Which wrasse to add for Reefer 250?

TatorTaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I already have an adult Yellow "Coris" Wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus) and would like to add one more open water swimmer - either a Tricolor Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus lubbocki) or a McCosker's Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus mccoskeri).

Current stock:
Yellow Wrasse
ORA Mandarin
Banggai Cardinalfish
Royal Gramma
Yellow Watchman Goby

I also plan to add a Tail Spot Blenny and another Banggai Cardinalfish. Let me know if you you'd recommend an alternate addition!

Is one wrasse more appropriate and likely to succeed than the other?

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott’s get huge, and like tcook said, they are agressive.

A small Lubbocki might work

OP
OP
T

TatorTaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Scott’s is an aggressive wrase and they tend to fade in captivity. I assume you have sand with the chrysus. Maybe consider a leopard
It’ll compete too much with my mandarin for pods. Right?

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’ll compete too much with my mandarin for pods. Right?
Leopards in tge wild eat small crustaceans and snails, not do much copepods. They may pick at these if abundant in the aquarium but will readily eat mysis, eggs, and other meaty foods using there nice teeth. Won’t need to worry sbout the mandarin. In fact @i cant think kerps a mandarin with his wrasse menagerie I believe and maybe @Slocke as well.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopards in tge wild eat small crustaceans and snails, not do much copepods. They may pick at these if abundant in the aquarium but will readily eat mysis, eggs, and other meaty foods using there nice teeth. Won’t need to worry sbout the mandarin. In fact @i cant think kerps a mandarin with his wrasse menagerie I believe and maybe @Slocke as well.
Yep
But it’s a captive bred mandarin

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I need to rehome it once it became an adult?
Truthfully, I would avoid putting a big bull in a small tank. There are many beautiful fairy and flasher wrasses to look at that would get pounded on by the Scott’s. Also look at some of the halichoeres like the radiant, babi and earmuff. They will make you forget all anout Scott and his wrasse.

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know!

Copepods became strangely absent after my leopard and H. chrysus were introduced. Maybe they wisened up and stay off the glass now.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know!

Copepods became strangely absent after my leopard and H. chrysus were introduced. Maybe they wisened up and stay off the glass now.
And then there’s that! All bets are off with an easy meal. Not sure if @i cant think mandarin is captive bread as that may make the difference. I’ll hand off that issue to him and @Slocke as I’ve never kept a mandarin.

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And then there’s that! All bets are off with an easy meal. Not sure if @i cant think mandarin is captive bread as that may make the difference. I’ll hand off that issue to him and @Slocke as I’ve never kept a mandarin.
Got pods from Dinkins yesterday and drove back to the office at 11pm to add them after all fish were asleep. Pinkies were cocooned and leopard/yellow in the sand. After an hour they were crawling all over the glass. Was just thinking to myself "oh, let's see how cavalier you are when the pinkies wake up."

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will either of these 2 be a good fit for my tank?

Tricolor Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus lubbocki)
McCosker's Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus mccoskeri).
My preference would be a lubbocki. You've got ~50gal DT volume with 3ft length, if I'm not mistaken. Flashers are a bit more zoomy and benefit from more length, and lubbocki are one of the more permissive fairies in terms of tank size:
1716088300041.png

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine tiny however she is a wild caught that’s feeding on frozen.

I have her with my smaller gang;
The Blue Star Leopard, Radiant (she’s only in that tank because I can’t remove her easily), and Pink Streak. I generally dose pods every week but there’s been a few times the tank will go a month without pods. I also have several gobies which munch on pods in that tank and yet the mandarin remains fat and happy.
In terms of my tank size, the volume is less than 25G but my dimensions are weird; 3’x16”x1’.

OP
OP
T

TatorTaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My preference would be a lubbocki. You've got ~50gal DT volume with 3ft length, if I'm not mistaken. Flashers are a bit more zoomy and benefit from more length, and lubbocki are one of the more permissive fairies in terms of tank size:
1716088300041.png
I complete forgot about that flow chart existing!

Thank you for helping me find the right wrasse for my tank. I’ll def get the Tricolor Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus lubbocki) then.

Back