Will socks remove phyto or bacteria?

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always shut off my UV and skimmer for one hour after dosing phyto.,(tetraselmus), and four hours after bottled bacteria. Would removing filter socks during this time provide any additional benefit or are they too small to be filtered out? I usually use 100 and 200 micron socks but occasionally use 10 micron.

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always shut off my UV and skimmer for one hour after dosing phyto.,(tetraselmus), and four hours after bottled bacteria. Would removing filter socks during this time provide any additional benefit or are they too small to be filtered out? I usually use 100 and 200 micron socks but occasionally use 10 micron.
Where do you get 10 micron filter socks?? I need some as my bigger 200 micron socks still leave floating debris in the water.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would removing filter socks during this time provide any additional benefit or are they too small to be filtered out? I usually use 100 and 200 micron socks but occasionally use 10 micron.
Phyto and bacteria are typically going to be too small even for the 10 micron filters to catch - so the filters shouldn't catch much at all.

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a specific answer for the filtration question-but I would suspect most of the filter socks we use have quite a bit of variation in effective pore size, especially as they get dirty, and so might filter out even some very small particles.

My approach is that my 'feed mode' decreases the return pump flow for about 45 minutes, which is long enough for the most of the fine particulates like phytoplankton to bump into something before going down the overflow into the socks.

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I found them on Amazon. I also have some 5 micron. They were primarily for use when I was fighting dinoflagellates.
Alright, I saw that the amazon link you sent me had a 1-micron choice. Do you think that would be better or would it clog too fast? I'm planning to change them out once a day, until my water is clear.

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont remember the exact micron rating on mine but its kinda fine in the 5 micron range, I have to change them morning and night or they overflow. I expect 1 micron will clog quickly, but if your up to changing them often it will be ok

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add, the 1 and 5 micron filters are small enough that they would catch phyto (not bacteria though).

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this, to keep from straining the Pods out. The Filter Socks, still work based on how often they need to be changed.
IMG_3838.jpeg

fryman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter socks do not filter out phyto or bacteria.

I tried to seperate nannochloropsis and tetraselmis using 5micron filters and found most tetraselmis went right through, even though tetraselmis is 10-15 microns (Nanno is ~4 microns, which is why I attempted in the first place).

I'm guessing because cells are soft-bodied and just "squish" through. Most other types of phyto and bacteria are smaller than tetraselmis, so I don't think you need bother removing your filter socks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 110 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back