Wife Impulse Bought | Where do I place or do I trade?

Zaxh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my wife went to my LFS without me and thought it would be a nice gesture to come back with something that pops! She decided to buy a green/blue wall hammer about the length of 3/4ths of a pencil. I already have branching hammers but after researching I see that wall hammers especially this size aren't the best suited for a tank in my size.

I do want to keep this wall hammer, and my tank from Blue Friday is coming and will be set up in the next month or so, so I was wondering where I could place this hammer in my tank. I can't keep it on the sand as the polyps touch low. Any ideas?

(Excuse the mess, I just dosed my tank with phyto.)

IMG_3446.PNG IMG_3447.PNG IMG_3448.PNG IMG_3449.PNG

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be ok there for a month or get some flat rock rubble and raise it a bit

OP
OP
Zaxh

Zaxh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd definitely keep it. Wall hammers are not common
Not too sure if it’s still acclimating. My other hammer polyps are fully extended while this one is closed up. Kind of worried as I can see the skeleton (lights turned off 10min ago, so it retracted)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 57

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not too sure if it’s still acclimating. My other hammer polyps are fully extended while this one is closed up. Kind of worried as I can see the skeleton (lights turned off 10min ago, so it retracted)

I think it looks fine

santeeeyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When she picked it up at LFS she said it was the size of slightly larger than a softball and fully round. Hopefully it will perk up
check ammonia levels. I had a hammer and my first time I killed it because I did a water change and the temp may have killed off my cycle. oops

OP
OP
Zaxh

Zaxh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check ammonia levels. I had a hammer and my first time I killed it because I did a water change and the temp may have killed off my cycle. oops
I haven’t tested ammonia in a while, but honestly doubt it’s that? I have a bunch of other happy hammers, lps and softies

santeeeyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t tested ammonia in a while, but honestly doubt it’s that? I have a bunch of other happy hammers, lps and softies
I didnt either. but it was a suprise when I brought the water to a lfs to test it while I shopped the morning after because I love free stuff, and its a plus when its a free water test.

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about ammonia if your tanks cycled, you haven't been feeding anything odd, and nothing died. Overall looks like your tank is pretty new so some param swings are to be expected.
If the hammer begins to show signs of death like tissue recession, dropping polyps, etc, you can try to take it back to the lfs for credit! You can also see if any local reefers want it.
But that's the worst case! I think you'll be fine since hammers are pretty tough. Just watch out for brown jelly disease. Goodluck!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back