Why can't I raise my Magnesium levels?

Araona

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I'm really confused as to why my Magnesium levels are so low, they are currently reading at 1020ppm and I've checked them twice with a salifert kit. I've just dosed red sea magnesium to raise the Mg levels by 20ppm,waited 15 minutes and tested again and absolutely no change! The freshly made saltwater made with red sea blue bucket is also coming out at 1020,what am I doing wrong?!

Other paramaters:
KH 9
Ca 395
Salinity 1.026 (just calibrated as well)

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait at least 24 hours before testing again because it can take that long to disburse in the tank. I would maybe take your water into a LFS or get a different testing kit to double-check the results, because unless you have a really bad batch - the magnesium in the Red Sea salt should be a lot higher.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I'm really confused as to why my Magnesium levels are so low, they are currently reading at 1020ppm and I've checked them twice with a salifert kit. I've just dosed red sea magnesium to raise the Mg levels by 20ppm,waited 15 minutes and tested again and absolutely no change! The freshly made saltwater made with red sea blue bucket is also coming out at 1020,what am I doing wrong?!

Other paramaters:
KH 9
Ca 395
You are either reading the test incorrectly or the test is faulty.

Double check the instructions. Are you perhaps reading the test backwards? I.e. amount left vs amount used from the syringe?

OP
OP
A

Araona

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait at least 24 hours before testing again because it can take that long to disburse in the tank. I would maybe take your water into a LFS or get a different testing kit to double-check the results, because unless you have a really bad batch - the magnesium in the Red Sea salt should be a lot higher.
Yeah it's meant to be a lot higher than this, I will check it again tomorrow

OP
OP
A

Araona

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are either reading the test incorrectly or the test is faulty.

Double check the instructions. Are you perhaps reading the test backwards? I.e. amount left vs amount used from the syringe?
Just double checked and no I am doing it right, I'm a scientist by profession so I'm pretty meticulous about testing instructions but it could possibly be a bad test, might be a good idea to try a different kit maybe

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The kits can be off, and a slightly different procedure can produce different readings.

As a baseline, that number sounds pretty low (though maybe less so with some salts), but I would both try and check your water with something else (lfs or friend test, icp, etc.) And then recheck your math on your magnesium supplement. If you mix it from dry, it's probably worth rereading the directions to make sure what you were dosing was the right strength.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Other paramaters:
KH 9
Ca 395
Mag tests are a bit wobbly and I’m not surprised it’s not sensitive enough to pick up a 20ppm increase to be honest.
How are you calibrating your chosen salinity testing method?
Is the calcium and alkalinity in the new saltwater coming out at what it’s supposed to, or are they low also?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Other paramaters:
KH 9
Ca 395

I agree that test error is by far the most likely explanation, even if the test procedure is followed exactly.
Low salinity is another, but if yours is correct, that's not the explanation.

A 20 ppm boost will be hard to detect by kit.

OP
OP
A

Araona

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mag tests are a bit wobbly and I’m not surprised it’s not sensitive enough to pick up a 20ppm increase to be honest.
How are you calibrating your chosen salinity testing method?
Is the calcium and alkalinity in the new saltwater coming out at what it’s supposed to, or are they low also?
I am using a refractometer with calibration fluid at 35ppt.
I haven't checked those on the new saltwater, got too distracted by the magnesium, I'll do it later and see!

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are your corals looking?

OP
OP
A

Araona

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are your corals looking?
They're all looking fine, there's a tiny patch of the green star polyp that has gone a darker colour and not opened up but everything else looks good and we've got all sorts in there

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
like you said above might be a good time to test with a different kit. Prolly no rush since things are looking good and you are dosing mag.

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have corals in the tank, will that not stress them if I raise by such a large amount?
It’s my understanding that around 1500 is where corals and snails start getting unhappy.

Thumbster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Other paramaters:
KH 9
Ca 395
How are you mixing your saltwater?

I know a guy who was adding the salt first then adding the water and it made the levels really low because it precipitated out.

Some people I tell you.

OP
OP
A

Araona

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you mixing your saltwater?

I know a guy who was adding the salt first then adding the water and it made the levels really low because it precipitated out.

Some people I tell you.
Yeah water first then salt with a powerhead and heater on, seems the most logic way!

OP
OP
A

Araona

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar problem and it turned out ti be a bad test. I waited too long to buy another test and ended up having really high mag levels in the tank.

Get a new test.
Thanks I am going to go tomorrow morning and get one!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back