be placing my first order soon! Thanks for both things with this wonderful thread.

-BL

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! What an interesting and informative thread. Thank you for the post and for all of the conversation. It's truly fascinating and informative.

I am a relative newbie to the hobby (about a year with a 75g fish only tank and currently about 2 months into an upgrade to a 150g reef tank). I typically lurk around these forums reading, learning and generally soaking it all in but thought I would chime in here as there is a lot of great dialogue from a lot of really experienced people, and I figured I would try and add a 'newbie perspective'. For whatever that might be worth.

I first got drawn to this hobby because of my passion for the ocean and the beauty and diversity that lies beneath its surface. So with that said I am almost ashamed to admit that focusing my buying habits on sustainable resources as a way to help the hobby, the animals and the ocean has not been something I really gave much thought to. Until now. I'm sure it is frustrating for those vendors that care deeply about the topics discussed here to have to pander to a solely price driven market , but there is an old quote that says "Never believe that a few caring people cannot change the world. For indeed, that's all who ever have." By continuing this dialogue in an open forum, both here and in the stores and at the shows I am sure many eyes are opening while they read this. Like mine...

I also wanted to briefly touch on the topic of being an educated consumer and where and why we buy. Or at least where and why I buy. I consider myself a "demanding" customer, but not unreasonably so (I like to think). Since starting my new tank I have spent a lot of my weekends driving an hour or more to various LFS stores in and around my home state of New Jersey to try and find a few that I am comfortable making my regular store. Personally, I like to "touch and see" what I'm going to buy. However, more importantly for me getting in this hobby, I want to be able to ask questions and get comfortable with who I'm buying from. To know I can trust and respect the opinions and advice of the store, and ensure they have the same passion and dedication to the overall hobby that I am developing. Maybe I'm in the minority but this is an expensive hobby, so I find it hard to believe people get into the saltwater side of it lightly and without some thinking and caring about topics like these. So don't give up on us consumers just yet. I want to believe that stores that care about these topics and try to do some "responsible selling" (for lack of a better term) and educating well, and can show us uninitiated why it's worth paying a bit more, will help drive change in the overall hobby. Those few caring voices....

So Scott, with this thread you have convinced me of two things, one intended and one, I'm sure, unintended. I will now be asking the right questions and buying much more responsibly as often as I can, paying a higher price if need be in order to meet that goal. And with your 'rant' here and others I have been reading from you in other threads now, you have clearly shown me the most important traits I have been looking for in a trusted source of fish and coral, a knowledgeable, patient, dedicated and caring hobbiest. So consider me a new customer of Unique Corals, I will be placing my first order soon! Thanks for both things with this wonderful thread.

-BL

Thanks BL, for the kind words. You summed it up well- hobbyists must ask lots of questions, and demand more of both him/herself and the industry. It's great that you are supporting some LFS's in your area- NJ has some of the best stores in the country, IMHO! I believe that we all owe it to ourselves and the hobby to speak our mind now and then! I am very appreciative that you have enough confidence in myself and the team hear at UC to consider purchasing from us. Thanks.
-Scott

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.2%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.1%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 74 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back